Author Topic: 20041230 test build  (Read 30634 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
This is basically a test for 3.6.5 bugfixes and a couple of OpenGL things.  All of this is ready for CVS on my end so if all works for the first couple of people then I'll commit.  Changes are as follows:

- OpenGL spec mapping.  Needs to be tested by everyone.  ATI users make sure this works too.  I think I've gotten all of the bugs out but if not you will be looking mainly for strange errors when viewing capships at certain angles and parts of the HUD going dark.

- The -novbo should no longer be needed.  I've worked around the memory overwrite issue with VBOs and multitexture.  The -novbo option is still there if you want it but using VBOs will give you a bit faster rendering, especially with hi-poly models.  This was an OpenGL only problem so if you don't use OGL then ignore what I just said.

- Speed improvement for OpenGL frame flips.  Don't know how much help this will be exactly but you may get a couple of fps boost out of it.

- Movies should play again.  Wrong type specifier was used which caused the filename/path not to be converted to wide-character string properly.

- Fix issue with the pilot upgrade prompt always showing.  There were two problems here: 1) the file handle was never closed so the old file couldn't be deleted after upgrade, and 2) due to some strange/random issue it would think the old file existed when it really didn't.  I'm now using cf_exist() since it's a better solution anyway and should be a bit faster.

- Some OGG code changes.  I mainly just moved some things around to make a little more sense and to provide a little help for me during the upcoming Linux code merge.  After these changes I have been unable to reproduce the two OGG bugs in Mantis, no looping engine sounds and wrong hit sound.  I didn't test before the changes however.  Please let me know if this is actually fixed.  If it's not then the tables and ogg files that don't work are going to be needed.

- An extra error check for Voodoo users in OpenGL.  FSO requires a supported minimum texture size of 1024x1024 unless it's actually built to work for Voodoo cards.  There will now be an error message if your video card doesn't support this texture size or higher.  The error message is fatal so you will not be able play with an older video card.  Sorry for the people who dealt with the rendering problems to still play but I want to squash future bug reports about these rendering issues.

UPDATED:

New build, don't want a new post on this though.

- capship turrets will shoot at asteroids now so you FSPort lovin players can rejoice.
 - Made currently_enabled_lights for OGL dynamic, not that anyone cares.
 - Work around nebula issue with ships being lit in fog.  This isn't how I want it done but until I do it in a fashion that pleases my stubborness this should hold people over.
 - updated to current CVS.

Also new is an option for a more realistic light model in OpenGL.  The option is going in no matter what but I'm not sure whether or not to make it default or not.  It will be a registry setting but for the purposes of this build it's a cmdline option: -rlm.  It won't show up in the launcher though so you've have to put it in the custom flags yourselves.  It is a little different looking and may be slower.  It's not slower on my test systems but you never know.  If no one likes the way it looks or it's too slow then I'll have it disabled by default.

Again the new (temporary) cmdline option for the new light model is "-rlm".

And now... the build: http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/testing/20050103-win32.zip
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 12:19:19 am by 1252 »

Nothing new for us D3D users? :)
My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
screw D3D. No shineys and I get better FPSage with OGL these days (and its quite stable too!)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Overlord
Nothing new for us D3D users? :)

The frame flip speed up will apply to D3D too but I didn't make the change for this test build.  If there is some strange texture error or something because of it I didn't want to fix it in OGL and D3D.  If it works fine here then when I put it in CVS it will be for both.  Since I'm a Linux guy, if something doesn't help OGL (and therefore me) then I don't really care about it. ;)

Plus OGL is only really missing env mapping now but I've already got half the code in for that.

YaY
*downloads*

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
And like i've been preaching for the last wee(the K is optional :D ), OGL is better than D3D right now :)

Downloading
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 02:24:07 pm by 681 »
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Hippo
preaching for the last wee
:lol:

Sorry, that phrase just struck me as hilarious.  Sounds like a Scottish drinking song or something. :lol:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I'll drink a drink for me
I'll drink a drink for yous
And after another 12
I'll chuck up in the bogs
Or all over you
And when ye're all pissed
i'll preach a wee for youse

Makes Bob Dylan look a shower of ****e, eh? :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:wakka:

Yes.  It works even better when you cross-reference the Scottish and American definitions of "pissed" and "wee". :lol:

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
nice...OGL works flawlwssly for me...and is it just me or is the engine glow clipping bug gone ?
...or did it never exist in OGL ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

WHAT!? OGL SPECMAPPING!?!? THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Taylor you rule. harshly. Even if this doesnt work for me, props to you for trying. I want me shinemaps. I am shinemap deprived (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro)...*sniff* mmmmmmm....*downloads*

EDIT: IT WORKS!!!!!!! :D

I can't thank you enough. I don't care if there's bugs. LOL. None found yet though...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 05:19:49 pm by 1644 »

Offline mitac

Before :

After :

Nice. Now I'll try some missions and let you know of the results.

