Author Topic: Freespace Documentary?  (Read 1013 times)

Freespace Documentary?
Hi folks, I'm new here :)

No hazing procedure or anything for us newbies?

A bit about myself, I'm 25 and I live in New Zealand. I first played freespace when I was 7-8 years old on an old windows 2000 machine, which was our first computer. Boy was I astounded. I remember playing the training modules and hearing the instructors deep authoritative voice. hearing the awesome power of the subach HL-7's and the sassiness of "I can live with being a pawn if the game makes sense!" voice overs. I only had the demo at the time, but the game left a big impact on me in terms of its presentation and production. It held weight with its atmosphere, immersiveness and graphics.

I've just recently finished the actual game itself (the mediaVP one - what a dry name!) and was astounded. Little me would have enjoyed it more.

Anyway, I wonder what happened to Aken Bosch. I felt that side of the story bitter-sweet. Especially when the cutscene signs of with him feeling "joy" at the hope for an alliance with the Shivans.

Anyway, back to the point. Is there like a documentary out there, or a blog, or book/magazine that documents and reflects upon the development of the game? I'm fascinated with the quality of the game and would love to know more about the people who brought it to life. If there is let me know :)

Kia Kaha Pilots
Raul

Re: Freespace Documentary?
There's no real detailed material regarding the creators. The closest you can find on the forum is an interview with the lead writer of FS2 (including a non-canon guess on what happened to Bosch): https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=74745.0
I'd guess you can just visit the :v-old: website.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: Freespace Documentary?
Hi folks, I'm new here :)

No hazing procedure or anything for us newbies?

:welcomeblue:

There used to be an elaborate introduction blurb, complete with flamethrowers and Carl the Shivan.  I got one in 2004, then was away from the forums for about 8 years, and when I came back they were no longer doing those for some reason. 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.