Author Topic: Freelancer-style mouse control?  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Blasterman

• Discovery Freelancer addict
Freelancer-style mouse control?
Hiya.

Will Saga have mouse flight control similar to that of Freelancer? For those who've played it, Freelancer flies using the mouse to turn and right mouse button to fire guns.
* Blasterman is a Freelancer addict

Cheers,
--Troy
Arrrgh.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Freelancer-style mouse control?
FreeSpace 2 supports similar controls, so I see no reason why Saga wouldn't.

Offline KeldorKatarn

That is not exactly true. Freespace doesn't support that. However, we're planning to make sure mouse controls are ok in the end.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
FreeSpace 2 certainly does support

flies using the mouse to turn and right mouse button to fire guns

If you're referring to the dynamics of mouse movement in Freelancer, there are already scripts to reproduce that as well.

yeah i tested this, but.... works not with any build.
so i play better with normal mouse behavior.

Offline KeldorKatarn

We'll try to offer a working functionality. Probably both and you can choose. We should be able to get that working.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Another solution (which I prefer) is to use PPJoy to create a virtual joystick. Basically, it sets up a joystick driver that is actually powered by your mouse. This lets you have freelancer-style mouse control... the only snag is that there is no HUD indicator to say where your mouse currently is, and you will frequently start a mission with your "joystick" off-center (Causing you to start turning first-thing). The lack of indicator isn't a problem, really, since it's easy to tell if you're turning or not, and the mission-start issue can be overcome with a bit of practice.

The other nice thing about this solution is that it works for any game with joystick support but suboptimal mouse support. So, you can use the same virtual joystick to get Freelancer-style control for Descent as well (for example).