Author Topic: CtD in the 1. Training :-((  (Read 5397 times)

Offline BarFly

CtD in the 1. Training :-((
Hi,

I have the problem that in the 1. practice mission, when I return to the Wellington(?) the game crashes, without any message, back to the desktop
My System: Intel E6300, 2 GB Ram, Nvidia 7600GT PCIe, Sound CMI 3768 PCICard
From the 'options' FSOpen Launcher 5.5a I copied this:
C:\Programme\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\wcsaga.exe -spec -glow -env -mipmap -2d_poof -no_vsync -cache_bitmaps -ship_choice_3d -wcsaga -snd_preload  -ambient_factor 100

I have also the Freespace2opensource installed.
Any help is appreciated of course.

Ciao Hans
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 01:50:24 am by BarFly »
Ciao Hans

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: CtD in the 1. Training :-((
Hmm... this is a very rare issue. It was brought up several times before. As a matter of fact: are you using Open GL or D3D mode?
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline BarFly

High,

Hmm... this is a very rare issue. It was brought up several times before. As a matter of fact: are you using Open GL or D3D mode?

oops forgot about this - OpenGL with 1440x900 Resolution - 19" 16/10 LCD
Thx for the quick response

Ciao Hans
Ciao Hans

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, my theory is that change-ship-class is causing this issue. I *could* put online a special mission for you later today.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline BarFly

hi,

Well, my theory is that change-ship-class is causing this issue. I *could* put online a special mission for you later today.

A  special mission just for me  :yes: If you need any more information...

Ciao hans
Ciao Hans

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
try this one. Place it into data\missions (you might have to create the missions dir first)

[attachment deleted by ninja]

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline BarFly

Hi,

try this one. Place it into data\missions (you might have to create the missions dir first)

it works,  :nod: And yes I had to create the missions dir first.
thx a lot!
May I call you Merlin?

Ciao Hans

« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 09:24:51 am by BarFly »
Ciao Hans

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
This file SORTA works for me. I experience the same issue (along with a LOT of stuttering and jerk, common problem with 3.6.9 and not related to WCS). I find it funny that the only difference is the # in the Flags field....any idea why that is?

How I mean SORTA: Engaging Autopilot now plays the "cutscene" progression from nav to nav instead of ramping time compression. But it still crashes with "WCSaga has encountered an error and needs to close"

Also OpenGL, 1600x1200x32. Rig in Sig.

(FYI, using the 3.6.10 XT builds _really_ ramps some thing up speed wise. But it randomly decides to move the placement of the Fuel and Guns bars away from the Radar back to the bracketing the center of the HUD.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 10:45:16 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Sratch that. No Campaign missions work at all. CtD on training mission 1 weh going back to the Wellington, Mission 2 when going to Nav 1 with the Aurora, Mission 3 when targeting the Pirate cap.

Every one of them (Selested through CTRL+Shift+S) leads to a crash. Am attempting to re-download in the event that it got corrupted, but the MSI should have caught that.

If there is an MD5 for the Installer EXE, I'd like to know so that I have something to check against.

The MD5 for the EXE (Obtained via GamersHell) was: 3AE6C71DBC34097E9BA0D9FF5119FD9E
Now d/l'ing from WCNews.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 02:49:52 am by Zacam »
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
This is surely a problem on your end. I presume you are using the default video configuration...

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Default every thing. I also made a backup of the launcher INI and made adjustments to no effect.

I made a Profile in the NVControlPanel, no effect.

Tried various builds of 3.6.9 other than the wcsaga.exe, the only effect that had was that Autopilot used simulated cutscenes to move me through them instead of time compression (but only if/when +Flags: 2228226 was set).

Like I said, re-downloading from another source and hoping that will resolve the issue. If not.... *shrugs* I'll either find a way to make it work (pref with a 3.6.10 exe) or I wait for the next official release and settle for playing the Gauntlets repeatedly.

Despite the issues, I love what's been done. I never was really big into the Wing Commander series, for some reason I just was never exposed to it. (Too much DooM editing methinks) This Prologue has me wondering how much I missed out on and how I can get my hands on the originals and a machine to play them on. Thank you.

**Edit: wcnews download MD5 matches. So, I've either got two bad downloads (unlikely) or I need to break out a magnifying glass.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 05:29:23 am by Zacam »

¤[D+¬>

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Update: No longer having any crashes. However, the Autopilot is doing Time Compression.

Is it supposed to, or is it supposed to behave like the autopilot tech demo's? (Which work flawlessly)

¤[D+¬>

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Now I am curious: how did you manage to get the game running?

At any rate: yes, in Prologue the autopilot system is fairly simple.

I must say, we were satisfied with it until we started working on a nebula mission. Watching nebula poofs in 64x time compression caused stomach pain, nausea and vomiting. Grr, it wasn't pretty. ;)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Is there any way to do misson edits to make the AP in Prologue watch the Tech Demo's?

(And in case I an mis-understanding the answer you gave, is there any reason they would not if they are?)

The fix is apparently something shared between the 3.6.10 WMCoolmon 03162008 and the Taylor XT 0314, because they both work without issue.

If you want to know why I'm running those vs the included 3.6.9 wcsaga.exe: It has a known and long discussed issues with the 169.xx  and 171.xx series drivers. In 171.17 there is atleast _no_ graphical corruption, but it has serious performance issues ONLY with 3.6.9 and _early_ 3.6.10 builds.

¤[D+¬>

Offline BarFly

hello,

Hi,
I have the problem that in the 1. practice mission, when I return to the Wellington(?) the game crashes, without any message, back to the desktop
My System: Intel E6300, 2 GB Ram, Nvidia 7600GT PCIe, Sound CMI 3768 PCICard
From the 'options' FSOpen Launcher 5.5a I copied this:
C:\Programme\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\wcsaga.exe -spec -glow -env -mipmap -2d_poof -no_vsync -cache_bitmaps -ship_choice_3d -wcsaga -snd_preload  -ambient_factor 100
I have also the Freespace2opensource installed.
Any help is appreciated of course.
Ciao Hans

Just for the record
2 years later are some things different: NVidia 9600GT, the  Motherboard and Sound .
But again the same problem - the Game crashes when I return to the Wellington.
The Good news:
The same solution works  :)

Ciao Hans
Ciao Hans

Offline KeldorKatarn

Glad to know the workaround works for you, so you can play. We'll try to find the problem for the final release which will include an updated Prologue.