Author Topic: Cockpits Redux  (Read 17470 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
For this week’s update, we would like to give you a sneak preview of the Longbow cockpit. Although cockpits weren’t included in the prologue campaign, they will be available in the upcoming full release. We have tried to stay as faithful as possible to the original cockpit designs, as seen in Wing Commander 3. In fact, some upcoming code changes in the SCP engine will allow us to do a few things with cockpits that we didn’t think were possible until now… but you’ll have to wait until later to hear more about that. Check out the Longbow cockpit (created by our newest member limdaelp) below:

Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Captain Moran

• WCS Voice Actor
Oh. That is VERY nice......  :nod:
They are not toys. They are collectables.

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
    • Myspace. Please be my friend
Nobody likes a tease.
The cake is a Lie.

They littered the beach as dense as a crowded Tokyo street during a Final Fantasy release riot. The slow, tottering advance only heightened the suspense of this freakishly ironic scene.

The turtles were revolting,
and nobody could stop them.

First they came for the Jedi,
and I did not speak out.
because I was not a Jedi.
Then they came for the giant robots.
and I did not speak out
because I was not a giant robot.
Then they came for the Nerds,
and I was screwed.

Sparkly Weasel, meet Forceful Chainsaw

That looks awesome I can't wait for the full release ;)

HAHA!  That is good news indeed.   I was really hoping you guys would work it out.  To me, its just not WC without a cockpit.  Btw, do you still got the Hellcat V cockpit?

I LOVE 3D cockpits! :D
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
    • The Elite, International
Hey that's a pretty good job. How are you planning on implementing this in mission creation later? (i.e. like the "use autonav animations" radio button in latest FRED builds)

Great work though... can't wait to get my hands on them. And if you make them reflect damage... you'll have my eternal admiration. :-P
What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind...actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost. - Captain Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, M*A*S*H

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Hey that's a pretty good job. How are you planning on implementing this in mission creation later? (i.e. like the "use autonav animations" radio button in latest FRED builds)

Like this

if you make them reflect damage... you'll have my eternal admiration. :-P

Not possible, ace.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Well in my opinion its good that it can't be done I always found that feature annoying.

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Really??  :confused:
I loved it. I just hated one thing: cracks in the front window.

But remember WC1 and WC2, damaged cockpits were cool!
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Yeah. Annoying, but realistic enough that it didn't matter :D
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Looking at some of the recent advances in the code. Will the Longbow feature its rear turret control, at least from the forward cockpit display panel? (which was a feature in wc3 if I recall correctly)

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
    • Myspace. Please be my friend
No, you had switch to the rear view.
The cake is a Lie.

They littered the beach as dense as a crowded Tokyo street during a Final Fantasy release riot. The slow, tottering advance only heightened the suspense of this freakishly ironic scene.

The turtles were revolting,
and nobody could stop them.

First they came for the Jedi,
and I did not speak out.
because I was not a Jedi.
Then they came for the giant robots.
and I did not speak out
because I was not a giant robot.
Then they came for the Nerds,
and I was screwed.

Sparkly Weasel, meet Forceful Chainsaw

Wasn't that in WC2 (WC1 IIRC)?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
    • The Elite, International
Not possible, ace.

How dare you @#$% upon my dreams.   :sigh:

Didn't figure it was even worth the effort, but I always enjoyed the feature.
What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind...actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost. - Captain Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, M*A*S*H

I just hated one thing: cracks in the front window.

And thats why i found it annoying.

Actually you did not.  I distinctly remember turning one of the hud monitors into to show the camera facing backwards for the turret

Actually you did not.  I distinctly remember turning one of the hud monitors into to show the camera facing backwards for the turret

Well, i know you did in WC2, if that helps.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

No in wc2 you had to look backward/sidwards to go to the turret cockpit  to fire. Im talking about changing your navcomputor to a remote camera facing backwards.  Which you could in Wc3 with longbow and i think the thunderbolt.  Don't know about wc4 though, as the ps version I played didn't have cockpits.

And judging by some of the recent advances that some of the coders have been playing with, it looks like it will be possible with fs2.

Though the real question is can you switch between damage, weapons, and energy balancing on the left, and target, nav, and  turret  on the right with the 2 single panels like you could in wc3?  I guess they are working on a way.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 06:16:01 pm by Darklord42 »