Poll

Did you survive the Capella nova the for very FIRST TIME?(Timeout: 60 days)

Yes, because I am a cool pilot.
13 (18.6%)
No, but at least I can say I have seen a sun really close by :D
57 (81.4%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: November 30, 2003, 08:21:43 am

Author Topic: Be honest: Capella nova  (Read 7955 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Hippo

:eek: Havent you clicked Grew Wolf 2009's title?

nah, I mean the jump out bug, not the no nova bug.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
i made it ;)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by TrashMan

My jump drives were powering up, I was just about to enter the jump node (the blue tunnel was just begining to open) when it hit and....BOOOOOM

Ohhh .... it is called as 'If I could make a jump as quickly as the Ai does, I would have made it'.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Starks

Wait a sec... CAPELLA GROWS BIGGER? I've never noticed that, I never have time to use rearview.
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
That's not Capella, that's its sun. :)
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I was actually on the Warp-Out scene, when it hit me and killed me, that REALLY confused the Engine!

Flipside :D

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I was blasting Shivans left and right about 8 klicks from the node when the warning came in. I boosted max power to engines, but only got 4 klicks when the shockwave hit.

That´s what i get for flying the Ares. Good fighting ship, but not so good for fleeing colossal, force-of-nature-size walls of fire moving at close to the speed of light. :devil:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Su-tehp
That´s what i get for flying the Ares. Good fighting ship, but not so good for fleeing colossal, force-of-nature-size walls of fire moving at close to the speed of light. :devil:

The tech description did warn you, you know... ;)

[q]As a result, the Ares handles like a potato.[/q]
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

I had the sense to fly the Erinyes.  I can't stand ships that handle worse than the Magnum-AHT from Descent 3...

When the supernova warning popped up I was about 5 klicks out, and the first thing to cross my mind was, 'Thought so'.  After all, if eighty massive warships have converged on a star and are pumping a lot of power into it, something dramatic is gonna happen.  I'd predicted the supernova about 3 missions previously...
So I ramped my engine power to the stops, hit my burners, and made a bee-line for the node.  At one point, a Shivan got in my way and I shot it to pieces without even changing course.  Got to the node with about 15 seconds to spare, and jumped out successfully.

Outro movie was pretty cool.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Venom

nah, I mean the jump out bug, not the no nova bug.

IIRC, (fs1 is immune :p ) its that when you press alt-J, your jump drives power up, but immediately as your speed hits 40M/s, it says "jump drive de-activated"... It sometimes tke 20ish minutes to get out of the mission... (without pressing Esc or Shift-Esc)
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Lutz

Although I've only played FS2 once I got out first time fine, quite easily too. Although I was in a fast ship, not a heavy fighter or some such.

Stupidly I'm gonna say that I can't remember what the ships name was! It was the Pegasus I think. What ever replaced the Valkyrie.

Offline FoxHound

• Braveheart
I must be the only person who chose to fly the perseus intercept fighter. After all, it was mostly bomb intercept, and what fighter does it better?

Needless to say, the perseus got me to the node with tons of time to spare. Though, I do sometimes question the gravity factor that must be put on the pilot when flying a perseus with engines at full and afterburners going on and off

but, capital ships survive going in and out of subspace at those speeds that they do...
**newbie**

I must be the only person who chose to fly the perseus intercept fighter. After all, it was mostly bomb intercept, and what fighter does it better?

I typically choose the default fighter or something similar for the sake of playing the mission in the way that the designer had intended. Which isn't to say its wrong to fly anything else of course. I'm not the greatest fan of the Perseus, its got nice speed but when my back's against the wall like in those last few missions I'd like a big loadout and thats something the Herc and brethren can provide. Just fire and forget because there's more on the way.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I just never turn down the Erinyes whenever I have the choice. I mean, 8 Kaysers... come on, they say "power" in any language. :D
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel
I typically choose the default fighter or something similar for the sake of playing the mission in the way that the designer had intended.

Beware of that. I frequently choose a non-optimal default loadout for my missions just to make things harder for people not paying attention to the mission briefing :D
 Nothing major but little things like not including trebs for a bomber intercept mission :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

come on, they say "power" in any language.

Especially Braille...
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
i did escape
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi