Author Topic: nom nom eating my hardrive space  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: nom nom eating my hardrive space
this is the kind of thing i absolutely refuse to automate. though i have been known to spin off special modified versions of windows install disks. and use those for setup, id rather just have a ghosted partition on file that i can just apply and use right off the bat.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
True.  But you can torrent Windows disks with the latest SP already installed, MD5 = retail.  I'm pretty sure the update process makes some waste in the registry and possibly the file system too.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I just fixed a system with a similar problem.  Issue was windows\installer directory had about 200 copies of the same 4 installer files that were failing on auto-updates.  After removing them the updates worked.  Still waiting on the results to see if the problem returns or there are any side effects.  Note I did not delete any read-only files in that directory or ones with different naming schemes then the windows update ones. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras