Author Topic: Make Game Easier, and Reduce Waiting Time or Add Option to Skip Stuff  (Read 2128 times)

Offline qzmufu

Make Game Easier, and Reduce Waiting Time or Add Option to Skip Stuff
Hi,

I am an old fan of Wing Commander, I played WC4 as a kid and was addicted to it. You cannot imagine how happy I was to discover this revival. Unfortunately my gaming-skills seem to have suffered over time, or it may simply be the fact that a Thinkpad TrackPoint cannot really replace a joystick. Fact is, I have not been able to destroy a single ship in the game. Once I reach the point when I can engage a ship, I get killed within a minute or so. So I would really enjoy having some aid for rookies.

The first thing that came to my mind would be a training mode. Seriously, it takes me about five minutes in the first mission to even get to enemies. I do not wish to know how many times I listened to the storyline. And the autopilot takes forever. It would thus be an idea to make storyline elements skippable. Another one would be to set up a combat training apart from the storyline.

Alternatively, one could introduce an invulnerability option, like in the old games.

However, I really like the game. Great work, ladies and gentlemen.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Make Game Easier, and Reduce Waiting Time or Add Option to Skip Stuff
Unfortunately my gaming-skills seem to have suffered over time, or it may simply be the fact that a Thinkpad TrackPoint cannot really replace a joystick.

I'd say it's probably the trackpoint, myself... Erm, just grab a mouse and use that - while it lacks the immersive feel of a joystick, it's much more precise I find, and much easier to come by - cheaper too. Sucks to have to keep picking it up and slamming it down to turn, but you get used to that.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If your keyboard has a keypad it's one of the best ways to fly; you can turn extremely well with minimal effort and with practice you'll be able to aim perfectly well. I have no trouble dogfighting with joystick or mouse users.

Offline Shade

Yeah, definitely use the keyboard (no need for a keypad as such, as you can remap the controls) over trackpoint if those are the choices. In fact, keyboard for dogfighting + mouse for long distance shots is as effective as any joystick for those who have gotten used to it.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline qzmufu

Got it figured out - though I'm still playing on super-easy :) real fun!