Author Topic: Internet Connection Type via Knossos?  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Internet Connection Type via Knossos?
Hey guys. A friend of mine who recently got Freespace and I have been trying to play some multiplayer together, but when I click "multiplayer" in the main menu, I get the following;

"You have not defined your type of internet connection. Please run the launcher, hit the setup button, and go to the network tab and choose your connection type."

My friend (who is the host) does not have this window appear when he starts multiplayer.  I've gone to Options>Multi and added his IP, but I'm unable to find his server. Because the launcher we're using is Knossos, I've skimmed just about everywhere but can not find any sort of network tab. Am I missing something? I've ran through recent topics, including the just recently added 2019 FAQ's, but no solution as of yet.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: Internet Connection Type via Knossos?
I believe Knossos is supposed to be handling that for you. Let me take a look when I get home.

By the way, what build are you using?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:31:17 am by Cyborg17 »

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
I believe Knossos is supposed to be handling that for you. Let me take a look when I get home.

By the way, what build are you using?
Thanks for the assistance. We're both running the recent RC build, 19.0.0-RC1.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I took a quick look at the code, and it looks like it looks for the connection type on the registry (probably written by the launcher), so, I'm asking ngld on discord to clarify how Knossos handles it.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
For the network settings, you'll have to update to Knossos 0.14.0-rc.1. Once you have that version, you should be able to go to the global settings page and then find the "Network" section.

FSO hasn't been using the registry at all for over a year now. All of those settings are in the config file.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
For the network settings, you'll have to update to Knossos 0.14.0-rc.1. Once you have that version, you should be able to go to the global settings page and then find the "Network" section.
Got it. https://github.com/ngld/knossos/releases/tag/v0.14.0-rc.1 Will this replace 13.3 or will installing it leave me with 2 versions of Knossos?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
It will replace your existing Knossos installation. You can use the normal installer and install it in a different directory but then the older Knossos version might have problems loading its configuration since that would've been converted to the new version. However, I'm not sure if there actually were any changes in the configuration format between 0.13.3 and 0.14.0-rc.1. So... uh, you can try but I wouldn't recommend it.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
In that case my friend and I will play it safe and wait for the full release. Is there a timeframe for a release, or is it Soon™️? :p