Author Topic: Mouse trapped in upper left portion of screen at 2560x1440  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Objekt

Mouse trapped in upper left portion of screen at 2560x1440
Haven't played FSPort in quite a while.  Got a 2560x1440 monitor and new video card (GeForce 970) recently and decided to give it a try.

The game launches, but...I can't get into a mission.  In fact, I can't do a lot of things.  The mouse pointer will not move outside of an area that spans from the upper left corner of the screen to about 1/3 of the way diagonally from the lower right corner of the screen.  Or, it's almost as if the mouse pointer were trapped on a smaller display (perhaps 1024x768) pushed up into the upper left corner of the screen.

As a result, I cannot click on "Continue" to launch a mission from the briefing.  Or a lot of other GUI items.

I'm not sure where to start with this - should I post a log file?

FWIW, I tried it with these executables so far:
FS2 Open 3.7.2 (RC4) SSE
FS2 Open 3.7.2 (RC4) NO SSE
FS2 Open 3.7.0 SSE

Same result for all.  Is this is a known issue, or am I just "lucky?"  :blah:

FWIW, here's my command line, from the launcher "Advanced Settings" tab:
Code: [Select]
E:\fs2gog\fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4_NO-SSE.exe -mod fsport-mediavps,fsport,mediavps_3612 -3dshockwave -fxaa
-snd_preload -ambient_factor 75 -spec_exp 11 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.8 -spec_tube 0.4 -ogl_spec 60
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:39:11 pm by Objekt »

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Mouse trapped in upper left portion of screen at 2560x1440
Yeah, that happens occasionally. OS thinks the window size of the game is 1024x768 even though your graphics card stretches it way out. Double check the resolution settings on your launcher to make sure they're at your desired resolution, and maybe also poke around your graphics card's settings (like AMD's Catalyst manager) to see if there's any settings that will automatically stretch lower resolution windows to your full resolution.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You could also try adding this command line option:

-res 2560x1440
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm 99% sure this is caused by DPI scaling. Try disabling it.

Also, 3.7.2 RC4 is outdated. The final version of 3.7.2 is based on 3.7.2 RC6, so you're basically missing two sets of updates/bugfixes (and there's no reason to use a Release Candidate when there was an actual release).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Objekt

I grabbed two of the 3.7.2 executables - both regular, and SSE.

Also used the command line flag to be sure FS2 is actually running at 2560x1440 (my monitor verifies that it is).

No effect on the problem, unfortunately.

Which DPI scaling?  Are we talking about a FS2 Open feature, or a Windows system setting?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FYI, 'regular' = SSE2, which means you should use it unless you have an old CPU.  If not, use SSE, if not, use non-SSE.

We are talking about a Windows Compatibility setting, right-click the .exe you are using and then Properties, then compatibility settings.  If you get that working using that, then set it that way for all FS executables.  Maybe leave yourself a note as a text file in the FS2 directory to do that for future releases as well.

Offline Objekt

The DPI scaling thing did the trick.  Thanks!

I also did not have any further display weirdness (missing/stretched HUD etc.).

What I did have was a problem I've seen for some time, that hasn't totally gone away.

Once or twice, the video froze briefly just before a sound played.  I think it was someone speaking, both times it happened.  As if the game froze up while it was loading the voice clip.

Is there any way to fix that?  It's very, very annoying.  I've had it happen in some older games, but never in newer stuff (e.g. GTA V), so I'm pretty sure it's not a systemic issue unique to my hardware/software.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:25:03 am by Objekt »

Try: Advanced settings - Audio - Preload mission game sounds
-snd_preload

Offline m!m

It could be helpful if you tried the Antipodes test builds as those may already have support for high-DPI monitors (but I am not sure about that). To do that download one of the test builds from this thread (the SSE2 one should be safe) and also make sure that you download and unpack the SDL libraries to the location where you unpacked the builds.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
[Resists urge to make cheese reference]
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Objekt

Try: Advanced settings - Audio - Preload mission game sounds
-snd_preload
Already using that option.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Using OpenAL?  Try OpenAL Soft?

Offline Objekt

Using OpenAL?  Try OpenAL Soft?
I am using OpenAL 1.1.  I found OpenAL Soft and I guess I'll give it a try.

The audio glitches are frequent and really distracting.  I just finished the final mission in the FSPort, and it seemed particularly bad.  Constant small pauses just before speech clips or sounds played.  Ugh.

FWIW, I tried the Antipodes build (SSE2 flavor).  My joystick didn't work at all.  As if it wasn't connected.

Offline Objekt

Also, is there any consistent fix for HUD elements and text being way too small at 2560x1440?

I didn't have this problem with FSPort, but in Blue Planet the HUD and text are way too tiny.

With the Transcend mod the sizes of HUD and text are fine.

Is there a real fix for this problem?  I found a thread here http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87797.0 discussing the problem, but the attachment was removed so I can't download the table file mentioned.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The contents of the removed attachment were in a post linked from that thread (specifically this one).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Objekt

Thanks, I got it straightened out!

Still having the audio-induced lag problem (if that's the proper terminology).  Which is super annoying...

I'm thinking of doing a fresh Windows reinstall.  It's been a few years, and sometimes that will solve mysterious issues.  Now, where did I put my Windows 8.1 installation media (I'm not ready for Windows 10 on my desktop yet!).