Author Topic: Shivan homeworld  (Read 20956 times)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
You could go with the "they look like that because its cool" approach, Aldo, but that's a conversational and speculative dead end. IE, there'd be no point discussing it.

When someone asks questions about the shivans, I somehow doubt "because it looks cool" is the sort of answer they're looking for. Given that the original question was one about what their homeworld would be like, I'd say that their anatomy figures pretty heavily into it.  

Consider fish and humans. Both are products of their environment. You're not a kickass swimmer like a shark, and a shark can't climb a tree. It follows that environment has a direct impact on the morphology of a species.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by mikhael
You could go with the "they look like that because its cool" approach, Aldo, but that's a conversational and speculative dead end. IE, there'd be no point discussing it.

When someone asks questions about the shivans, I somehow doubt "because it looks cool" is the sort of answer they're looking for.

*resists drawing parallels between this and mankind's origins on Earth*

:D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Nay, there would be no use telling them... - anyway anyone who watched Macross already knows the answer - well, thos who watched it and picked up the voices...
What voices? Don't look at me like that...Well if you insist...no...no that wouldn't do.
Even if we told them the truth they wouldn't believe us...they would stick with the idea that it was the serpent...bah, fish are ignored nowadays.

To tell the truth about Shivans they are just a buch of teenagers who fed up that their parents kept telling them to clean up their room.
So when they got down to do it one last time - and very last - they wanted to do it right. They're still in the middle of the process...
"Vasuda, Sol, Vega - hmm only a couple of more systems to clear in this sector- shivan officer aboard "great sucker - arm. I mean - vacum cleaner" (to us AKA Lucifer).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2003, 05:37:33 pm by 997 »
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Originally posted by Sandwich

*resists drawing parallels between this and mankind's origins on Earth*

Feel free. I'm sure the general chain of evolution from self-replicating nonliving chemical compounds to modern species is roughly parallel, though not identical, to Shivan evolution, Sandwich. ;)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

I'm not. What do you need a concept of 'balance' for in ziggy? The page that Sandwich referenced stated pretty explicitly that the arms are needed for balance. The arrangement of limbs suggests to me a climbing species.

The page Sandwich referenced also was on an Interplay site, and we all know how good at FS information stuff they are...

However, if you are willing to accept that page as Canon, then it also states that the Shivans probably do not live on planets at all, and that they have been seen in zero G environments.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Feel free. I'm sure the general chain of evolution from self-replicating nonliving chemical compounds to modern species is roughly parallel, though not identical, to Shivan evolution, Sandwich. ;)

Alright, you asked for it. :p

The "looks cool" explanation to Shivan existance, you must agree, is not only the simplest explanation, but it also is probably the true reason for their form - Volition wanted something cool. Ok?

Now here's where I get all "religious". :p The simplest (and IMHO most likely) explanation of life's existance on this planet we call Earth is that we were either created this way, or created to evolve this way. The incredible intricacies involved and delicate balances of ecologies and ecospheres on this planet, not to mention the mind-boggling complexity of our own human bodies, virtually eliminate any possibility of random chance being the cause behind our existance.

But no, it can't be that simple, we can't be the product of a Supreme Being's creative actions, because that would be too simple and boring. So let's discuss all the possible and impossible ways in which we might have come about to our current state of existence without requiring the Supreme Being equation to make 1 = 1. Hmmm... random evolution from lifeless slime? Perhaps. Maybe we were seeded here by some alien race that has never shown its face since! Yeah, that could be... except if you believe that, what's the big opposition to the belief that we were placed here by a Supreme Being?

So... did I get into enough trouble yet? ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
I've always wondered where proponents of the "seeded by extraterrestrials" suggestion think the aliens came from...
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Now here's where I get all "religious". :p The simplest (and IMHO most likely) explanation of life's existance on this planet we call Earth is that we were either created this way, or created to evolve this way. The incredible intricacies involved and delicate balances of ecologies and ecospheres on this planet, not to mention the mind-boggling complexity of our own human bodies, virtually eliminate any possibility of random chance being the cause behind our existance.

But no, it can't be that simple, we can't be the product of a Supreme Being's creative actions, because that would be too simple and boring. So let's discuss all the possible and impossible ways in which we might have come about to our current state of existence without requiring the Supreme Being equation to make 1 = 1. Hmmm... random evolution from lifeless slime? Perhaps. Maybe we were seeded here by some alien race that has never shown its face since! Yeah, that could be... except if you believe that, what's the big opposition to the belief that we were placed here by a Supreme Being?

The existance of an all knowing, all powerful deity is by its very definition complex because to explain god away you'd have to explain how he existed before the universe, how he created it etc. Since those explainations must include an explaination for every single peice of scientific evidence any credible explaination must by its definition be more complicated than the scientific one.