Edit : uhm, that's the first mission in the nebula :

The nebula has been just a blue wall before, but those ugly white squares on the Hercs are new. Using OpenGL with Radeon 9600 and Catalyst 4.4 (due to D3D), maximum graphics options. I'll try some reduced settings.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 05:47:38 pm by 1928 »
marcet sine adversario virtus.

Just a second while I try nebulas myself. IF they dont have problems, then I suggest you upgrade to the latest Catalyst drivers like I have.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 07:38:53 pm by 1644 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Gregster2k
IT WORKS!!!!!!! :D

Use an ambient factor somewhere between 75 and 78.  Have Lightspeed's textures installed and load up a mission with a bunch of Shivans in it.  I recommened "Into the Lion's Den".  Approximately 1 minute and 32 seconds into the mission, in the inner corner of your left eye, a single tear will form.  It's just beautiful. ;)

Originally posted by mitac
The nebula has been just a blue wall before, but those ugly white squares on the Hercs are new.

If you are using -2d_poof this it's probably causing the blue wall issue.  That option is D3D only and in OGL it messes up.  If you look around in the mission you will probably see a rectangle with all of the nebula bitmaps in it.  The projection gets all wrong with -2d_poof, I'll go ahead a make sure that option gets turned off in OGL mode.  If you are not using -2d_poof then let me know cause something else is wrong there.

White squares suck.  I could have sworn the phreak already fixed that particular problem but I'll see if I'm missing something somewhere.  If it's new then I may have changed something in the updated code that I didn't realize.  I don't get that with my NVIDIA card but I'll try and track it down.  You only get that problem in the nebula right?  Does it happen anywhere else or with other textures?

Offline bigo

By engine glow clipping do you mean the little white lines I see on the ends of the engine glows?

OK, theres no problems like the ones Mitac described, but I have an entirely different problem. All the fighters and ships are *BLACK* in that exact same mission (Mystery of the Trinity).

Im using -ambient_factor 75, by the way...and the sun in the nebula SHOULD still illuminate the ships...but it does not.

That's the only problem. EVERYTHING ELSE IS 100% WORKING AFAIK (W00T!) but in nebulae, the ships aren't illuminated by the sun. Have only tested Trinity to see if Mitac's problem occurred (it didn't.)

OpenGL VBO is NOT disabled (after reading that it is fixed). ALL graphical enhancements are on, including environment mapping, with the exception of PCX compression which is turned off.

Mitac, perhaps you could try turning PCX compression off, running out of video texture memory will do that but kinda sounds backwards to turn PCX compression off then LOL.

NOT using 2D-Poof here btw.

Catalyst Version: LATEST version (Radeon 9800 Pro)

----------------

In response to your (Taylor's) recommendation re. ambient factor: I installed the Z-Pack of the Media VPs cuz im lazy, and installed some of the latest HTL stuff (the "perfect" hercules with beautiful glowpoints and glows is one of them). I use 75 for "realistic" gameplay and I use 100 for between "realism" and "fs2" without compromising eyecandy.

Will try Into the Lion's Den, but can you look into that "ships are black in nebula" problem I've encountered?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 07:46:37 pm by 1644 »

Offline Axem

I get a white square in the tech database. Just a small one though.

Also as soon as I try to go into the mission simulator, it gives me an illegal operation and quits.

I have a Radeon 9600 using Cat 4.4, I'm thinking the outdated drivers may be the problem here though.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
it's.....it's.... beautiful...
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Axem, I don't have those problems
(Radeon 9800 Pro and Catalyst 4.11)
NOTE: Just like 10 is greater than 4, with the ATI drivers, 4.11 is greater than 4.4.)

current officially released ATI catalyst version is 4.12.

Also, Axem, is your 9600 the normal 9600 or 9600 XT? The 9600 XT/SE whatever the heck it is called came AFTER the 9800 Pro and it is understandable that a driver set as old as 4.4 would cause problems with a more recent card like the 9600 XT/SE (again, whatever it is, either XT or SE).

Remember people, Taylor fixed our VBO so you can all turn it back on now...or off, if you think it IS causing the problem :)

Personally, I have mine on. I'll go turn it off and see if it fixes the nebula darkness-ness on ships ---- EDIT: IT DOESN'T. Meh...I don't care. I never paid much attention to details in nebula missions anyway, and this actually makes dem Shivans EASIER TO SEE. Ha. I'm not a nebula person, so this works for me. A minor annoyance until its fixed. At the moment, I'm so happy I got shinemaps (Star Trek compilation I made of Omni's conversions works even!) that I could care less about nebula ship lighting!

Did I mention I LOOOVE that new HTL herc with this build?

Now all I need to complete my fun is some experimental OpenGL shadowing code to screw around with...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 07:58:06 pm by 1644 »

Offline Axem

Yeah, the way of numbering subreleases is kinda screwed up. (In reality 4.4 > 4.11 :p) But I don't upgrade cause I wanted my shiney in D3D.

Its just a plain 9600, no fancy dancy letters at the end of it.