Author Topic: Prologue Released!  (Read 184928 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
um, no, fadeing would not help, it would defete the purpose of detail boxes though in causeing them to draw vastly slower than they otherwise would, transparency is a bit slow especaly because it needs to be sorted to draw properly.

you don't complain about LOD versions popping, it's exactly the same thing, you just need to set things up so it isn't noticable, if you set up LOD distances wrong you'll have the same problem.

also the video you keep refering to, IIRC he specificly set things to demonstrait how the subobjects come into view, so it was done that way on purpose to let you see how it works.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, I finished the prologue. IMO, the final mission is a tad too hard, even on Easy. (No, not Very Easy.) I was trying to finish that mission 4 times, when I switched to Easy, I had a slightly better time, but the crossfire from those cruisers are bloody ****in' murder. And I LOVE how you put that tearjerker moment in there. :D

Spoiler (we need spoiler tags):

The Wellington's engines cut out at the last minute so close to the jump waypoint? How cliche. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

LOD popping on fighters isn't a problem, because they never stick around in one place long enough to matter, cap ships can pop if theres a big enough change between lods.  If there was more than 4 lods then it wouldn't probably be unnoticeable (or just barely)

Actually haven't seen detail  boxing being used yet so I can't really say anything.  Once I get my waterloo finished then I'll see how bad it could be.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 02:19:42 am by Scooby_Doo »
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,43649.0.html
thread showing it off,
note the third post
"Yeah. I turned down the model quality slider in the options to make the effect more visible. (Which made plopping-up worse.)"
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Manunkind

• Ummm...
Just finished it. Great work. Big thanks to the team  :D !

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
@Kernal
Sorry their are so much things that we might sometimes overlook something.

If a main character dosn't survive its not a main character ^_^
As for who survives and who dosn't...I won't tell, but their are characters you will meat again and others you won't. Think of it this way...its war and sometimes people/character you like die..thats the way it is and in Saga we wanted to give a little bit of "realism" to the entire game. The Saga is a little bit darker then most of the other games of the series.
or as it was said "...looses are part of this war Sandman..."

@Bob
Oh didn't read this part....thats why. Well maybe we could reconcider it for the main release. Time will tell.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Do I need a special fs2_open build for wcsaga?
I'm trying to run it under Linux, but it won't work. (yes, I've set the wcsaga-flag).

Error-Message:
Code: [Select]
./fs2_open_noinf_r_3.9 -mod wcsaga -wcsaga
ERROR: "Invalid ship class name.  In sexpression: ( when     ( destroyed-or-departed-delay        10        "Aquarius"        "Leo"        "Gemini"        "Scorpio"        "Capricorn 1"        "Capricorn 2"        "Glorious"        "Impervious" " at mission/missionparse.cpp:5792

If I need a special build:
When will it be released? Can I get the source somewhere?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The Linux installer will be released tomorrow.  It is customized, to avoid certain mod/pilot issues, but not special in any way.  Those customizations aren't required to play though, just to help prevent install/usability issues.

Great stuff.  Nice missions, good voice acting, good writing.

And don't listen to Cobra.  If you stick near the carrier and take on those worthless fighters, it's quite easy.  It's a bit depressing how much damage the Terran ships take killing the Kilrathi cruisers without help, though...  :D

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
And don't listen to Cobra.  If you stick near the carrier and take on those worthless fighters, it's quite easy.  It's a bit depressing how much damage the Terran ships take killing the Kilrathi cruisers without help, though...  :D

Shut up, I'm gung-ho. :P Besides, you should have seen me dodging like my ass was on fire. Didn't take a single hit till I killed myself with my own missile blast. :D

Anyway, it wasn't just the last part, it was the freaking swarms. once I was halfway through when 2 missiles from 2 Gothri B's hit the Wellington. Boom, I lose.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
There is a special tactic for the last few missions (though this one always counts on capitalship fights).

spoiler:

Torpedos are the most dangerous weapons in WC. Take a look at the enemy cruisers which torpedo launcher is firing (only one is active per ship). Then either wait till the confed cruisers take out their front shields or do it yourself (though you will need 3 attack runs with full weapons energy for this :) ) Then take out the torpedo launcher, this makes the confed cruisers win the battle.

Also when enemy bombers show up on the scene, they have the highest priority
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Well, time to say how AWSOME is what you have pyt toether. the gamplay, the graphics the movies everything.

As for voice acting - Sphynx I'm your fan forever :nod:, but i really liked other voices as well, among them really liked the TCS George Custer comm officer - pity you had so little female parts - I hope more will come with the full release.

as for the missions - well the only reason i didn't fail the keep formation situation in mission 2 was thet i was having some problems with installation and thus i read the soulution before actually playing the mod :D, but otherwise it's great, spetially liked the last two missions.

One thing i noticed - all turrets on capshhips (except torp launchers) are described as "laser turrets", lasers, AMGs and destroyer's tachyon turret alike. I know that in wc3/4 the turrets had no description, but IMO you should either change the names for each turret type, or rename them all "gun turrets"

But generally the game is GREAT even in low details (really have to upgrade my PC :mad: )keep it the lthis level.

Oh BTW you shoud change the description of the download section on your webside, it's not up to date now:
As soon as the prologue and main release are available, you will have access to them here. We will also pay close attention to fan feedback and address any issues in patches, which will also be available here. In the mean time, check out our selections of music tracks.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga

One thing i noticed - all turrets on capshhips (except torp launchers) are described as "laser turrets", lasers, AMGs and destroyer's tachyon turret alike. I know that in wc3/4 the turrets had no description, but IMO you should either change the names for each turret type, or rename them all "gun turrets"

That's not possible. It's hardcoded and the game only recognize Missile, laser and beam turrets. Just aim for the big turrets :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I got to say the whole way after burners worked in this was realy fun.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Sphynx

Well, time to say how AWSOME is what you have pyt toether. the gamplay, the graphics the movies everything.

As for voice acting - Sphynx I'm your fan forever :nod:, but i really liked other voices as well, among them really liked the TCS George Custer comm officer - pity you had so little female parts - I hope more will come with the full release.

Thanks, Mancubus! I really care about this project so I put a lot of effort into it. I'm glad it works for you. Oh, and that TCS George Custer comm officer voice is actually my wife. She's a good sport to work with me on this project, and I consider myself a very lucky man.

I'm glad you have enjoyed it and look forward to getting you the full campaign when it is finished. :)
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline KeldorKatarn

One question here: is it just me or do the heat seekers lock even if you're not facing the tail of an enemy? engine limitations?

Offline Sphynx

Yes on both accounts. Keen observation. :)
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline KeldorKatarn

What exactly are currently the differences between IR and HS?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
HS is faster and has a little more damage.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline TimoK

Just registered to say great job guys. i like what you did with the storyline, i quite felt for the characters... i thought ninja bought it in the last mission and went "oh man ninja didn't make it", but was mistaken of course. The tense moment after wellington got blown up was great.

However, i first played the game on easy difficulty and man was it hard... i got killed in seconds in the first pirate encounter. had to lower the difficulty to very easy, which felt just right.
Also, being able to save games during missions would be good. I felt like i was wasting my time going through empty navpoints over and and over when i restarted a mission.