Author Topic: WCS colision model  (Read 9366 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm making a mod based on WC style gameplay and amongst things I want to make close to Wing Commander is colision system.
The problem is, the Prologue doesn't contain such data, it served me well when basing flight and damage models on it, but all ships have density set to "1", with is rather not interseting.
So I would like to ask you, can you publish some kind of formula, or maybe set of guidelines, which you're using for making WC style colisions, (for example, ramming enemy fighters is not as bad idea as it may seem, given that you fly a heavy fighter and your enemy don't fly heavier one).

Offline Wolfy

surely the collision things are the same as they are in every other FS2 mod? as in, surely the code is in the source engine?
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
in that case i suggest trial and error so first step would be to set a light fighter to 1 and a medium to say 5 and see what happens (i suggest the gap to allow you to make a slightly heaver light fighter in the future) and work on from that, probably only take a few hours to get a basic table setup
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Since when has colliding with fighters on Wing Commander ever been a good idea? Even a Raptor Vs. Salthi would end in two very flat, very dead pilots.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
i think i have a bigger ramming issue in FS than WC unless it was a destroyer or cruiser then in WC1 and 2 i often misjudged the range visually
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Since when has colliding with fighters on Wing Commander ever been a good idea? Even a Raptor Vs. Salthi would end in two very flat, very dead pilots.
Have you ever played Wing Commander?
Ramming a Salthi (or even a Dralhti, Salthi were very hard to ram due to their speed) with Raptor was really useful tactic in critical situations in which you needed to eliminate it quickly, for example when defending something vurnable.
I recall that I once scored Gratha this way in WC1 when defending Tiger's Claw, though I don't remember if I won the mission in the same playthrough (it took me multiple tries, this mission was very though).
Well, anyway I for sure managed to smack other Gratha in said mission directly into Tiger's Claw.
I repeatably seen my father preforming this tactic on Talons  (he was flying a Centurion) in Privateer.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Uh...yes, I have played Wing Commander, and I recall what I said being what would happen if there was ramming of two fighters of any sort.
If you needed to eliminate it quickly, why not just go full guns? It's not that hard to hit them, I know this and the Mass Drivers and Neutron Guns pound their shields to nothing and the rest of the shot kills them.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I always flown with full guns and sometimes even that wasn't enough.
The trick with ramming was to have full shields and armour on front, while enemy had them weakened by gunfire.
It frequently cost me my front armour, but it really worked in some cases (and sometimes by accident  :) ).
It's even mentioned in Privateer II handbook, though I never tried it there, as I didn't played any Privateer.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Ramming is a last resort thing and even if you kill your enemy that way you are killed afterwards by someone else because your shields and armor are gone.
Its also mentioned in some of the novels that younger recrutes are forbidden to do the "stop" manouver to let your enemy flyby overhead and get them into your crosshair because to many people died of collision damage, that comes from bad reactiontimes by the enemy pilot, resulting in him crashing into you.

In the games you received quite some damage to your own ship when ramming into anything at full speed. It was very likely that you damaged not only your armor but also destroyed some subsystems like guns or reactor in the progress.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I guess I simply was lucky enough to don't break anything essential when ramming, as I frequently survived it (and even completed the mission after it), as for my father's trick with Talons I guess that the fact he played Gemini Gold, not the original Priv may have something to do with it.
Anyway, my purpose isn't really making ramming reliable tactic (as FS shields cannot take collision damage, it would be extremally dangerous and nearly surely lethal), but rather to get more realistic collision model, in which ships won't bounce of the ground (I have atmospheric missions) or capship's surface, but rather explode into pieces when colliding. (note that it would enable doing Wronsky Feint using ground or capship structures to get rid of attacker, or destroying enemy fighter by forcing them to crash).

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Don't see what this  is going to accomplish ... apart from making the game insanely difficult.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, that's a matter of taste. Personally I always liked that you been killed or heavily damaged when you ram a capital ship. The FS collision sucks a lot.

Unfortunately I wasn't really able to change the tables to my liking (didn't invested too much time into this though). Playing with the $densitiy value seem to have no or only very little effect. Only thing I noticed is that collisions with asteroid are giving quite a lot of damage, don't know why
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Don't see what this  is going to accomplish ... apart from making the game insanely difficult.

Well, that depends. X-Wing had instant-death collisions, and it played just fine. Arguably, instant-death collisions will actually make some things easier (since the AI is so stupid about ramming things).

IMO a good solution would be a $Collision Damage Multiplier flag in AI_Profiles. That way, you could turn collision damage up (or down) however you wanted.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes, that may be a good idea, as I think that collision damage is also affected be difficulty level.
Maybe setting this equal to insane on all levels would accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well, that's a matter of taste. Personally I always liked that you been killed or heavily damaged when you ram a capital ship. The FS collision sucks a lot.

Unfortunately I wasn't really able to change the tables to my liking (didn't invested too much time into this though). Playing with the $densitiy value seem to have no or only very little effect. Only thing I noticed is that collisions with asteroid are giving quite a lot of damage, don't know why

Ooo, that sounds like it would be neat if it worked correctly... but wingmen AI would be incompetent and would explode.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Ooo, that sounds like it would be neat if it worked correctly... but wingmen AI would be incompetent and would explode.

Well, that's the other side of the medal. To achive that, it would be necessary to make it "player only" feature while leaving the AI as it is :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
tbh i suspect increasing the AI's priority on avoiding collisions would probably provide a majority fix for that

Well, that depends. X-Wing had instant-death collisions, and it played just fine. Arguably, instant-death collisions will actually make some things easier (since the AI is so stupid about ramming things).

Not the X-Wing I remember playing... I used to ram ships with the B-wing as it has superior shielding to nearly everything.

That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I didn't played X-wing, only X-wing Alliance and I never tried ramming there (3D models and precise collision detection make it much harder and are main reason why ramming is much less useful in WC3).
Anyway this discussion sounds like you simply don't have any formula for density and all ships have it set to "1" just like they had in Prologue.
When I can really use any colission model I want in my mod, it would be a flaw in WCS, which is suposed to feel "WC-ish" and should have collisions setup similar to original WC games just because of that.

Offline Mav

I still remember a friend of mine ordering his wingman (Stingray, if I remember correctly) to "form on my wing" in WC2 and then said wingman crashing into him on full afterburners, killing both... Apparently that wingman took the order a little bit TOO literal. *rofl* ;)
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)