Author Topic: WC3 style HUD and missile selection option?  (Read 6516 times)

Offline Light

WC3 style HUD and missile selection option?
A couple of question occurred to me. Is Saga going to use WC style missile lock symbology rather than the stock FS2 used in the Prologue?  I noticed when playing the BtRL demo that its missile lock indicator behaved much like Wing Commander's. Secondly is there a way to put WC3 style missile hardpoints and weapon selection in the FSO engine? I know that FRED only seems to support  up to four secondary bank so that is a limitation but could it be made possible to select multiple missile bank at the same time that they are in double fire mode as a work around?       

Offline KeldorKatarn

Re: WC3 style HUD and missile selection option?
Yes we will have different missile lock graphics. No selection of more than one missile bank will not be possible. (Would require a huge amount of coding work for nearly no advantage to the player. Firing more than one missile bank at once simply doesn't make sense in any situation of the game.)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
To be honest, it never made, I used this feature exactly once, when dealing with a Fralthi II on a Longbow.
This was basically double-firing it's torpedoes to fry that cat once and for all. (those were though, even though I was firing at it's engine, it took about 4 torpedoes)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
You can deal a lot of damage by using all banks with dumbfires. Still I only used that once too in WC4 when you couldn't use any other missiles.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Light

Okay, thanks for the replies. I just remember firing 4 FOF's into the face of a Vaktoth once and with the Avenger in WC4 I love the ability to fire all torpedo in one salvo. That was how I took down the Lexington. At least it is not the one torp at a time thing like in WC2 and Prophecy. That was a pain in the rear.     

Offline KeldorKatarn

You can still fire 2 torpedoes at once by using double fire on that slot. Firing 4 torpedoes at once is actually something that we don't WANT to allow the player, since it would make stuff too easy. ^^

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Frankly I still prefere to fire my torpedos single as in dual or if it would be possible quad mode the chance that the explosion of one of your torpedos takes out the others is pretty high.
The fly to close to each other that when the enemy takes out one its game over for you.

Looking on 4 times might be harder but the successrate might be higher. Also there are still your wingman that might have gotten a torpedo through, even if its unlikely, stupid AI, its still a chance to save ammo. Remeber you can't reload ever time like in FS2.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline KeldorKatarn

You don't need to lock on 4 times. once you have a lock you can fire them one by one.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
You don't need to lock on 4 times. once you have a lock you can fire them one by one.

that depends on your speed, distance to target and refire rate
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Also, it happens that only one torpedo is needed to kill the target and this is often the case in Wing Commander.
Firing two torpedoes when you can use one is pointless, not to mention that even if one torpedo won't kill the target, it can still weaken it, so you may kill it with guns and normal missiles.
Okay, thanks for the replies. I just remember firing 4 FOF's into the face of a Vaktoth once and with the Avenger in WC4 I love the ability to fire all torpedo in one salvo. That was how I took down the Lexington. At least it is not the one torp at a time thing like in WC2 and Prophecy. That was a pain in the rear.     
The first one was quite pointless, considering that 2 FOFs and a gun salvo should reduce the Vaktoth to scrap.
Lexington goes down after a hit with one or two torpedoes, there's no need to fire all of them.
Two torpedoes at a time would be enough, as multi firing only makes sense with DF missiles and even with them it's not a nessesary tactic, usefull mostly against warships.

Offline KeldorKatarn

that depends on your speed, distance to target and refire rate

Since I designed about a third of our missions, among those the most torpedo intensive one, I can tell you that it works as I told you ;)

Offline KeldorKatarn

Just thought I'd mention this. The AI will use double fire for torpedoes so be ready for those torpedo interceptions if you want to have a carrier to land on ;)
Also... the torpedoes are shield piercing (as it should be, according to WC sources), so be aware that if you waste your torpedoes and the ship is only damaged, not destroyed, the shields will still be up, so you'll have a very hard time finishing the enemy off with your guns.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
This sounds interesting.