Author Topic: Question about silent threat  (Read 2620 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Question about silent threat
I fought my way through Silent threat(The FS2 Port version one) without any cheats on Medium and Easy until the last mission. In the last mission, all my wingmen die so quickly that they are even unable to take down the Arcadia. I am left on my complete own to destroy the Arcadia. I had enough of it and I activated cheats(I was outnumbered 6 to 1). I turned invulnerability on and I destroyed the station and all the fighters. After, the Hades jumps in, so does GTA reinforcements. The reinforcements I get are ALSO vaporized so quickly. I am on my complete own again, against a trmemndous amount of fighters and the Hades herself. I think it is an overkill. Is Silent threat like this by default, so did the Port guys did something wrong in the mission conversion?

[EDIT] I mistyped Silent threat. Thanks to Goober for quoting it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 07:23:49 am by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
Nope, that pretty much happens in  the real deal too, those pilots all seem to be morons
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

I finished that mission just yesterday. And became really pissed when i found it was the end of the campaign...:hopping:
I made it in medium difficulty. I found that the best way to pass it is to forget about the station and the Hades, and focus on the fighters. Protect your bombers, they are vital. I managed to destroy the station just when Hades was jumping in. Then i told the bombers to kill it, and i placed myself near the fighterbay, waiting for the Lokis comming out. It was easy. Really important too, is to save the cruiser. When the cavalry jumps in, a squad of bombers launches from the Hades to kill it. Take them out. If you follow the game´s auto-targeting, you will only kill Lokis. Look for bombers once in a while, because they kill the cruiser in just a few seconds. If you save the cruiser, he will place himself above the Hades fighterbay, and rain fire on them as they come out!
;7

I used a bomber at first, and kept loosing. Then i changed for the Valkyrie, and it all runned smoothlly!
My score in that  mission was 49 kills!
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Oh btw, there is a sequence for the Loki fighters to come out. They come out in groups of five (or six?), and if you kill about 60% of them, a new wing will launch. The more you kill, the more they launch. If you can jerk around with the last two fighters, without killing them, but preventing them from attacking your bombers, you won´t have to deal with so many fighters, and kill the Hades.
As soon as you kill another fighter, a new wing will launch, and you will be up to wazooo in fighters!
Kill them quickly. Draw them out away from the bombers, and use your afterburners! You need to be quick about it!

;)
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Sounds like you got it figured out ;)

Good for you, I always had to kill it myself :p
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Hey TopAce... just FYI, now that you've used cheats in a cmapaign, you won't be able to progress any more...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Fear

i hate silent threat it made my hate fs1/2 for a while.

Originally posted by Hippo
Hey TopAce... just FYI, now that you've used cheats in a cmapaign, you won't be able to progress any more...

I don't know if there's something wrong with my copy of the game (or maybe something...right?;7 ) but i have never been stopped from advancing in a campaign because i used cheats.  Does this happen to anyone else?
"Outside of a Dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!"--Groucho Marx

http://www.geocities.com/CapsFan9803--My Resume

VOLITION FOR Fs3

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
http://www.descent-freespace.com/cheats/fs1/

[q]Plus, you can enable the debug keys by entering www.volition-inc.com while playing the game (single-player only of course), however you can not advance to the next mission then anymore. The following debug keys are available, which you have to press along with the ~ key [/q]

It affects me... it has for 8 years now...

AHTW

No, i mean does anyone have the case where it doesn't affect their campaign when they use cheats.
"Outside of a Dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!"--Groucho Marx

http://www.geocities.com/CapsFan9803--My Resume

VOLITION FOR Fs3

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hippo: That rule is only for FS1, not FS2.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Yes, I know, but we've ben talking about FS1... At least, noone mentioned the port...

AHTW

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes they did. :p
Originally posted by TopAce
I fought my way through Sulent threat(The FS2 Port version one)

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Originally posted by Hippo
It affects me... it has for 8 years now...

:wtf: 8 years. How is that possible if FS1 only came out 6 years ago?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Bri_Dog

Silent Threat port is finished!? Is this Reborn we're talking about?
Sig

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Here's to the yet-to-be-released Silent Threat: Reborn, which will rescue the original from its mediocre half-assed incarnation!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The original Silent Threat has been ported.  Silent Threat: Reborn is still in development.

Offline Bri_Dog

Originally posted by Goober5000
The original Silent Threat has been ported.  Silent Threat: Reborn is still in development.

Ah, I see.

Thanks
Sig

I always thought that cheats make it so you can't progress in Fs2. I read it up on the Freespace homepage. I beat the game without cheats so I replayed levels with cheats. :D But I had to redo the entire campaign because of the comp messing up on me. BUt, using a trainer, I made it to the Bation level before for some reason my progress was lost. No, I didn't switch campaigns.
I figure my kids will think I'm cool cause I pwn noobs. -UdderJuice

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
redsniper:, and to my mistake... I looked at one of the early table comments that said 1998, and added wrong...

AHTW