Author Topic: Mission idea wanted  (Read 3198 times)

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Milords and Miladies!

Imagine the following situation, if you please. Our heroes have, through information provided by a third party, found out that the enemy is hiding in an as yet unknown star system which is, in fact, a nebula system. Now I kind of need/want to have a mission which shows our heroes travelling through that jump node.

Do you have any good ideas on what to do with the situation except "fly through the node a blow a few hostile cruisers/corvettes out of space"? As said, the enemy is hiding and avoiding a direct confrontation (for now, that is ;7). On the other hand, the previous two missions have already been rather peaceful, so a little bit of action might be good.

€: Another idea is to let the player squad attack an asteroid base. What could be done there that goes a little bit beyond "destroy all hostiles in the field"?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 01:00:29 pm by SF-Junky »

You find something unknown in the nebula, which you think is your enemy, but it is unidentifiable, and then the enemy attacks it and you have to protect it.
Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Hide amongst normal node traffic, kind of like a customs checkpoint, then make a break for it without being allowed to fire on friendly forces?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Hmm.

Well, if the protagonists have fleet assets on their side, then maybe they could be supporting a destroyer or corvette team in their quest to take out the enemy fleet. Perhaps some cargo units nearby could add to the idea that the enemy is assembling for a future confrontation (taking these out could be secondary or bonus objective)? After a certain amount of losses sustained, perhaps the enemy deploys a heretofore unknown warship (destroyer, antagonist command ship, maybe a new ship-class?) and wreck havoc on the protagonist's team. Now you cover the retreat.

EDIT: If the nebula is pretty stormy, then maybe an AWACS-like ship could be assisting the enemy fleet's coordination in the nebula. Taking out it's radar dish could slow the arrival of reinforcement fighter/bomber wings. In regard to the asteroid base idea, maybe capturing it instead with troop transports? :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:28:19 pm by Colt »

Minefield, suicide drones jumping in, deactivated remote nukes/Sentry guns suddenly going online... if you want something crazy maybe something like a Mjolnir firing out of a drifting asteroid.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Milords and Miladies!

Imagine the following situation, if you please. Our heroes have, through information provided by a third party, found out that the enemy is hiding in an as yet unknown star system which is, in fact, a nebula system. Now I kind of need/want to have a mission which shows our heroes travelling through that jump node.

Do you have any good ideas on what to do with the situation except "fly through the node a blow a few hostile cruisers/corvettes out of space"? As said, the enemy is hiding and avoiding a direct confrontation (for now, that is ;7). On the other hand, the previous two missions have already been rather peaceful, so a little bit of action might be good.

€: Another idea is to let the player squad attack an asteroid base. What could be done there that goes a little bit beyond "destroy all hostiles in the field"?

Nebula's stormy, sensors scrambled, have the players travel with a warship or several (if plot allows) and start building up the sense there's Enemies Out There. Intermittent contacts, some of them very powerful, but always gone by the time you can reach them. Is the enemy all around us??? Then randomize whether an enemy strike actually occurs, and when. (You'll have to beware about killing the player/failing the mission after lots of buildup and running around, though.)

e: Beam fire from a distant engagement, if plot allows.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
If the Nebula is an unknown system (check) I'd have my protagonist take readings (composition, density, comms and sensor quality) to plan future ops (you know the little things that turn into tactical advantages)

A lot of that can be done with simple tasks - fly x meters from the node, fly speed s for t seconds, fly to point a, get distance x from friendlies, drop a probe which replaces your secondaries, tag a passing ship and watch the signal fade - which can chained, scaled and adapted to fit the point in the narrative.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:49:27 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Addendum to above:
As for the "action requirement", there are always enemy patrol you can drop in semi randomly (as Battuta said), but depending on history with the nebula there could also be clusters of sentries from previous expeditions through the node - e.g protected ressource or salvage claims - which just became forgotten for some reason.

But I'd rather build tension back up instead jumping back into action, so rather go with avoiding confrontation than having it - best by having you guided around them for example (have signals from an AWACs not get through at full brandwith to be beam the targeting data directly to the player or something like that). and of course here are envoirmental hazards you can drop in, e.g. if you combine is-in-box with a check on player speed (friction) or a counter and distance check (radiation) - that also would give some tools to shake up future missions.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
These are good ideas. Thanks for the input. I've also contemplated if I can combine the two ideas. Attack the asteroid base and track an enemy ship through the node into the nebula. But I think I'll make it an AWACS patrol mission including micro jumps (kudos to Vassago's Dirge).

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
*Cracks knuckles with FREDDING intent* Consider my interest peaked.

The nebula mission idea could take multiple routes, you could go the whole Sync/Transcend route and make it a jump scare/horror mission, or turn it into a mission like:

• Player jumps in
  • Player completes objective
  • Mission updates with new objectives
  • New objective spirals out of control
  • Run for it?

EDIT: Misread the whole thread
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 07:58:13 pm by NeonShivan »
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.