Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 573528 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Heh, just wanted to see if the server would run ok with a few plugins, but before I get permissions set up and anti-griefing stuff installed, I was going to run it under Hamachi. It set up a new Network connection, but I think I botched it by closing the setup page by accident :)

Edit : I've tried creating a new zone via an uninstall/reinstall :

Name : Flipzone-1
PWord : hlp

IP : 5.111.182.61

Nope, can't find a server under that IP either.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
you need hamachi for that.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I've shut it down for now, I think it's something to do with the Network settings for the entire house, rather than the individual computer. I'll probably try to get it working again in a day or two :)

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
Let your firewall forward that thing.
I have a tekkit server running off my pc, meinkraft.drreading.us
(Flipside, use http://freedns.afraid.org/ to put it on a URL)

Signed, me

Ghasts trump all those mobs. Those damn bastards.
Especially when you don't have a bow and you're lagging a bit.

Anti-ghast fortifications can be built if you bring cobblestone with you.  Cobblestone is cheap, and immune to ghast fireballs.  Ghasts also have limited spawn conditions - they can only spawn in a 4x4 area or larger within the Nether.  Adjust your construction practices accordingly if you choose to build something within the Nether.

Also, you can deflect Ghast fireballs by hitting them!  However, this works both ways - a ghast fireball might deflect your arrow.

Like any environment, one can be safe within a player construction but that's not the time that one has to worry about ghasts.
I was building a trail to connect my area in the nether to the main area and died 3-4 times to Ghasts before I got bored and quit just short of the goal hahaha. Doesn't help that I didn't have any arrows for much of that time.

It's not so much the fireballs, as the land around you being set on fire and blundering into it while you're dodging subsequent fireballs.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Ok, think I've got most of this working to testing levels now.

Try Flipzone.uk.to as the server address. I've forwarded it thru Hamachi because I can't be bothered with port forwarding at the moment, so it may work, it may not ;)

Dynmap is enabled, http://flipzone.uk.to:8123/

Edit : God Damn plumbing >:( Just arsing around with the router, nothing up at the moment :(

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:14:20 am by Flipside »

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Server is up and whitelisted for the next few days while we finish off getting the configs working.

Sweet
Wait, still using the 1.2.5 build or the 1.3 polished dev build?
"No"

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Dammit, I wish I could remember more about my Networking course :/

I've got the server running to the point where you can connect from the IP address, but it's only been tested from a computer on the home Network, so I don't know about from outside. I've set up Port Forwarding rules for the usual ports (Minecraft and Dynmap), but FreeDNS is being no fun at all.

Problem is, because I go through a router, I have two IP addresses, the one given by IPConfig and the one registered by sites like whatismyipaddress.com. I can start a server on the Network IP address, but not on the one assigned to me by the router, and FreeDNS doesn't seem to want anything to do with my Network address :(

Ah well, I"ll keep on trying :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Server is up and whitelisted for the next few days while we finish off getting the configs working.

Looking good so far. Couldn't get the Runecraft things to work tho; I presume they're not set up yet?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Glad to see more progress on the new server, looking forward to play it once you're done and ready to accept us in the new world, Qaz.

Will be interesting to have the same starting position, so to speak, as anyone else instead of joining the server a year (or even longer) late.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Looks like I'll have to run my server as an IP-Address, it seems that BT Homehubs will not work with FreeDNS. Bugger :(

Ah well, as long as I only keep the ports needed open, it shouldn't be too bad...

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Problem is, because I go through a router, I have two IP addresses, the one given by IPConfig and the one registered by sites like whatismyipaddress.com. I can start a server on the Network IP address, but not on the one assigned to me by the router, and FreeDNS doesn't seem to want anything to do with my Network address :(
Nope.  Internal private IP range vs public IP.  You generally don't want to assign the MC server any IP in it's config, let it bind to whatever addresses happen to be on the host machine.

It's all about the portforwarding on your router/firewall device.  Not having a static IP just makes things trickier.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, apparently the ports are open ok for my public IP address, checked via PortForwarding.com. I've left the config for minecraft blank, and used my public address for the FreeDNS settings. Still not getting much interest from Minecraft when it comes to spotting the server online, still spots it on the private IP though.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Sweet

Dynmap is up and showing a new landmass...so I presume 1.3

R.I.P old server :(

EDIT: And from the looks of it it's the same terribad terrain as 1.8-1.3
Couldn't find a decent terrain generator? :<
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:21:55 pm by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
This person is my new hero.  I've had fun derping around in a superflat Survival map, but the massive slime infestation made me almost always have to play it on Peaceful.  (The noise alone will drive you to drink.)  The "massive reduction" in 1.3 amounted to something like 20 slimes charging you at once instead of 100, which isn't much of a fix on its own. :p

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Sweet

Dynmap is up and showing a new landmass...so I presume 1.3

R.I.P old server :(

EDIT: And from the looks of it it's the same terribad terrain as 1.8-1.3
Couldn't find a decent terrain generator? :<
Actually it's turned out pretty nice. Wait until you see it first hand.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Actually it's turned out pretty nice. Wait until you see it first hand.

Bare, treeless "mountain" biomes, swamps within sight of basically anywhere, hilly plains with very little tall grass, no inland beaches, and mish-mash biomes with jungle bordering desert bordering snow bordering swamp. The only biomes that 1.3 does well is jungle, forest and ice....but only ice is big enough to be able to build in without having the other crappy biomes within visual distance, and forest and jungle are too dense to build right in the middle of without extensive landscaping.

That said I'll probably end up building in a jungle anyway despite the landscaping issues just because the trees will block out crappy views.

Plus even if I didn't have the dynmap view, I've seen what 1.3 does in my single player worlds and it is not good :(

EDIT: Btw, the old map was based on the gargamel seed, as seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-eWHCl0gTQ

I challenge you to find an area even half as pretty as that in the new map x.x
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:15:48 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Bare, treeless "mountain" biomes, swamps within sight of basically anywhere, hilly plains with very little tall grass, no inland beaches, and mish-mash biomes with jungle bordering desert bordering snow bordering swamp. The only biomes that 1.3 does well is jungle, forest and ice....but only ice is big enough to be able to build in without having the other crappy biomes within visual distance, and forest and jungle are too dense to build right in the middle of without extensive landscaping.

Have to say I'm with Grimper in the dislike of the current terrain gen code. That's why I came up with this idea: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/973217-4d-biomes/

What say a few of us tweet Dinnerbone / EvilSeph about the linked thread and at least get them to comment on the idea? ;) Don't spam them though, please. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
That's a good idea, but in this case all we need is a mod with just 1 single base class edit that will make the terrain infinitely more interesting.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/827699-mountain-generator-minecraft-125/page__st__80

Problem is mods like that need a little more time to update and the server is already being built on (terrain mods need a fresh reset to look good)...so you would need to convince qaz to delay.
When Australia burned.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What's the current status of the old world?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!