Author Topic: Warzone2100: Oldie but a goldie!  (Read 1134 times)

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Warzone2100: Oldie but a goldie!
Some of you are likely already aware about Warzone2100 being a freeware OS game like FS since a few years ago (it's been mentioned in a few previous threads). For those unaware, its an old RTS that's a fun play, if a bit challenging in places (the single player campaign for example has time limits in every mission bar the first two!). Its incredibly old, but the Source Code project for it is still going strong. Here's the link for those interested:

http://wz2100.net/

The big thing i wanted to pass on though with this is that the company when they freed the game freed the soundtrack of the game aswell, so the music and sound effects are all free-to-use if i'm understanding them right. Thought it might be a good (if perhaps old) source of effect sounds (machine noises/lasers/cannons/missiles etc) for the modders on here.

Cheers People.

Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Davros

Re: Warzone2100: Oldie but a goldie!
the page wont load for me (is it down)
at that page is it just the sourcecode for the exe and the soundtrack thats available or can you download a playable game
tnx...

It was a full playable game last I checked, but it has been a while.  WZ2100 was unique old RTS - instead of having predetermined units, you get chassis, mobility elements and weapons.  You form unit designs from combination - Cannon + Heavy Body + Treads for a tank, Machine Gun + Light Body + Rotor for a support copter.  Can make hover tanks, bombers, all sorts of nifty stuff.

Had a per unit xp system too - very high cap.  It actually ended up mattering too - you could retire an experienced unit, and then the next unit you build would inherit their XP level.   That way, you didn't end up with veterans that were obsolete.

Never did beat it though - it gets brutal on the later stages of the campaign even on the easy difficulty setting.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
at that page is it just the sourcecode for the exe and the soundtrack thats available or can you download a playable game
tnx...

It's a very slow site, you might do better searching on Google and going straight to the Download page.

Awesome game, has been a favourite of mine for years (I'm one of the ones who has mentioned in here before), and still one of my favourite RTS games. It's kind of like Supreme Commander meets Dawn of War, you can tank rush if you like, but it's also possible for the battle to turn into an extremely strategic confrontation.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!

They had mentioned a few days ago they were switching servers and apologised for any site problems. I had assumed they would've been finished by now but apparently not.

I link to them and the site chooses that moment to turn into a slug. My typical luck in action :lol:.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Is the pathfinding still balls?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
There's a new AI-Mod that claims to provide a more challenging Skirmish situation, but the pathfinding is only really a problem on poorly designed maps or sometimes on very big ones. For a while the AI was broken compared to the release version, and would be easy to beat, even on hard, but that seems to have been fixed.