Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2669942 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: A celebration of Freespace
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=106.0
They'll welcome you with open arms, and if you'll be able to keep that pace, you'll be also considered a hero by the rest of the community.  :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Those are LEGENDARY, for "first models" they're something else entirely.

Holy ****.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
pashaw.. PCS2 scaling and removing some weapon points should do the trick.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Oh, don't think I'm that good--I leave UVing to automatic unwrap.  I use 3d coat http://www.3d-coat.com/, which sped up learning how to texture verry quickly (since I already have quite a bit of PS experience), and which has a pretty good automatic unwrapping feature.  My geometry isn't all that detailed either, most of the prettiness in those models are normals and specular.  And I'm also still in high school, so my output is going to drop like a stone come September. 

As for how long I worked on each thing, I started pretty slowly, but the Vulture (the one with the wide sweepy "wings") took around 1 day (5 hours) to get base geomety, 1 day to do submodels and other things, and begin laying out a texture, and 1 day to finalize texture, rig, and do basic (really unbalanced at the moment) tabling on. 

Edit:  My geometry:  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/215663/vulture.JPG.  Really basic.  (This took about ~3 hours)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:47:57 pm by BlasterNT »

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=106.0
They'll welcome you with open arms, and if you'll be able to keep that pace, you'll be also considered a hero by the rest of the community.  :)
Inferno probably would too
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

ITT: Pimping.

Hmm, I dunno if I could offer the commitment required to join another mod...  highschool and teenagerhood come with a lot of spontaneous RL breaks...  And apologies, but I'd also like to work on my own little project--I've had the story and universe in my head since 2007.  :D

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Indeed, modelling for multiple projects might be a bit hard.
Maybe that autoUVer could come in handy for BWO though. That'd cut out one step which is considered a really tedious part of modeling (and thus, nobody likes doing it, from what I've seen).

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Egads...

Please do not allow AutoUV become a staple around here just because people refuse to UV map...

AutoUV is definitely not the best choice...

Yeah, sorry about that... I just wanted the models ingame as fast as possible, which meant cutting some corners

The maps it generates are pretty decent, if you have good geometry. 
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_o_UNzWCEW0/TjdNqmRmSfI/AAAAAAAAAtc/VZo8mcY5aJg/s800/vulture.png  <--This was done entirely using automatic mapping. 

I'd be happy to pass models through 3d coat and send them back, but as mjn said, that's not the best option. 

Offline Kolgena

Thought thumbnails would be better than 20 megs of straight images in one post. All pictures taken in bp massive battle. FXAA on, using Valathil's newest lighting.

Wow, Massive Battle looks fantastic with the new lighting.  The first picture in particular. 

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
BlasterNT: You should consider looking at the recent Earth Defence modeldump - their fighters seem to have a similar colour scheme, you might find one or two that you can retask for your TC, cut down the workload a bit.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I just finished looking through 400 pages of amazing
It also took me that long to finish the campaign with the MediaVPs. I'm so very happy to have this new computer

When I wasn't gawking at the ships, I was gawking at the surrounding scenery
"No"

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
BlasterNT: Holy crap.  I mean dayum.  My first model took an awful lot longer than 3 days to do, and it looked 100x worse.  Massive props, mate.  You've got some serious skill there.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
BlasterNT: I've always liked it when people want to present something entirely new to the table instead of something from the FS verse or another IP. I've attempted myself to do something entirely original as well, but I feel as though I'm not up to it in terms of talent. You're already ahead of me by miles. Then again, that doesn't take too much work to accomplish.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

esarai:  Thanks!  The first model (Sabre, the triangly one) actually took an entire week, cause I had to puzzle out the proper way to convert the model to import sucesssfully to PCS2--you'll notice some of the geometry issues that accumulated over that course of time.  Texturing took a bit of time to figure out a style to stick with as well.  But yeah, it's been 2 weeks since then, and once I got all the basics figured out (the tutorials in the forum and wiki are a big help!), I can work much faster. 

Andrew of Doom: Thanks!  I'm sure that converting Stellar Assault over to FreeSpace at that degree of speed is no small feat either. 

Organics!

How would I go about making this animate?  I just want the back "tentacles" to wave around, and I have them set up so that each tentacle is 2 subobjects, like this
detail0->tentacle1a->tentacle1b
and the pivot points for each subobject at the terminal point of its parent. 

Offline Darius

Aiee! That looks incredible.

It'll be good with an invisible beam so that it kills you by looking at you.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Tell it along which axis to rotate and then write the flag there in the options (circled) which is the length of time for a full rotation, iirc. I'm pretty sure there are more advanced options.. I just don't know how they work. But everything is done there in PCS2.

[attachment deleted by ninja]