Hell, even most religious people will say that God is so complex that we can never understand him.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
I've always wondered where proponents of the "seeded by extraterrestrials" suggestion think the aliens came from...

Skegness

:p

I think some people like the idea of having some guardian angel / father figure, whether it be through religion or some sort of theoretical alien race.

Insofar as FS goes, my preference is that there's a sort of massive level of chaos between races like the shivans (i.e. a state of perpetual war), and the young races like humans, etc, exist just under that - like fish under a seething ocean*, or worms under a nuclear blast.  Occasionally, we cross paths in the war, ala FS1/2.  

My opinion is that the Shivans are simply evil ********, and that's all the motivation they need when they chance upon weak races.  I like the idea of an uncontrollable, primal force.

*Not a particularly great (set of) analogy, that

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Please steer as far from good/evil discussion as possible.
Both of these ideas are purly human ones - probably Vasudans can have extremly different idea of stealing - which are based on the ethics in use.
However ethics are just that - something that most of the population agrees with. But people and society changes, so are ethics.
You would rope someone who starts discussing the good aspects of slavery - but among the Romans it was totally normal and accepted, and no they weren't evil, in fact the basis for most of our laws are derivated from their laws.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
While I agree that a single random string of evolutionary changes creating humans is unlikely, keep in mind that evolution is a stage by stage process.  First you have to get from that slime into multi-celluar organisms.  More to the point, the universe is by inherent nature chaotic - it doesn't stop when one combination fails, it keeps going until it finds one that does work.

Evolution and modern organisms can be paralleled with a password and a descrambler.  If one thing doesn't work, it tries another, and another, until it finally get its right.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
....or not.
But if life were a lottery, you could only see the winner numbers 'cause the loosers don't even exist.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Flaser
....or not.
But if life were a lottery, you could only see the winner numbers 'cause the loosers don't even exist.

You don't see many dinosaurs wondering down the high street do you? The Russians didn't use mammoths for heavy lifting :D

There are more extinct species than living ones. Hell the Permian Extinction wiped out more than 90% of all the species alive on Earth at the time. :)

So Flaser is right. You only ever see the bones of the losers (if that) :)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.

:drevil:

Like aldo said, I'm more for the Big war rather than the shivans picking on the little people because they like to kill or because they see us as a threat (please...) And keeping them as faceless murderers keeps their evil feel. Even if they aren't the evil in the universe, pussyfying them should not be dne hastily.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline diamondgeezer

They're actually human beings from the future, travelling back through time to seed the human race (ow, ow, head f*ck)

Anyway, Sarnie - why is the whole alien thing any dafter than the concept an invisible dude sitting on a cloud telling us what to do and chucking lightning bolts at us if we misbehave?

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
The "looks cool" explanation to Shivan existance, you must agree, is not only the simplest explanation, but it also is probably the true reason for their form - Volition wanted something cool. Ok?
I already addressed that above. It is most likely the correct answer for "Why are Shivans shaped the way they are?". However, that's not the question being asked, so its not a terribly useful answer.

...The simplest (and IMHO most likely) explanation of life's existance on this planet we call Earth is that we were either created this way, or created to evolve this way... But no, it can't be that simple, we can't be the product of a Supreme Being's creative actions, because that would be too simple and boring.

A supreme being creating us from the aether would not be boring. It'd be pretty damned exciting. However, the evidence is to the contrary. There is a fairly conclusive fossile record dating back before the ~6000 year mark most Creationists believe in (I think there's some Biblical 'evidence' for that number. I am not sure). The problem with the Creationist theory is that it is not testable in any meaningful way. It is unscientific.
For a theory to be scientific, it must explain why things are as they are now, and make predictions as to how they will become. Creationist theory does the former, but fails the latter. What predictions can you make from Creationist theory? Do organisms evolve or do they just pop into existence (ie, are they created)? Evolution also explains why things are the way they are, but it also makes certain predictions about the future development of organisms. The predictions are borne out by observation of simple organisms (bacteria for example) and more complex organisms (such as reptiles and fish).
You argue that a Supreme Being is "simple". This is as far from the truth as one can get. Occam's Razor states, "one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything". Your invocation of a Creator that can not be detected, predicted, duplicated, observed experimentally, or otherwise be shown to exist, sounds like "increasing... the number of entities required to explain" the situation. I'll reserve my judgement on the existence of creator beings for private conversation. However, given the evidence at hand, I'm going with evolution from self replicating chemical compounds as the simplest explanation.

... Hmmm... random evolution from lifeless slime? Perhaps.

Very possible.

Maybe we were seeded here by some alien race that has never shown its face since! Yeah, that could be... except if you believe that, what's the big opposition to the belief that we were placed here by a Supreme Being?

