Author Topic: Infinity: The Sexiest Thing You'll Ever See...  (Read 5527 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Re: Infinity: The Sexiest Thing You'll Ever See...
This game is Older Than The Internet (TM). Also, yea, have seen no progress other than really pretty graphics. Wake me up when there's a remote possibility it's gonna go anywhere.

I would also like to ask: What is the point of procedurally generated planets? Unless they add the ability for you to actually build stuff on them (oh my GOD feature creep), what you'll end up having is the same thing that happened in Mass Effect: gigantic expanses of nothingness populated by small points of mitigated usefulness. What, exactly, is the benefit to being able to fly down to every deserted planet in the galaxy?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:22:20 am by Unknown Target »

Well it would be really cool.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
remembers thinking this was cool when I saw it in 2007, will check on it in another 3 years.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
This game is Older Than The Internet (TM). Also, yea, have seen no progress other than really pretty graphics. Wake me up when there's a remote possibility it's gonna go anywhere.
Ya, same here.

I would also like to ask: What is the point of procedurally generated planets? Unless they add the ability for you to actually build stuff on them (oh my GOD feature creep),
Well, it allows for a infinity huge universe, which is kind of nice if you are making a MMO.  Building stuff on them is apparently part of the plot (at least it was the last time they I looked at the site in any detail, which I think was around the time the combat demo came out).

And you are dead on about the feature creep, it is starting to turn into DNF in that it is taking him so long to develop the regular features that by the time he finishes on, the "graphics" are out of date and he needs to "update" them again.

what you'll end up having is the same thing that happened in Mass Effect: gigantic expanses of nothingness populated by small points of mitigated usefulness. What, exactly, is the benefit to being able to fly down to every deserted planet in the galaxy?
I thought that is how all MMO's work.  Either everything is too close together and all of the players are all on top of each other or everything is too far apart and no one ever meets.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Let's not forget it's a free game developed by fans so it's pretty much like our community, not exactly the same but something like it.
Let's back their effort! all our support for a world where free games and fans make the difference :P
el hombre vicio...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I've got 3 models for them I never finished :sigh: :o.

Once of these days I should get to it....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Oh... Oh god... That's beautiful... Procedurals... Real-time shadows...

By the time this comes out, everyone's computers will probably support it, haha.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
 :bump:
Reading the 2010 in perspective post, apparently they're going for getting the engine operational and available for others, instead of focusing on the MMO they're planning.
http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115&Itemid=26
all I can say about that is ****ING -A

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
It's pretty, but I wouldn't call it terribly realistic. That acceleration/deceleration looks like it could easily kill the pilot. And reentry from that speed? That atmosphere better be thinner than it looks.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
meh, inertial dampeners.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Its only a tech demo anyway.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
We've also decided to revise our strategy. Until now, our goal was to release the first version of Infinity, not necessarily feature-complete, and to later sell engine licenses. The priorities have changed slightly. Development of Infinity has gone under a lower priority while we work to get the I-Novae Engine production ready. Overall we see this as a benefit to you, the community, as when it's ready we would like to release a public toolset so that everyone can explore the possibilities opened up by our planetary engine and begin creating their own universes.

Modding possibilities ho!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Yeah, this LOOKS really, really cool, but unless there's some movement on the actual "game" front, it's doubtful many people will pay much attention to this project. That said, it looks like there is a fairly nifty backstory already, and some of the concept art and renders are sick. That tech demo video gave me vibes of an upgraded X-universe game, somehow.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

To those not impressed with the engine:

As a _game_ it's not much. _I_ want to get a hold of it to answer some questions. Nevermind the procedural part (nice as it is) but how did they handle reflections/refractions, shadows and the ability to illuminate other objects with the apparently high number of light sources in-game? And on an ATI video card, no less?

In short, I'm thinking about the technical education opportunities it might benefit outside of the engine itself.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Yeah, this LOOKS really, really cool, but unless there's some movement on the actual "game" front, it's doubtful many people will pay much attention to this project. That said, it looks like there is a fairly nifty backstory already, and some of the concept art and renders are sick. That tech demo video gave me vibes of an upgraded X-universe game, somehow.

Latest update is that the developer(s) are going to finish creating it as an engine (and sell it as such) before starting on making a game out of it. Given the circumstances, I think that's a win. I didn't want another stupid MMO anyway. :p

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So they are a "company" now... mmm, not sure why I don't like the sound of that.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mikes

Thing is, every video I've seen of this game begins with a ship interacting with a ringed planet, that's pretty much it, now, it's spectacular to watch, and maybe, once the Universe is proedurally populated with forests and cities etc, and the combat simulator allows the fights to traverse from space to the planetary surface, with local police reacting to the disturbance etc, when the whole engine interacts with itself, allowing vast trade fleets to ply the distances between worlds, fending off raiders and actually affecting the economy of the worlds involved, then I'll start getting excited about the environment I'm doing it in, until that point, it's all just a very, very pretty graphics demo.

That's basically my impression at this point.

The combat demo that went out btw...  had some of the crappiest gameplay ever lol.

They seriously have a LOT of work to do to turn this into a game... and they appear to be working rather slowly.

It's on my "check out in 5 years and see if its still alive" list, but thats it heh ;)