Author Topic: Joining The Diaspora Team  (Read 80351 times)

Offline NikosX

• Sound designer
    • TSIMPOUNTIII GAMES
Re: Joining The Diaspora Team
hailz from Greece,
i can help with sound design (effects, dialogues, anything) and with the music. as well as sound editing and stuff, anything with sound and music. you can check an early work of me here http://www.tsimpountiii.gr/free-games (everything you hear there made from me)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Can you get on IRC and have a chat with us (details are in the FAQ thread if you know how to use IRC or you can just click here)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I bumped into this after seeing some coverage on Rock Paper Shotgun, If you need another c/c++ coder, I have good experience at both and I also know a bit of xml too.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Coders are always welcome.
The engine development forum can be found here, and most coders can be reached via IRC on the #scp channel on irc.esper.net.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I bumped into this after seeing some coverage on Rock Paper Shotgun, If you need another c/c++ coder, I have good experience at both and I also know a bit of xml too.

omg yesplz

Do you happen to know OpenGL? Any graphics experience?

I have a passing experience with opengl but nothing concrete

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I have a passing experience with opengl but nothing concrete

Probably still doing better than most. Get on IRC (irc.esper.net), join #diaspora or #scp, talk to Karajorma, Goober, FUBAR, one of 'em.

Got referred to this by szadowsz, I hear youre looking for C++ coders? I dont know any C Im afraid, but I do have access to OpenGL. Were starting to learn it this year in uni(Im in 2nd year on a games course) so while Ive literally just begun to touch it I *should* be able to get help with any difficulties I have. I cant promise Ill be the best coder youve ever seen, but I should be able to do minor support with C++ and hopefully with OpenGL in the future. So if you think you can use me, let me know!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, please. Graphics guys are always welcome. To get in contact with the rest of the coders, go to #scp on irc.esper.net. We can give you a proper tour there.

Ive not had much grounding in graphics, we really are quite basic in our course so far :P All the learning of shiny things is happening from term 2 this year onwards, but Ill see what I can do in the meantime :)
EDIT: Im getting a placeholder page at irc.esper.net, is this a known error that can easily be fixed by telling the newbie how to not be stupid, or something more sinister?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 11:56:25 am by RogueSpear »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Your easiest option is to go to mibbit:

http://www.mibbit.com/

...And join Esper from there, of course adding a user name and punching in the correct channel; the ones you're looking for have already been listed.

That said, I can't get that tab on the HLP page to work, either.  :lol:

I hope that helps.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Forgot to edit again, I did manage to get onto the IRC earlier, theres a helpful link in the FAQ section ^^

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We don't only need graphics coders. Stop scaring people off by acting as if that is our most and only desperate need guys. :p

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
I agree that we're excessively emphasizing the need for graphics coders.

At this point of our dev cycle, any fruits of work started on improving graphics in the engine won't be seen in this upcoming release.  And frankly, even if someone knows OpenGL, I highly doubt that person would be able to contribute anything worthwhile unless said person has actual experience with OpenGL in real-time 3D game engines or that person spends months studying the idiosyncrasies and caveats of our source code.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
True, true.

Hey guy I have a bit of a heavy work load on the run up to christmass so i might not be able to help like I hoped

Offline newman

Real life gets in the way (tm). Happens. Once you do have time and if you're still interested, give us a shout again. We'll be here :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
If you have need for me, give me a shout. If you don't yet know what I can do, I'll list some.

* Tabling - including balancing, weapon effects, debugging, just about anything related to tables.
* Scripting config - can't do LUA but I've written many config files used by scripts.
* Mission debugging - nothing annoys me more than missions that spew debug errors, except tables that spew debug errors. I know how to fred, but I don't intend to do actual releasable missions.
* Project management and asset quality control - I doubt you need such though.

In the past I've worked in The Babylon Project, even as project leader before IPAndrews took over. More recently worked in Blue Planet Age of Aquarius Director's Cut and War in Heaven. Also merged most new visual effects from War in Heaven over to Mediavps 3.6.12.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Added.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Great, thanks. :)