Author Topic: Wing Commander Saga and Vista  (Read 16360 times)

Offline rjzcap1

Wing Commander Saga and Vista
I have tried to get this to work with mutiple options. Uding direct x direct 3d in the driver options I get messed up video and everything moves to quikly. With open gl I get the following error from FreeSpace2 open launcher Unable to get proper pixel format for opengl W32!

I have the following

AMS athlon 64 3000+ 2.0 GHz
1.5 GB ram
geforce 4 mx 4000 have to use xddm drivers no other choice
VIA AC 97 audio card biult in
and more than 50 GB HD

What could the problem be?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: Wing Commander Saga and Vista
I'm not liking the sound of your graphics card

How recent is it?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
You are probably using stock Vista drivers, which in some cases offer no proper OpenGL support.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
You should try to the stuff that is mentioned in the FAQ.

I haven't found any specifications to what OpenGL support your card has but I think you need at least OpenGL 2.0 support for FSopen. (Not sure thought)
As for the question of the drivers...have you tried to use the XP drivers with Vista? Tolwyn is right that the basic Vista drivers are....useless when it comes to OGL.

On a little sidenote, why are you using Vista? XP should work much better with your configuration and there are still drivers for it.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline rjzcap1

I will try the xp drivers but I think they won't work. My card doesn't have special vista drivers on the mai site. What else can I do. Why no direct x supprt? Most games use that. Can I load open gl somehow else? Can I use a 3rd part driver? I found some on google but they crash the system. Any ideas. I have Vista beacuse it's what I use at work and at home. Will does xompatabiluty mode not help. Alternate ideas???

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Most windoze games have direct3d support.  This game engine is multi-platform and uses OpenGL which is supported under Windows, Lunix, and Mac.  You should be able to find drivers from the chipset manufacture if the card manufacturer doesn't have them available.  In this case it looks like Nvidia.  Try their website. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
No the card is to old. Even Nvidia dosn't have any Vista drivers for the card, looked that up yesterday when I updated my own drivers.

For the question of D3D support. There are two points why D3D has been dropped.
Frist there where no coders who know how to code in D3D, or there was just no one willing to do it.
Second D3D works only with Windows systems while OpenGL supports Windows, Linux, Mac and I think it will even run fine on consoles.

As for third party drivers. I only know this page http://www.omegadrivers.net/nvidia_vista.php
Their drivers worked well for me once but I went back to the official drivers since these are pretty outdated but so is your graphic card. Read the readme to the driver, they give you some advice on how to install them correctly.

"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Look rizcap

Easiest thing I can tell you to do, is get a more recent graphics card. At least you want something from the late nVidia 6 series, late 7 series and beyond. They run FS2_Open and most recent games admirably

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Or downgrade to Windows XP.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Look rizcap

Easiest thing I can tell you to do, is get a more recent graphics card. At least you want something from the late nVidia 6 series, late 7 series and beyond. They run FS2_Open and most recent games admirably

I guess that he still has only and AGP port and no PCI-E. That could be a problem since good AGP cards have become very rare and are more expansive then their PCI-E counterparts.

You can by AGP 8x vido cards mid grade cards like gfx 8600 or ati hd 4600 at wallmat for around $100

But vista is probbly takeing 75 to 90% of his sistom ram depending on how long it has been since he last reboot.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
1.5 GB RAM should be enough for Vista and Saga. Still, given the system spec (single core CPU, etc) I'd strongly recommend to downgrade to XP.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
The RAM doesn't look like an issue.  Vista aggressively caches into memory and manages memory fairly well so long as you have it. It loves its RAM but it makes great use of it.  The problems are that its an older system with slower CPU, a slower HyperTransport, and worst yet that the video card is badly out of date. Actually I would say that the video card is the weak link in the system....a couple of years ago that CPU and RAM combination were fantastic but the video card is much too far behind.

So while I am a fan of the improvements in Vista ...I don't think its a terribly good idea to run Vista on an older machine like that and if the objective is to keep doing that then the video card definitely needs to be upgraded.  There are some newer AGP cards on the market that would work and have much more recent drivers.  I'm sure the folks here and generally on HLP would be happy to provide some advice on which card to buy if that is the path taken.

Good luck!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline CaptJosh

I think you mean UPgrade to XP, Tolwyn. Vista's the downgrade. *chuckles*
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

:lol:

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

Me likes Vista/Windows 7.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Me likes Vista/Windows 7.

Thing about Vista, you need to have a good PC to reap the rewards, otherwise you end up akin to the masses who lift up their copies of Vista and call "BULL****!" Because Vista is not kind to system RAM, however it does make some decent use of it at least

Offline CaptJosh

My biggest gripe is that Vista is a pain in the ass to install in the first place. I had to disable my NICs to keep it from trying to look for updates during the install and thereby locking up the installer. Also there are a lot of people who still have SB Live! cards, but are there properly functioning Vista drivers for that which include support for the Live! Drive front panels? Noooooo. I got it working once with the creative drivers for XP, but had to nuke the install and start over because something broke. The second time the Creative drivers didn't give me the front panel support and I had to turn to the kX project, which doesn't work quite right, but I can at least use the secondary mic input with it. Then there's the loathsome start menu and the fact that you can't even change it to XP style. It's either Vista style or Win9x/Me style, and don't even get me started on that search bar instead of a regular "Run" item... I could go on at length, but I've said enough at this point about the irritations.

Now, there are a few things they did right. Like being able to set volume levels individually for programs, but even that was done at the expense of a proper mixer. The categorized control panel is much better than XP's (I still switch to classic control panel for my own use though). And it's nice that the UI doesn't look like something from Pixar.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Most of those problems have more to do with Creative's crappy support of legacy hardware than Vista.  Microsoft did change the entire way that hardware interacted with the OS so obviously software changes in the drivers were necessary but thats hardly the OS's fault on its own.

Interesting about the dual NIC cards causing a problem.

Installing Vista is easy.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."