Author Topic: This weekend I'll finish WC Saga  (Read 3467 times)

Offline CT27

This weekend I'll finish WC Saga
This weekend will be the one year anniversary of WC Saga (March 22, 2012 IIRC) being released.

I played about one mission a week (sometimes more, sometimes less) and lo and behold I'll finish it one year after it was released.

It was an awesome campaign guys.  I really enjoyed it. :)

Re: This weekend I'll finish WC Saga
Wow, I didn't realise that the anniversary was coming. Well, I guess this will be a good time to post my announcement (if I manage to finish writing it by the end of the week :D).

Offline Qent

Aw man. I lagged behind my wing to watch a station explode when they unexpectedly vanished. After that I couldn't really get into playing it again. :( I guess I should try to pick it back up....

Offline Lorric

Aw man. I lagged behind my wing to watch a station explode when they unexpectedly vanished. After that I couldn't really get into playing it again. :( I guess I should try to pick it back up....

Hey, is that the one where you're supposed to abandon the ally station? I lagged behind as well, and got left behind by my wingmates in the same way if so the first time. But they do tell you they'll leave you behind if you don't go with them if that's the one.

Offline Qent

Leave me behind with what jump drives? They're right there in visual range, and I could have caught up at any time, and *poof*. I don't know, it pissed me off somehow, since it was a long mission.

Offline Lorric

Leave me behind with what jump drives? They're right there in visual range, and I could have caught up at any time, and *poof*. I don't know, it pissed me off somehow, since it was a long mission.

Hmmm. I let mine get far away. I withdrew to a safe distance then stopped to watch, figuring I could just burn my way back to my wingmen if necessary. I imagine there's a set distance you have to be within at that point.

Offline CT27

I got so close, but couldn't finish the campaign.  I got to the point in the final mission where the Wratghar was down to about 2/3 health and the Marines announced they got the missile launchers ready...but then the game crashed.  So I tried it again, and it crashed at almost the exact same point again.

I even tried different save files Tolwyn (of the WC team) sent me and I still couldn't beat the final mission without it freezing up when almost complete.

I was able to watch the final mission and ending on Youtube thankfully so I know how it ends though.

Offline CT27

Make that 4 save files that didn't work on the mission. :(

(As of the last post it was 3).

Sounds like the bug is related to the mission itself rather than the save files. Next time you try to play through the mission, could you use a debug build and post the log? (if you don't have WCS' debug build: linky)

Offline CT27

Sounds like the bug is related to the mission itself rather than the save files. Next time you try to play through the mission, could you use a debug build and post the log? (if you don't have WCS' debug build: linky)

How would I find this log and post it?

iirc, WCS writes it in My Documents/Volition/Wing Commander Saga
Once there, look for fs2_open.log, then post it as an attached file ("attachments and other options" in the forum's message posting page).

Offline CT27

After I download that and save it, where do I put it (file location)?

The debug exe should go into your Wing Commander Saga folder. I don't think WCS's launcher will recognize it though, so you'll have to use the exe directly.

Offline CT27

I put the debug build in the WCS folder (which was in the "Volition" folder) and when I clicked the debug build I got an error when I tried to run it.

If I can't get it working in a few days I may try completely deinstalling WCS and reinstalling it.

Offline CT27

Good news, I was able to download it on my computer and use a flash drive to transfer it to my new Windows 8 computer.  I figured, why not try that? 

It worked!  I was finally able to beat the campaign and see the ending for myself.  Windows 8 is good for something. ;)