Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 - There's a demo now  (Read 23780 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: Mass Effect 3 - There's a demo now
A few facts about the DLC (straight from a source I know in Bioware):

1. It was started after the completion of the rest of the game content.
2. It was intended to be post-launch DLC.
3. They finished early and decided to make it day-1 DLC.
4. Putting it in the game would have delayed the release by several weeks due to reprinting, certification, etc.

flimsy. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Only somebody with little to no knowledge of how games publishing works would say that.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
can we talk about mass effect 3 in this thread and make a drm/dlc/digital distro/game prices megathread or something

i think there are genuine issues and definite reasons to be annoyed at bioware/ea but i don't know if we'll really have a productive discussion about them here

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yes, there is a difference between bashing the writing and bashing the game. However, since you have been bashing said writing quite strongly, the assumption that you would not be buying this game is easy to draw. If I had such strong opinions about a story-driven game prior to release, I certainly would invest my 50€ elsewhere.

In addition, as noted in the previous thread, you are NOT BRINGING ANY NEW FACTS INTO THE DISCUSSION. You keep repeating your talking points ad nauseum. We get it, you think the story sucks. And I can certainly see why someone would come to that conclusion. However, at this point, all you are doing is just doing the broken record thing over and over again, which we are quite sick of.

Keep your assumptions to yourself then, as there is nothing "easy to draw". Only what you want to see.

Oh, and I have brought new facts - such as story tidbits. But whatever. I can see you don't want me here.
You may carry on with your drooling. I'm out.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No Trashman, bringing new story bits up is not "bringing in new facts". It's just reiterating old facts over and over again.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I'll say it again, the very concept of a Prothean squaddie obliterates the value of the Prothean sacrifice 50,000 years prior.  Add to that the fact that he's a rasta jackass with a stick up his posterior and it's just too much...
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
look i don't think this is anything but kind of silly but uh

why does it invalidate anything

some asshole got left in a cryo tube in mars, that seems perfectly believable, and it's not like plus or minus one asshole really makes a difference to a whole civilization getting wiped out

forget da reapers man get some of this fine herb

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
But if the cyro systems in the redoubt on Ilos weren't up to the task of functioning for 50,000 years, how did one(s) on Mars manage it?  Also, I don't care how badass he is, given the audio I've heard, he'd be a cancer in the squad and completely unacceptable in a high pressure environment, like a mission to save the universe.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
the Ilos cryo systems were shut down so that they had enough power to keep the vital systems (like the VI) functioning to complete their mission

keeping one douchebag alive when there's little else to power in a totally separate facility is probably easier

also, uh, listen buddy, i have some news for you: people from a certain part of the world talk like that whether they are pothead smokers or the most professional military officers you have ever met. just because you've heard this accent primarily in cool runnings and wow trolls doesn't mean it's not genuinely the way a part of the world talks, dreadlocked rastas and clean-cut soldiers alike

unless you mean something about the actual content of his dialogue which sounded pretty fine by bioware standards? he wasn't like liara talking about the sand in his snatch or anything

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
yeah i just listened aside from his accent he's pretty much standard generic alien i don't see why he's a cancer

dude sounds like he saw some ****

honestly i'm a little impressed they didn't just decide aliens would sound like white people with an echo filter a la protoss and eldar and everybody else

e: mind this is 'impressed' by bioware standards

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
bioware why the christ would you make something as huge as a prothean character dlc

it doesn't make any ****ing sense

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Wasn't commenting on the content of the average Jamaican/random Carribean islander character.  I'm speaking specifically to the content of the dialogue in the link provided earlier in the thread.  He's depressed that his race is dead and is arrogant about how they used to do things.  He'd be a cancer in the unit by obliterating morale saying how "we're all doomed anyway!"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hey, Han survived 3PO saying that every four minutes in Empire without killing his morale. :D

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
new story bits

reiterating old facts .

does not compute.
I like to stare at the sun.

the Ilos cryo systems were shut down so that they had enough power to keep the vital systems (like the VI) functioning to complete their mission

keeping one douchebag alive when there's little else to power in a totally separate facility is probably easier

also, uh, listen buddy, i have some news for you: people from a certain part of the world talk like that whether they are pothead smokers or the most professional military officers you have ever met. just because you've heard this accent primarily in cool runnings and wow trolls doesn't mean it's not genuinely the way a part of the world talks, dreadlocked rastas and clean-cut soldiers alike

unless you mean something about the actual content of his dialogue which sounded pretty fine by bioware standards? he wasn't like liara talking about the sand in his snatch or anything

It better be a heck of a lot more then "A little" easier.  Ilos was a major research facility, with the kind of power systems that implies, and it still had to turn off nearly everyone after a few hundred years.  This guy would've been in Cryo for 50,000 years.

Plus, the timing.  Dear god, the timing.  He goes into hypersleep to avoid death at the hands of omnicidal robots, and sets his alarm to wake him up.... when those same omnicidal robots come back for the next round?  "You know, I'm gonna sleep through this apocalypse, but wake me up for the next one."? 

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
remember what happened to omni-gel

that process seems to have repeated itself on prothean technology

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
He's depressed that his race is dead and is arrogant about how they used to do things.  He'd be a cancer in the unit by obliterating morale saying how "we're all doomed anyway!"

i'm not saying you're wrong but it is a bit late to start thinking about crew dynamics

in the last game we had among other things a notorious murderer, a krogan super-soldier with the mind of a child and an enemy robot

new story bits

reiterating old facts .

does not compute.

It does. We all know that *generic bad guy here* is a bad guy. This is an old fact. Bringing in new examples of that he is a bad guy is still reiterating an old fact, as it adds nothing to what we already know.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
He's depressed that his race is dead and is arrogant about how they used to do things.  He'd be a cancer in the unit by obliterating morale saying how "we're all doomed anyway!"

i'm not saying you're wrong but it is a bit late to start thinking about crew dynamics

in the last game we had among other things a notorious murderer, a krogan super-soldier with the mind of a child and an enemy robot
In my ME2, Jack is reformed and about as respectable as she can get.  Don't misunderstand, she's still and all-powerful *****, but she's mellowed being around Sheperd and coming to understand that the violence and rage doesn't have to control her.
Grunt NEVER had the mind of a child, only the heart of one.
And Legion was never an enemy, he saved my life twice before I said one word to him, only your anti-synthetic prejudice paints him as an enemy.  His people were wronged by the Quarians just as much, if not more than they wronged the Quarians, they only protect the space they occupy now out of a sense of self preservation because the organics would wipe them out if they didn't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
i've had enough of your disingenuous anti-synthetic prejudice ransom!