Author Topic: Razor starfighter  (Read 5759 times)

Offline Lynx

Allright people, here's something new:

Possibly the second most succesful private industries fighter behind the Talon, the Razor ranks as the top light fighter. No other craft can match its price performance value out on the market, both private and military craft. The shields and armor are really, really thin, but the speed and maneuverability more than make up for it.

Credits for this pretty ship go to gevatter Lars(model) and Lynx(minor model adjustments and texturing).
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

ehm.. i never saw this ship (??) From which WC Game is this Ship?

BTW: It looks great
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline Lynx

It's a craft commonly used by pirates in Wing Commander IV: The price of Freedom.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

One other reason it's so useful in private hands:
12 missiles, yes, 12.  That's a lot.  That's more than *any* Confed line ship except the Longbow, which is a bomber.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Lynx

It carries 8 missiles.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Looks good, 'cept cockpit looks a bit tacked on.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
this looks great,

the only thing that could use any work at all is the cockpit. (could use a bit of trim)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

I saw a source one time that quoted it as 12 missiles, not 8, but you're right, Lynx, according to the CIC.  My oops.

Aldo, this is a cheap light fighter.  The cockpit may actually *be* tacked on and held there by duct tape.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think just haveing a thin metal frame around it would make it look alittle better, just around the edges
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Here is the original model:

As you can see, it does not have any struts. It surely could make the model look a tad better, although I doubt it, but out intention was to stay as close to the original as possible. There are bigger fighting planes today that have full glass bulbs, not to mention that it's pretty easy to assume that whatever they made up for cockpits being made of in WC is much more robust that anything used on planes.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Other thing is that with a one-way glas the struds could be inside ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The sudden transition from bare metal->glass just looks subtly wrong to me.  I think there should be some sort of rim round it, especially as the cockpit is recessed.

EDIT; like
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 05:33:05 am by 181 »

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Even if its not visible during a firefight it would be ok to give the border somekind of "connection" texture...but I wouldn't change anything on the geometrie now.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that's all that is being sudgested a bit of a border texture, if you do that, it'll be perfict
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Well I am quite sure Lynx can do something like that.

Offline Lynx

Ah, that you mean. I thought you wanted cockpit struts.

Offline Lynx

Finally, I got overmyself to make shinemaps for that baby:

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Very nice cockpit recession. A bit heavy on cockpit shine - I think the Thunderbolt has it cooler. But then again, the Razor's not as important as ship in WCS as the Thud I suppose.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you should try 3d cockpits :)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Lynx

Originally posted by Ypoknons
A bit heavy on cockpit shine - I think the Thunderbolt has it cooler.

that's because the cockpit is bigger in relation to the ships body compared to the Thunderbolt, so there's more shine.

About the 3d cockpits, sure they look cool, but I won't go rework all the  fighter models to incorporate that since I think it's too much hassle for not enough gain. Those cockpits aren't that obvious  ingame anyways other than the techroom and chasecam, and glowmapped cockpits look almost as good.

And if we incorporate 3d cockpits(which we inevitable will) we won't need them anyways. I've run a few tests and with your detail code I can model a super high res cockpit submodel and put it as subobject there so that I won't have to rework all the ship models again.