Hosted Projects - Standalone > Fate of the Galaxy

One question...

<< < (2/5) > >>

Black Wolf:
Capships I'd say there'd be in the vicinity of 100 - well over 50, certainly, easily, easily over 100 (probably closer to five) if you want to include fighters as well.. It's not so much the number of ships as it is the number of weapons effects, particularly in a universe where attacking another ship means firing hundreds of blob type turrets. Twould Kill FS2 for sure.

brandx0:
According to Wookiepedia:

Empire:  1 Executor, 1 Communications ship, 50 Imperial Star Destroyers, 10 Victory Star Destroyers, about 5 smaller ships, and 2900+ fighters
Rebel: 20 Calamari Cruisers, 10+ Nebulon B Frigates, numerous other classes of ship (too many to list) and 500+ fighters

Though from the actual movie, I think one could achieve the same effect with a much smaller fleet on either side.  Really when watching I only noticed maybe 3 calamari cruisers and perhaps 20 star destroyers.  Obviously this was due to the lack of models, but even still, one gets a good sense of the size of the fleets from a couple shots of the Rebel fleet entering and exiting hyperspace, and from the long shots of the battle on the death star as Luke and the Emperor watch.

Dysko:
The XWA engine can't handle more than 92 ships (the max number of ships present in the same moment, AFAIK there can be much more ships entering the missions if the previous ones depart/are destroyed), and they recreated the BoE in 4 red alert-ish missions...

That way, it could be possible also with the FS engine (I think :nervous:).

Mongoose:
I don't know the status of background/skybox images right now, but wouldn't one option be to simply have an image of a larger Imperial fleet in the background?  That would allow you to make a fully manageable mission while still keeping the illusion of a larger battle.

chief1983:
That's how XWA did it.  The effect works ok, but you can definitely tell the difference if it's done poorly.  However, if the fear is of the AI being too much, many of the ISDs were just sitting in the blockade with their thumbs up their bums.  There'd be no AI to worry about.  So if it's not too taxing to throw 30 or 40 ISDs 10 clicks from all the action, that would be much nicer than using a skybox.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version