Author Topic: disable sound in dosbox  (Read 20153 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
disable sound in dosbox
Is there any way to disable the sound in dosbox?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: disable sound in dosbox
there are two ways that come to mind

1 run the games setup/set sound executable and select no sound/no music and run the game without sound drivers loaded (easily done with a launcher like d-fend reloaded (my preferred one)
or
2 run the game normally and in options turn sound/music off using the command or turn the sliders down all the way
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There's also a configuration line in the ini itself that disables all sound.  I forget which one it is though.

Offline Kosh

there are two ways that come to mind

1 run the games setup/set sound executable and select no sound/no music and run the game without sound drivers loaded (easily done with a launcher like d-fend reloaded (my preferred one)
or
2 run the game normally and in options turn sound/music off using the command or turn the sliders down all the way

For the game I was playing that isn't an option I'm afraid. Yes, it's that ancient.

There's also a configuration line in the ini itself that disables all sound.  I forget which one it is though.

Thanks. I think I found it, called "nosound=false". That made it work. :)
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline Shade

That's it. If you don't like manual messing around with config files though, you should get a launcher for dosbox. Makes everything much easier, including selecting no sound on a game-by-game basis :)

Personally, I use DOSBox Game Launcher.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Kosh

That's it. If you don't like manual messing around with config files though, you should get a launcher for dosbox. Makes everything much easier, including selecting no sound on a game-by-game basis :)

Thanks, although I figured hacking ini files brings me partially back to the good old days of days. :D

Brain I/O error

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Burn the HereticTM!!  D-Fend Reloaded is the only way!  :D

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

+1

Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!

+1

Silly sillies! Everyone knows that vi is better. </temptfate>
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found