For this to be the case, the species would have to be able to move faster than light, which puts them on the same footing as a supreme being, and thus outside the scope of science and reason. Given the speed of light being constant, and EM radiation moving at the speed of light, I'll leave the proof of the impossiblity of extraterrestrial creationism as an exercise to the reader.

Side note: if you ever want to discuss this at length, Sandwich, I'll be glad to do so in email.

Yes, I'm aware of the basic stupidity in arguing for a scientific basis for this stuff when we're talking about a game that throws science out the window completely.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 12:51:33 pm by 440 »

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Okay, now I have to pipe up once again.  I'll try to be as quick and pointed as possible in my comments this time, so hopefully people will read them...

1) The problem with "random evolution" from a Christian/Jewish/Muslim standpoint is not the "evolution" bit.  The problem is the "random" bit.  If the way God made us was through an evolutionary process, that's fine.  What we aren't willing to say is that it "just happened"--God oversaw it.  It wasn't a random process, but had a purpose.

* Some theists, who are confused in their thinking, take aim at the evolution part instead of the random part. This is because they have failed to distinguish between these two separate elements in the phrase "random evolution."[/size]

2)  So the question is, was evolution (assuming it is true) random or purposeful?  The answer to that question cannot be scientific: it falls outside of the boundaries of scientific invetigation.  To say it is random is as unscientific as to say it is purposeful.  This is not a problem, in much the same way that it is not a problem that 1+1=2 and 1+1¹2 don't rhyme.  When we say that evolution was random or purposeful, we are no longer talking about science.  We are talking about metaphysics.

3)  Occam's Razor does indeed say that "one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything."  (BTW, it is refreshing to hear someone actually state the principle correctly for a change. :) )  The thing is, an uncreated Creator is the only sufficient explanation available for why a universe exists at all.  If there is not such being, we don't have any explanation for the universe's existence.  I would hardly call that a "needless" multiplication of entities.  It is very needful.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 02:28:09 pm by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
1) The problem with "random evolution" from a Christian/Jewish/Muslim standpoint is not the "evolution" bit.  The problem is the "random" bit.  If the way God made us was through an evolutionary process, that's fine.  What we aren't willing to say is that it "just happened"--God oversaw it.  It wasn't a random process, but had a purpose.

* Some theists, who are confused in their thinking, take aim at the evolution part instead of the random part. This is because they have failed to distinguish between these two separate elements in the phrase "random evolution."[/size]

Read Dawkins. Evolution need not be entirely random. There comes a point where the process of self-replication is the driving force beyond mere random factors.

2)  So the question is, was evolution (assuming it is true) random or purposeful?  The answer to that question cannot be scientific: it falls outside of the boundaries of scientific invetigation.  To say it is random is as unscientific as to say it is purposeful.  This is not a problem, in much the same way that it is not a problem that 1+1=2 and 1+1¹2 don't rhyme.  When we say that evolution was random or purposeful, we are no longer talking about science.  We are talking about metaphysics.

Steven Hawking has a wonderful take on this--two of them actually. From one perspective, the universe may not need a creator because it may have always existed (Brief History of Time, the chapter on 'imaginary time'). On the other side of the coin he puts forward the argument that the need for a Creator is a moot point as the laws of the Universe started with the creation of the universe, thus what came before is fundamentally unknowable and has no bearing on what exists now in any case. Either a Prime Mover is unnecessary or He is irrelevant. In both cases, the Universe remains the same.

3)  Occam's Razor does indeed say that "one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything."  (BTW, it is refreshing to hear someone actually state the principle correctly for a change. :) )  The thing is, an uncreated Creator is the only sufficient explanation available for why a universe exists at all.  If there is not such being, we don't have any explanation for the universe's existence.  I would hardly call that a "needless" multiplication of entities.  It is very needful.

See above.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by LtNarol
While I agree that a single random string of evolutionary changes creating humans is unlikely, keep in mind that evolution is a stage by stage process.  First you have to get from that slime into multi-celluar organisms.  More to the point, the universe is by inherent nature chaotic - it doesn't stop when one combination fails, it keeps going until it finds one that does work.

Evolution and modern organisms can be paralleled with a password and a descrambler.  If one thing doesn't work, it tries another, and another, until it finally get its right.

:wtf: First you state that evolution is a stage-by-stage process. I agree, and even emphasize it more - evolution is billions of stages, each building upon the successes or failures of its predecessors.

Then you compare it to a password and a descrambler. Inaccurate. Evolution can best be compared to billions of descramblers (life forms) trying to break an ever-changing series of passwords (survival in the ever-changing environment), with each wrong password guess neutralizing that descrambler ("bad" evolution, a mutation not working, would kill off that branch of evolved beings). The only advantage given to descramblers that get a password right the first time, and thus survive, is that they survive long enough to multiply into other descramblers that already know the correct password for the previous "level".

