Author Topic: AI sound deepfakes  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Luis Dias

So has anyone actually looked into using AI deepfakes in order to cut through the necessity of VOs in anyone's mods?

You could not only VO certain chapters of your mods that were VOd in previous ones just using those samples as references, you could even use other canon voices, like admiral Petrarch or whatever.

Maybe this is something that has been in your minds since ages, and I'm an idiot for bringing this up, I'm just asking where your thoughts are on this.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
That video is about deepfaking faces, there is only like 1 audio sample in there. . . Doesn't tell me much. .

Interesting idea though, probably not good for emotions and whatnot.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Darius

Pretty much. There's some software out there that works on machine learning to recreate speech already, but as you can imagine the AI doesn't know how to take context into account so is unable to convey emotion. I've been using a few of them in Solaris with mixed results.

Finally I can make my own Tagesschau :D

Pretty much. There's some software out there that works on machine learning to recreate speech already, but as you can imagine the AI doesn't know how to take context into account so is unable to convey emotion. I've been using a few of them in Solaris with mixed results.

Mind providing a list for that?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
to cut through the necessity of VOs in anyone's mods?

IMO Voice acting is not essential except for a limited number of genres, such as Horror.

This might be the acquired bias from years of cRPG fandom talking.

you could even use other canon voices, like admiral Petrarch or whatever.

Maybe this is something that has been in your minds since ages, and I'm an idiot for bringing this up, I'm just asking where your thoughts are on this.

I would consider that application to be unethical. It is one (acceptable) thing to substitute an actor with another for a role; after all the role does not belong to the actor, it's their interpretation of the role that does.

However using technical means to mimic another person's voice without their consent is a different matter entirely. (If consent is given, the matter is changes significantly - it would acceptable but aweful, and recasting would be preferrable.)

For one, not recasting is to essentially deprive the actor to be newly cast of an opportunity. Secondly, this has the potential to narrow the range of performances you present to your audience.

Thirdly, (its a different argument so it has to be) Additionally, actors can be a great source of feedback, esspecially when it comes to sensitivy in writing. Having them alter or refuse a line and then to engage in a dialogue about said alteration or refusal can make you a better writer.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 04:52:05 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Luis Dias

I had not thought of the ethical implications, because I'm dumb. I just thought, "hey admiral Petrarch is dead, so what", because, again, I'm a simpleton.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I had not thought of the ethical implications, because I'm dumb. I just thought, "hey admiral Petrarch is dead, so what", because, again, I'm a simpleton.

Its less about being dump, more about the debate being pretty niche - With completely likenesses you have examples such as Rogue One - A Star Wars Story and there the ethical question was quickly overshadowed by the technology not being all there; it probably going to be bigger once we see Finding Jack and recreated likeness of James Dean in that movie (esspecially since the fans of James Dean are certainly of a different disposition as the vocal Star Wars fans....)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."