Author Topic: Dark Messiah of Might & Magic  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
The demo just got out, just a simple 1.4gb containing a part of a level and tutorial, download links:

http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1096485473/

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/9233/Dark+Messiah+of+Might+&+Magic+Demo

Also I wanted to know if anybody else here is waiting for this great game! :yes:

*A bit of a rant: isnt ridiculous that the size of the demos now are absurd? 1.4gb for a part of a level and tutorial is way too much, the Dungeon Siege 2 and Empire at War is also good examples of this.*

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Re: Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
Yeah, but the Empire at War had waaaay more than they actually used, as in you could hack the demo to get practically the full version.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I love this game.

<3

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Demo's out; a whopping 1.4 gig. That took a while. But guess what? It was MORE than worth it. I've played the first major combat section in it about...30 times now. Sad, yes, but oh so very fun.

Let's take a look at how awesome this game is:

*Excellent graphics, thanks to skillfull use of the Source engine
*Realistic fighting
*Innovative ways to kill stuff(set your arrow on fire, kick them over edges, kick them into spiked walls, set off traps, etc)
*Nifty skills system
*Good AI, at least in my experience
*And goddamn dismemberments

Oh my goodness. So very fun. The only problem(which I have no doubt will be rectified in the full version) is the two maps included were very linear. But that's kind of to be expected, no? And anyway, not everything can be as widescale as the Elder Scrolls.

Other people who've played, please post your reviews.

Edit: heh, looks like I was a second too late. Thanks to mods for moving mine in here.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 10:56:55 am by Ghost »
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I must admit I'm impressed. They actually managed to make a first person action RPG fun to play. I never thought I'd see the day. The download size was really a bit excessive, though.

One thing that bothered me about the game was the spiked walls and the traps in the second area -- why were they there in the first place? The traps could perhaps be explained depending on the context (which wasn't supplied in the demo), but the spiked walls seemed overly deliberate. I also didn't like the manner in which the enemies kept respawning out of nowhere, but I've assumed that's to give the demo a longer play time. And it remains to be seen just how solid the game's story is.

It all feels terribly immersive, anyway, and the game is certainly very polished. The ability to just kick an enemy off the edge was a feature more than welcome.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Really good demo, but sadly a bit short and the worst is that my computer cant handle it well, it's runs with some slowdown even with everything turned off, if there could be a 800x600 mode, it would run much better, I guess. Hope they'll think of something for the slower machines.

Aside from that, it was great, I really look forward to the full game. The combat was awesome, the AI doesnt let down either, those blasted Orcs! :ick:

Offline ME$$ENGER

• The Yellow Peril
Actually I was a bit dissapointed by the fact that traps & spike walls only hurt/kill your enemies, not you (walk into the swinging log and see for yourself). Kinda makes you wonder why the orcs put the traps there in the first place (so some thief could come in and kill them with their own traps?). I guess it's more or less a design decision meant to simplify stuff.

BTW, there's a console command that lets you spawn the cyclop and actually fight it. It's on celestial heavens. Go check it out if you haven't uninstalled the demo. :)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I tried to demo, seemed like a decent game but a close-combat FPS is just too weird. The game became difficult when I had to take on two orcs same time. Never really had the feel for playing close-combat FPS'.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Personally, I do not like FPS, but for this game I am going to make an exception. Fantastic moves, realistic graphic. It is just sad, that the demo version is so short. Well, I guess I'll go to Games Conventions in Leipzig and try it out there :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Wasn't their talks about changing the location of the GC to another City or did it stayed in Leipzig?
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
for the time being
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis