Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 378523 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.2.1
it is the mod author who is responsible for maintaining his own list of mirrors.  Since I don't have access to the MediaVP FSMods FTP (which is where the relevant text files are stored), I can't edit the files to add the mirrors.

Might want to put in a way to override that, either from the application or some other way.  Otherwise for really really old mods, if the link goes dead, and the team isn't available any more, it's curtains as far as the Installer is concerned, unless I'm misunderstanding your post.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
it is the mod author who is responsible for maintaining his own list of mirrors.  Since I don't have access to the MediaVP FSMods FTP (which is where the relevant text files are stored), I can't edit the files to add the mirrors.

Might want to put in a way to override that, either from the application or some other way.  Otherwise for really really old mods, if the link goes dead, and the team isn't available any more, it's curtains as far as the Installer is concerned, unless I'm misunderstanding your post.
If the mod is dead, the master list the installer checks can be updated to point to a different URL. The MediaVPs are hardly dead yet.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The MediaVPs are hardly dead yet.

Well yes.  I meant as a general principle, not otherwise.  So I take it it could be pointed to a new list for an un-maintained mod, maintained by the FSCRP or something?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Yes. Download the relevant config files, update them, upload them to a new host, update the master installer config files to point to the new location.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Quick q, let's say a Mac user deleted all the **** his installer downloaded, and wants to make the installer redownload them: but it won't. Is there a config file he can clear/delete?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Important Note 2: If you'd like to return the Installer to "factory default settings" (for example, if you want the Installer to forget about all the mods it's installed), delete the fsoinstaller.properties file in your profile folder.  On Windows, your profile folder is something like C:\Users\<username>.

Unfortunately I don't know the location of that file on a Mac.  From this page I guess it might be; /Users/USERNAME/fsoinstaller.properties
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Erm, there was a post about this, IIRC Admiral Ralwood answered the location question for Macs.  Let me check..

EDIT: Nuts, I remembered wrong, that was debug log location, and The E and m!m answered it, and it was the location for Windows & archLinux, not MacOS.. :nervous:  Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:05:20 am by jr2 »

The installer is downloading an outdated version of Derelict rather than the 3.7.0 update. How can this be fixed?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Procyon Insurgency too.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Those are mod files I have access to.  Can you provide the links to the new versions?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I don't see any FSMods links for the new PI, and the Installer can't download files directly from ModDB.  And downloading directly from hard-light.net is a no-no for Derelict.  I've PMmed CP5670 and SF-Junky.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:08:57 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
After coordinating with achtung, the new Derelict is now available on the FSOInstaller.

Offline Yasuo

Thanks for your work. Unfortunately I have some problems running it:
On Ubuntu 16.04 with OpenJDK version 9-internal I cant run the installer due to a segmentation fault:

Code: [Select]
java -jar ./FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fe42e9ff009, pid=6779, tid=6835
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (9.0) (build 9-internal+0-2016-04-14-195246.buildd.src)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (9-internal+0-2016-04-14-195246.buildd.src, mixed mode, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, linux-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libjava.so+0x1d009]  JNU_GetEnv+0x19
#
# Core dump will be written. Default location: Core dumps may be processed with "/usr/share/apport/apport %p %s %c %P" (or dumping to /home/yasuo/Programs/core.6779)
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/yasuo/Programs/hs_err_pid6779.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
Aborted (core dump written)

On a different machine with Ubuntu 14.04 and OpenJDK 1.7.0_101 it works (but that computer has a really slow connection and although I used -DconnectionTimeout=0 many downloads fail regularly - I retried a dozen times).

It would be great if you could fix it so it runs with the newer OpenJDK - if that is the reason of the error, I don't get the meaning of " happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.".

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sorry to hear that.  I don't think this is due to any Java incompatibility; the line "happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code" implies that the crash originated in the 7Zip-JBinding extension.  The FSO Installer is already using the latest version of that plugin.

Can you try to narrow down the differences between the machines?  Can you compare Ubuntu 16.04 with 14.04 with the same Java, or OpenJDK 9-internal with OpenJDK 1.7 on the same Ubuntu?  Are the two machines both 64-bit?

Offline Yasuo

The machines are both 64bit.
While I could not install OpenJDK 9 on 14.04, I tested OpenJDK 8 and it worked, just like version 7.

Since I did not want to mess with my 16.04 system, I used a live ubuntu 16.04.1 booting from usb, installed OpenJDK 9 and got the same segfault in native code.
Then I installed OpenJDK 8 and tried again (while making sure I really used version 8) and the installer started without a crash and I could start downloading, so the OpenJDK version is the only difference.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, that's weird.  Is there a logs folder in your working directory, and does it contain anything?  If so, please attach it here.

Offline Yasuo

In logs there are two files, but fsoinstaller.log.lck is empty.
This is the log from my 16.04 system, not from the live-usb
Apart from those, there is also a hs_err_pid18050.log in my homefolder that I quoted partially in my first post. I did not find "jbind" or "7zip" anywhere in it, but this might be interesting:
Code: [Select]
Java Threads: ( => current thread )
  0x00007fc3cc001000 JavaThread "SeedGenerator Thread" daemon [_thread_blocked, id=18110, stack(0x00007fc4000f7000,0x00007fc4001f8000)]
  0x00007fc444010800 JavaThread "DestroyJavaVM" [_thread_blocked, id=18053, stack(0x00007fc4586a8000,0x00007fc4587a9000)]
=>0x00007fc444772000 JavaThread "AWT-EventQueue-0" [_thread_in_native, id=18103, stack(0x00007fc400843000,0x00007fc400944000)]
  0x00007fc444771800 JavaThread "AWT-Shutdown" [_thread_blocked, id=18102, stack(0x00007fc401cfd000,0x00007fc401dfe000)]

Do you know of another software using the 7Zip-JBinding, so I can try if that is the reason of the crash?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:21:05 pm by Yasuo »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I don't, but then again, the program crashes before it ever has a chance to use 7Zip.  The log file cuts off in the middle of assembling the graphical elements.

I can make a custom build with additional logging if you want to try narrowing this down further.

Offline Yasuo

Sure, if it is not too much work for you.