A supreme being creating us from the aether would not be boring. It'd be pretty damned exciting. However, the evidence is to the contrary. There is a fairly conclusive fossile record dating back before the ~6000 year mark most Creationists believe in (I think there's some Biblical 'evidence' for that number. I am not sure). The problem with the Creationist theory is that it is not testable in any meaningful way. It is unscientific.
For a theory to be scientific, it must explain why things are as they are now, and make predictions as to how they will become. Creationist theory does the former, but fails the latter. What predictions can you make from Creationist theory? Do organisms evolve or do they just pop into existence (ie, are they created)? Evolution also explains why things are the way they are, but it also makes certain predictions about the future development of organisms. The predictions are borne out by observation of simple organisms (bacteria for example) and more complex organisms (such as reptiles and fish).
You argue that a Supreme Being is "simple". This is as far from the truth as one can get. Occam's Razor states, "one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything". Your invocation of a Creator that can not be detected, predicted, duplicated, observed experimentally, or otherwise be shown to exist, sounds like "increasing... the number of entities required to explain" the situation. I'll reserve my judgement on the existence of creator beings for private conversation. However, given the evidence at hand, I'm going with evolution from self replicating chemical compounds as the simplest explanation.

Personally, I've been "converted" from my basic 6000-year-old Earth upbringing by new realizations that fit the facts as well as being obvious in hindsight. This new look on the history of our planet is something I've explained a number of times in the past, so I won't go into detail here. I'll just refresh your memory that it is that theory which, due to time-dilation upon the Earth from rapid speed induced by the Big Bang, correlates the 16.7 billion years the earth is said to have existed with the events stated to have occurred on each of the 6 days of creation as stated in Genesis.

And as for your last sentence.... I simply can not understand how people can study the complexity and interdependancies all around us - ecological balance (read Charles Pellegrino's novel "Dust"), biological interaction and interdependance (look at our very bodies), and geological dependancies (temperature variances, radiation protection layers, etc)- and call it all happenstance, let alone the "simplest explanation".

Read Dawkins. Evolution need not be entirely random. There comes a point where the process of self-replication is the driving force beyond mere random factors.

No. Evolution is the adaptation of a species to its environment. Self-replication is a species' way of continuing life, and has nothing to do with evolution, except for one thing: without self-replication, there can be no continuation of evolution's beneficial mutations.

Steven Hawking has a wonderful take on this--two of them actually. From one perspective, the universe may not need a creator because it may have always existed (Brief History of Time, the chapter on 'imaginary time'). On the other side of the coin he puts forward the argument that the need for a Creator is a moot point as the laws of the Universe started with the creation of the universe, thus what came before is fundamentally unknowable and has no bearing on what exists now in any case. Either a Prime Mover is unnecessary or He is irrelevant. In both cases, the Universe remains the same.

*pilots 747 through "plot-holes"* :p

"...the universe may not need a creator because it may have always existed..."

If one can accept that, then one should also toss out the window one's opposition to the existance of a Creator based on the "who made the Creator?" argument.

"...On the other side of the coin he puts forward the argument that the need for a Creator is a moot point as the laws of the Universe started with the creation of the universe, thus what came before is fundamentally unknowable and has no bearing on what exists now in any case..."

Irrelevant on a couple of levels:

a) Your belief or disbelief in the rumors about Israel's possesion of nuclear weapons did not have the slightest effect on the actual truth that Israel does in fact have nuclear weapons.

In like manner, our inability to comprehend the existance of XYZ outside of our realm of physical laws has no bearing on XYZ's actual existance.

b) The concept or mindset of "if we can't affect it, it must be irrelevant" ("...what came before is fundamentally unknowable and has no bearing on what exists now in any case...") is one I find surprisingly immature, as it shows a complete disregard for anything outside of "me". Continuing our analogy, if you tried with every means at your disposal to acertain the existance or  non-existance of nuclear warheads under Israeli control, and yet were able to find out absolutely nothing, would it then not affect you if one of those nukes was detonated a dozen meters away? After all, knowledge of those nukes existing was unknowable for you, but you forgot that "you" are not the only thing in the universe.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
And as for your last sentence.... I simply can not understand how people can study the complexity and interdependancies all around us - ecological balance (read Charles Pellegrino's novel "Dust"), biological interaction and interdependance (look at our very bodies), and geological dependancies (temperature variances, radiation protection layers, etc)- and call it all happenstance, let alone the "simplest explanation".

It's not happenstance. What people seem to mistake is that accumulation of random events can end up giving you a fairly complex pattern once acted upon by natural selection.

Evolution is NOT random despite what you may have heard. Mutation is random. Natural selection most definately is not.

Evolution isn't simple either. Most of the people who argue against it don't even really understand how it works. However there is an enormous amount of evidence around in favour of evolution any religious explaination needs to explain that away too which as I said makes it automatically more complicated than the scientific explaination.