Author Topic: WCS' new Thunderbolt VII model!!  (Read 7738 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
WCS' new Thunderbolt VII model!!
Originally posted by IceFire
Well you still have to use some tiling on capital ships for sure.  Not going to get away with that...Bobboau still does it :)

Its just that HT&L has more trouble with tons of textures than tons of polys.  Or so I'm told.  So it means that if you have a pile of fighters with multiple textures each then you get slow downs...Venom's GTF Banshee is a prime example.

Better not use the Microsol Consortium's freighter (reskinned Cyllene from Inferno) in large groups then. It has 15-20 textures.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Lynx

You don't have to advertise your mod with every post you make-especially if this post doesn't have about nothing to do with the topic of the thread, Woolie.:rolleyes:
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Lynx: Cockpit looks bad. Else than that it's pretty cool.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Lightspeed
Lynx: Cockpit looks bad. Else than that it's pretty cool.

is it the model itself od just the texture map?
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Tolwyn

is it the model itself od just the texture map?

Bit of both IMO.  I think - and I'm not sure if you'd consider this clashing with WC canon - you should add 'rims' to more clearly indicate where the glass and hull plates meet.  At the mo it looks odd because there's no logical point of joining, i.e. it joins the hull too cleanly.  that or actually recess the windows geometry into the hull (may not be possible depending on your model design).

i.e.

(Specifically where the bottom / rear cockpit joins the hull....)

Offline Lynx

I understand what you mean with the cockpit. The first model by Lars had it, but I removed it(among a few other minor things) since I thought it is a waste of polies but now that you mention it...
Since this model still needs some fixing some texturing, spec mapping and smoothing errors, so I have to rearrange some of the vertices and polies, I might get it back in. And I might even texture(and glowmap if it's not too much of a resource hog) all the cockpits of the fighters at a later stage, since I tried it with one model and it looked just lovely.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Lynx

Hey Bobbau; I got ahold of a high res render of the THUD and smoothed out the edges at the main body and wings, and recessed the cockpit a bit (it's not very visible, but IMO anymore would have looked wierd). And added some mere details to the texture. It looks much better now IMO, and with the additional polies and edges it can finally be smoothed without the vertex lighting showing it's ugly face everywhere on the model. How do you like it now?

I still have to model a LOD and hand it over to Starman to convert. I'll post ingame footage ASAP.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Not sure it was there in the first version too, but make a darker
texture were the gunmounts spread out of the hull.

Excellent texturing btw :yes:
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Lynx

As for the shading: I already made a dummy convert with a tiling texture to test this, and it looks incredible. The edges of the wings are smoothed as well as the main body. It almost look like the real thing.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
oh, wow, that looks much better IMO

three items now seperate this model from being god like perfection:
1)the cockpit should have the glass recessed a little more, I didn't even realised it was at all untill I re-read your post, make it about as deep as that cross bar is wide (or at least half of that)

2)on the inside surface of the engines there should be a small lip and the exposed machinery should be resesed

I'd say this is the only thing I think is realy important out of all of these and would have the greatest effect

3)a very suble bend should be added to the engine pods and the thing in the center

that's the maximum I would sudgest moveing it,
this will serve two perposes, first it will improve the lighting, second, there is a Phycological phenomenom with strait lines, slight curves make things more real, bigger, thougher.

it might also be advisable to think about adding the same edge smothing techniqe you used on the cockpit and sides of the engines to the weapon pods on the sides of the cockpit, but I'm not sure about this.

but I want to reiderate, it looks _great_ now.
I can be please :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 02:45:04 pm by 57 »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Lynx

Recessed the cockpit a bit more and recessed the tech stuff on the inner side of the wings(it's not very visible on this screen though), here's a screenshot taken in Aurora with correct shinemapping and a yellow backlit cockpit.
While the shading is a lot better with the new details it's still screwy around the cockpit and I don't think I can fix it with TS. Sometimes I wish TS was a living being so that I could rip out it's throat and piss on it's dead body.:mad:

Anyway, it looks still very good:

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
exelent
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
The cockpit looks great now.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Bobboau
excellent

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
agreed :D
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Lynx

Here are two ingame screens I took from it while testing something:

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
That looks superb now! Thanks!
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.