Author Topic: Armor Quadrants?  (Read 5286 times)

Just want to know if the Armor Quadrants will/can be included, or Does FSO not support that particular feature of WC? (used to play WC in the days of Windows 3.0  :D )
Follow Me! I know the way! ... ... i think?

Offline KeldorKatarn

This is another feature that we had to cut due to time pressure. Including it would require a complete overhaul of the damage and shield code which just takes too long.
We however might have the chance to make use of existing but not final code to change the number of shield quadrants. Since over time WC ships had a different number of quadrants here, sometimes 4 sometimes 2 this should be interesting for modders who want to include ships from different wc eras.

The armor layer however will not be included at this point, but rest assured that the damage a ship can take will be handled in a way that the gameplay doesn't suffer and will feel enough like wc3 :)

If any coder is willing to give this a shot though, go ahead. but we cannot guarantee that you'll be able to finish in time for us to use it and we will not delay release for this feature, and including it is far more complicated than you might think.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I know how to make armour quadrants and not only quadrants, as it's possible to have as many armour parts as you want.
You need to use subsystems with "carry no damage flag", they will not show up on shield icon like in WC, but will work in similar way, of course if set up properly.
I'm planning to implement this in my mod (though with six armour elements on fighters and entire segments on capships) and if you want, I can also add this to WCS ships (though it will most likely change the current balance).

Offline KeldorKatarn

That's not how we do things. I'm sure you could improvize something, but if we do it, we do it the WC way. So either it works exactly like in WC3, including HUD display and everything attached, or we don't do it. An invisible armor system isn't really worth the effort. Nobody will notice it ingame if the HUD doesn't display the change.

I know how to make armour quadrants and not only quadrants, as it's possible to have as many armour parts as you want.
You need to use subsystems with "carry no damage flag", they will not show up on shield icon like in WC, but will work in similar way, of course if set up properly.
I'm planning to implement this in my mod (though with six armour elements on fighters and entire segments on capships) and if you want, I can also add this to WCS ships (though it will most likely change the current balance).

Does it actually work though? I tried it out and it seemed to have issues of some sorts. When invisible the things didn't even get hit as I recall unless I was doing something wrong.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
HUD displays the change, but only when armor gets hit, as it's a set of normal subsystems covering the hull, they are just untargetable an does not carry their damage over to hull.
I think that icon can be done with some complicated scipting, what I can do is to set up the subsystems and data required for them to work. In fact, anyone with PCS2 can do this, but would be a lot of work to apply it to each fighter.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Which is why it's not an option.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Tolwyn, what is with that AWESOME badge?
* Colonol Dekker calls the Intrepid to inform them of the awesome badgeyness.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

on a somewhat different topic.
I have heard from everyone's favourite cheerleader, Starlord, that Wing Commander includes weapons which do damage over different distances. Is this something that'll be included in the final release?

Just that a few things like armour, and variable weapon damages are things which apply to Renegade Legion as well. In fact, RL is looking more and more like a ripoff of WC and SW which it probably is hahaha.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
That's the very first time I heard about this... :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline starlord

Well actually, i think it's mostly reminiscent of WC1: I always had the feeling that for instance the neutron gun would shred a fighter at very close range, but barely scratch it's paint at range limit (yet the impact registers).

However, I may be wrong...

Offline KeldorKatarn

From what I know WC weapons had different ranges (that will be true in Saga as well), but I really really doubt their damage was depending on the distance and I'm very positive that it didn't make a difference in WC1, let alone become less damaging on short distance.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I have written sort of a support for 'secondary shield' layer. Which when used with normal shields (which can use the 1/2/4 segmented shield code) allow for making sort of ablative armor segments 'between' the shields and actual hull. IIRC i have version that is not 100% ready yet though as it lacks support for drawing the segments on screen but otherwise it should work - but as it requires the shield code changes which are not yet in the trunk either so no idea when/if/ifever it will be added to the trunk.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline KeldorKatarn

As I said, IF anyone finishes this in time for release, we can use it. But it is not a priority anymore since it doesn't make a huge difference in gameplay and also requires a huge HUD overhaul, recreation of new HUD elements for the ships etc etc

I have written sort of a support for 'secondary shield' layer. Which when used with normal shields (which can use the 1/2/4 segmented shield code) allow for making sort of ablative armor segments 'between' the shields and actual hull. IIRC i have version that is not 100% ready yet though as it lacks support for drawing the segments on screen but otherwise it should work - but as it requires the shield code changes which are not yet in the trunk either so no idea when/if/ifever it will be added to the trunk.

Does the code allow for uneven secondary shield strengths?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless

For both shields - so yes it does.

For both shields - so yes it does.

Cool beans. If I ever bother to do some real work on RenLeg that might come in handy. A lot handier than creating "armour" subsystems for every fighter that don't truely work.

Now what would be really cool, is if there was a weapon flag that allowed a given weapon to do a partial shield pierce. So if a gun did say . . . 100 damge, and had shield pierce set to .2 it would do 80 to shields and 20 to hull. That combined with "armour" would allow for different gun types like railguns, and so forth. Though I don't know how many mods would really make use of that and whether it would be worthwhile.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Already doable.. shields can have their own 'armor type' so the control is done via armor.tbl.

Wowzers! i seem to have sparked something here :) , Cant wait for the next chapter/episode in Saga, keep up the great work Tolwyn (only got one problem, i hated the character Tolwyn[got no problem with you though :D] from day one :) )
Follow Me! I know the way! ... ... i think?

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
(only got one problem, i hated the character Tolwyn[got no problem with you though Big grin] from day one  )
Don't mind that, they are pretty much the same. We all have a boddle of this bio-nano stuff, thing standing next to us so we keep on working ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"