Author Topic: optimal gfx card for FSO  (Read 9070 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: optimal gfx card for FSO
I'd just assumed when I did the download that older variants wouldn't be offered, especially given the compatibility with newer mods.
3.7.2 Final hasn't been released yet, so the last "stable" release was technically 3.7.0 (personally, I find 3.7.2 RC4 to be more stable than 3.7.0, but the fact that it's still a release candidate is why 3.7.0 is still offered in the installer).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

3.7.0, after you mentioned 3.7.2 RC4 I went into my FS2 folder and noticed several variants of the 3.7.X string.

I'd just assumed when I did the download that older variants wouldn't be offered, especially given the compatibility with newer mods.

FreeSpace Installer installs whatever you tell it to. When you see the big list of things to be downloaded and installed, everything that has a check in the check box will be downloaded and installed.

So, what's the exact name of the 3.7.2 RC4 .exe are you using? I recommend using fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4.exe. In FreeSpace Installer, this is "FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 Windows Standard". It probably should have been named "FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 Windows SSE2", but for some reason they chose "Windows Standard". I'm guessing that it's able to take advantage of more than just the SSE2 CPU instructions. Regardless, this is the one to use if you have a very modern CPU, like the one you have.
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It probably should have been named "FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 Windows SSE2", but for some reason they chose "Windows Standard".
That's because SSE2 is the standard; the vast majority of CPUs out there today can handle it.

I'm guessing that it's able to take advantage of more than just the SSE2 CPU instructions.
Nope.

Regardless, this is the one to use if you have a very modern CPU, like the one you have.
Not really; modern CPUs can handle AVX, which isn't currently offered in standard releases (but you can compile an AVX build yourself).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

It probably should have been named "FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 Windows SSE2", but for some reason they chose "Windows Standard".
That's because SSE2 is the standard; the vast majority of CPUs out there today can handle it.

If it had just been named "FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 Windows SSE2", then it would be straight forward and it would also be consistent with the naming of the others. When I saw "FreeSpace Open 3.7.0 Windows SSE2" and then later was told that I'd be happier with 3.7.2 RC4, I immediately went looking for "FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 Windows SSE2". I saw "FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 Windows SSE", but no "SSE2" - just "Windows Standard". Yes, of course I eventually clicked "More Info", but it did leave me slightly annoyed that its name is inconsistent because if it had been, then I would have immediately started the download instead (that is, there would have been no question about it; no thinking or wondering).

I'm guessing that it's able to take advantage of more than just the SSE2 CPU instructions.
Nope.

Yeah, I figured that out from the first part of your correction above. Thanks anyway. :P

Regardless, this is the one to use if you have a very modern CPU, like the one you have.
Not really; modern CPUs can handle AVX, which isn't currently offered in standard releases (but you can compile an AVX build yourself).

I know, but I was over-simplifying it because I feel that it's better to assume that not everyone on here is as much of a computer geek as I am (I try to avoid assuming that everyone knows what I know). I didn't feel that it's necessary to go into all of that because I felt that it could have just confused things even further. I felt that it was much better to make sure that I knew that he knew that he didn't have to worry about his CPU.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:00:50 pm by TwoCables »
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?