Author Topic: How to set up PXO multiplayer  (Read 7258 times)

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
How to set up PXO multiplayer
As you may or may not know, Taylor has ported PXO back to retail FS2.  If you want to get started playing and testing, here's instructions.
  • Download the builds from https://pxo.nottheeye.com/files/test/freespace2_rel.zip (release) or https://pxo.nottheeye.com/files/test/freespace2_dbg.zip (debug).
  • Extract them to a new folder (do not use your existing FS2 installation) and copy the retail VPs to that folder.
  • Download FUBAR's multiplayer mission and voice pack and extract them to the same folder.  If you have a limited internet connection, you can download just the missions here (7z file) or here (larger zip file)
  • Register an account at https://pxo.nottheeye.com/ and you will be given game credentials.
  • Run the launcher, freespace2.exe, and in the PXO tab enter the credentials you were given.  Note that this is different from email/password combo you used to register for PXO.
  • After setting whatever else you want to change, you can launch the game either from the launcher or by running fs2.exe.
  • Currently there's one or two servers constantly running, one in Germany and one in Texas (USA).
  • To set up a match, join HLP's Discord server (if you haven't already, and if not why not?).  Go to the #pxo channel and ping the @multi group and wait for responses.  If you plan on playing often, ask MageKing17 to add you to the multi group so that you too can be notified when someone wants to play.
Note that it is retail-only, so don't expect the MediaVPs or any mods.  The good news is that you can play on pretty much any computer.
Have fun!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:08:48 pm by PIe »
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: How to set up PXO multiplayer
If you plan on playing often, ask MageKing17 to add you to the multi group so that you too can be notified when someone wants to play.
And if I'm not awake, any moderator can grant people roles.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Which launcher do I need to enter the credentials into? Is it the wxLauncher 0.12.0-rc3 or the FS2 Open Launcher 5.5d? Or something else?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Which launcher do I need to enter the credentials into? Is it the wxLauncher 0.12.0-rc3 or the FS2 Open Launcher 5.5d? Or something else?

The retail launcher, because this here is only based upon retail FS2.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Just use the included launcher (I forget if it's fs2.exe or freespace.exe).
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

Yeah it's literally all in the 1st post buddy.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

That I have to use the included launcher is what had to be mentioned. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:19:13 am by DrakonAlpha »

Getting multiplayer mode work for FreeSpace 2 ist far to difficult.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Hey, me and a buddy are trying to get some MP going between ourselves. We both have a fresh install, we're only playing retail so we keep things as simple as possible in hopes of it getting to work, we both have validated PXO accounts, we both input our PXO logins in both the retail FS2 launcher as well as in-game. We can see each other and text chat in the Eleh channel, and the lobby will 'see' a game that one of us starts, but as soon as we go to the server list, no games are visible. Can I get a little advice/things I should doublecheck/things I did wrong questioning?
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Being a host on the game requires port forwarding even if it's started through PXO.  Current builds support automated port forwarding, but that doesn't have a perfect success rate.  If the host forwards their ports properly, then there shouldn't be any issues.  If you have forwarded your ports and you still can't see each other on PXO, then that is a bug.

Here is a guide for port forwarding on netgear:
https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/setting-port-forwarding-netgear-router-genie-firmware/

And linksys:
https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/setting-port-forwarding-linksys-router/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:23:34 am by Cyborg17 »

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Okay, copy that. I have a TP-Link that I'll start digging into when I'm off work, I seem to recall seeing port forwarding options when I was setting up the router earlier this year. Do you have a reference for which ports need forwarding for PXO?

edit:

https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Multiplayer_Getting_Started_Guide#Global_Settings

This is saying to forward port 7808, is that still correct for PXO now that FS2netD is defunct?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 03:37:58 pm by Ghost »

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention.  That is still the correct port.  It's the default port of the FSO codebase.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Port 7808 is still the default. You should only forward UDP though, not TCP & UDP (the wiki is wrong there).

Also you only need to setup port forwarding if you want to create a game or run a standalone server. Port forwarding is not required to just be a client.

But if auto port forwarding works then just let it do it's thing instead of setting it up manually, since it's more secure that way. That way port forwarding is enabled only if it's actually needed and only for as long as it's required. For auto port forwarding to work your router needs to have NAT-PMP / PCP enabled. Enabling UPnP may be all that you need, but some routers have NAT-PMP listed as a separate or extra option and that's what you'll need to enable.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Okay, thanks you two. I'll try and corral him for another game this week and I'll post back about my results.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Bumping so the thread sees a new reply instead of editing, I just have a quick note and question. Haven't had a chance to try and play yet, I just texted him to see if he was busy. Anyway - I pulled up my router's admin page, and I checked UPNP first - that was enabled. Fired up Retail FS2 through Knossos, started a server lobby, went to check the client list and bam there's port 7808 open with NAT-PMP protocol listed. So the auto-port forwarding works, according to my router.

Two questions: should I bother forcing the port open if auto forwarding says that it's working? Also, when we were trying to play, he was over here at my house on my internet connection(we weren't trying LAN as I couldn't remember how that was supposed to function and it was late). Would that have had an effect on trying to see my server through PXO?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Glad it worked!

To your questions...

1) Nope, just let auto port forwarding do it's thing. There are circumstances where using UPnP isn't wanted: buggy router, security concerns, etc. In that case you would want to disable UPnP and do it manually. But in general you would want it automatic so that you don't have to figure out what to forward to where, such as the case of having multiple computers on your network trying to play on PXO.

2) Yes, that can have an affect on seeing your server. I've had mixed results in such a situation. It can work, but it may not. Might depend a lot on your router as to your success. Your router will know that both computers are on your local network and try to redirect their traffic accordingly. Sometimes that causes things to break.