Author Topic: Why do you dislike the Colossus so much?  (Read 37804 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Why do you dislike the Colossus so much?
Now that KARMA's Hi-poly Colossus is on the way, I feel like asking why you dislike the Colossus so much? Is it because of the modelling, or the shape, or is it simply ineffective for your likes?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Well... Let's look at all the technical breakdowns...
When the Colossus should have killed the Iceni, they had a problem with the fire controls, when they were in battle with the first Sathanas, they said, that their cooling-system isn't build for a heavy load like this...
What have the colossus done?
NOTHING...
It destroyed one Deimos, one Ravana and one Sathanas for which it took a very long time, when I remember right (the repulse doesn't count ;) )...
This ship was big, but not good...

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
yeah for a ship that size it should have been armed to the teeth and vasporize fleets instead of takeing day with a bloddy corvette
I hate My signature!

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
The BFG beams were just absolute crap. Therin lies the problem.

Offline n00by

It's just a giant death-trap. Well, it MAY look intimidating, but for its size (cost, crew size) it is far too weak. Especially in terms of armament - even without that "cooling system" thing...

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
now the Neo-Colossus (from some campaign cant remembre) kicked arse it had like uhm 12 BFReds on both sides that was impressive firepower :D
I hate My signature!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
It was a glorious beacon of Terran Command's ineptitude.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Kie99

Originally posted by Mr_Maniac
When the Colossus should have killed the Iceni, they had a problem with the fire controls, when they were in battle with the first Sathanas, they said, that their cooling-system isn't build for a heavy load like this...
NOTHING...
It destroyed one Deimos, one Ravana and one Sathanas for which it took a very long time, when I remember right (the repulse doesn't count ;) )...

With the Iceni the Colossus' guns were sabotaged by the SOC so ETAK could be used.  The Colossus also ripped an NTF Battlegroup to shreds.  The Colossus was never designed to take out Juggernauts, only to eliminate smaller ships.  If you put a few Orions against a Colossus the Colossus will own them.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Too many eggs in one basket, lack of manouverability, the heating problem was with the beams, not what it was shooting at, a well planned assault with 8 cruisers would have crippled it, a logistics Achilles-heel, too many blind spots, the list goes on.

The Colossus was a folly.

Offline Gai Daigoji

• Gekigangar!
    • http://www.freewebs.com/neo-terra
I thought the Colossus was a good ship, only that Command used it in the wrong situations :nervous:
Freespace 2: Neo-Terra - My Freespace 2 website that holds my completed FS2 campaigns.

Darkness Rising - Current campaign I'm working on.

Mission Designer for the Wing Commander Saga.

CURRENT PROJECT: Darkness Rising, WCS
COMPLETED PROJECTS: Neo-Terra, Unification Prequel, Solar Wars Chapter 1, Deep Blood, Return to Neo-Terra (Part 1).

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
The only thing I dislike is the shap and the model.

It just doesn't look very powerful.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Mr_Maniac
NOTHING...

The sabotage that allowed the Iceni to escape was not a fault in the Colossus' design. Rather was it the mistake of Counter-intelligence.
The message concerning the reactors is only a random message the High Noon's FREDer wrote just to have some messages to send.

And what has the Colossus done? Won against the NTF, saving the GTVA. It was the only ship that had firepower to deal with a Shivan juggernaut. Shivan warships have always been stronger than Terran or Vasudan ones. Think of an Orion-Lucifer duel and a Colossus-Sathanas one. See the difference? Simply the GTVA did not expect to encounter 80 Sathanas juggernauts. Why do you blame the Colossus for not being able to stop this fleet? What ship could have?

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Originally posted by Raa
It was a glorious beacon of Terran Command's ineptitude.

Colossus was a joint venture (Emperor Khonsu II proposed it's construction in the first place), and as far as I know, Terran Command doesn't exist anymore in the GTVA, only Command, which handles both the Vasudan and Terran fleets. ;)

Reasons why I dislike it? Along with most of the other new ships in FS2, it is very poorly designed, big, ugly ****, and has a horrible brown-yellow-texturing.
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
surly 80 colossuses would have stood a slight chance against 80 sathani. had the gtva not had to deal with the ntf, the collossus would have been perfected before fighting the shivans. by the time it got to sathanas that ship had been quite beat up without a decent repair overhaul. the amout of damage a collision with the reuplse had caused im suprised the ship didnt fall apart sooner. parking the colossus in front of the sathanas should have been a nono. the intel alpha 1 gathered should have given command a better idea as to where the clossus should have been positioned.

the game was designed for fighter combat, the capships were only there to give the feel a ww2 naval battle, and to build a good story around. story and atmosphere are the 2 best things about this game, and in that respect the colossus was used perfectly :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
The Colossus is pretty powerful.
There are four BGreens and four TerSlashes, each on the side.  When the Colossus was in powerful mode, the Terslashes went bye-bye and the BGreens turned into BFGreens.  The colossus' laser blobs suck because there is a small shipsize to range ratio, plus the blobs move slowly, do little damage, and are easy to evade.

Offline Roanoke

People forget the Colossus was designed to kill Lucifers, not Sathanas (that's kinda the whole storyline for FS2 too). No one in the GTVA was aware of the Sathanas clsass Jug while the C was being designed.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
^
That's the point of my second post!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd like to ask the same question myself, TopAce.  Besides you, I sometimes think I'm the only person who actually likes the way the Colossus looks.  Its design practically screams "super-ship-o'-doom." :p

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
ALL GTVA ships suffered from the massive cooling problems, hence the huge 30 sec recycle tyme for terran beams compared to the 2-7 econds for shivans.

And i also enjoy the looks of the colossus, not the ugly brown texture though.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

It's just the looks.  The general shape doesn't bother me too much, or even the texture - it just really really needs high polying cause it needs a lot of extra detail.  It takes up a lot of screen real estate and it's a ship you see a lot of in the campagain, so it's low level of detailing really stick outs like a sore thumb.