Author Topic: Feature wishlist - Requests & Comments  (Read 68234 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Feature wishlist for multiplayer
How about a join alert option for the lobby.  Basically if someone enters the lobby it will play a sound so you know from outside of FS2 or across the room.  Something like the noise you get when your hosting and someone joins the game. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That might not be terrible, I remember XvT has a sound whenever someone joins the game that's not too annoying.  I can imagine it would be nice to be able to turn it off though somehow.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
This would be a very nice feature! It would help also when one has "alt-tabbed" out of the game while waiting for someone to join (at least  on linux, windows version might cut the audio).

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
how about a " hosting box " so you can see what other games are being formed when your hosting another game ( at the mission select screen, not ingame as such)

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Some way to tell what players are logged in from what mod/conversion would be nice. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Like the old Half-Life server list?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
Re: Feature wishlist - Requests & Comments
Request: Different colours for text in the lobby, like the ones we get when you are already in a game.
Signed, me

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
wow, it's been over a year since this was touched? DAMN! well, i have a new one that might or might not be possible...
Is there a way to change the way the lead indicator behaves for multi? we all know about the lag issues, so, is there a way to make the lead indicator calculate where to shoot considering the lag besides the movement of the ship? Thanks.
Signed, me

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Or maybe just increase the size of the aim "circle" when lag increases?

The latter behaviour is probably doable but adding further displacement for the lead indicator (it already doesn't mean a damn thing ;P) and trying to predict latency with it would probably be a serious coding challenge...
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I brought this up some time ago and it should be doable in principle. You don't need to predict the latency exactly, but just use an approximation based on an average of the last few seconds of ping measurements. That should work well in most cases and would be much better than what the game currently does.

My wish is an D3d build compatiblile with new FSNET. No graphic enchancements support needed, only for raw multiplayer puroposes. That would be great thing for everyone who want to play multi, but are unable to launch OpenGL FSO on their laptops with ATI cards... like me.  :)
Expect the best. Be prepared for the worst.

that's not really a multi request and, unfortunately, that probably wont ever happen (as much as I wish it would). :<
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
My wish is an D3d build compatiblile with new FSNET. No graphic enchancements support needed, only for raw multiplayer puroposes. That would be great thing for everyone who want to play multi, but are unable to launch OpenGL FSO on their laptops with ATI cards... like me.  :)

No way in hell. We do not have a Direct3D programmer on staff, and even if we had, since Direct3D is MS-only, it's not an option.
Anyway, why not head on other to the troubleshooting board? I, or someone else, might be able to get you set up there. Because there are several hundred people who wplay FSO with ATI cards with no difficulty.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Being Windows only isn't a reason we're not doing it, if we had a coder who was really interested in maintaining D3D support without breaking OpenGL we'd have it, but we don't have that coder and aren't actively seeking one.  We do maintain other features only for certain platforms like TTS, so D3D would always be a possibility as far as that's concerned.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

I get an error about hacked and/or invalid table files!
Make sure that you're using the same mod as the server (i.e. FSPort or the 3.6.10 MediaVPs) and that you don't have any table (.TBM and .TBL) files hanging around in \FreeSpace2\data\tables or in \FreeSpace2\<Enabled Mod Folder>\data\tables.

I just set up multi so I haven't actually played in any matches yet. The quoted troubleshoot is leading me to think you can't use cockpits or Swifty's HUD tables with multiplayer. Is this true and if it is can anything be done about it? I looked through the threads and I couldn't find anything.

I realize the HUD code is still being tested and probably won't be in use with multiplayer yet, just curious about the future.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Stuff /could/ be done about it, but we will probably be enforcing strict rules regarding what huds can be used, which means I doubt we'll allow cockpits any time soon for obvious reasons.

Reason being - that multi is meant to be a 'from the same vantage point' experience.

Any changes for that would simply be reverted when SW finally gets out the door anyway.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well if either are breaking multi we need to know about it ASAP.  Now stats may not save due to modified tables.  

As for QD's comment about enforcing what cockpits/HUDs can be used there has been some discussion on that.  The current thinking is that mods will control that and they will either be on or off for everyone.  I don't think the HUD part has been discussed too much yet.