Author Topic: bEAMS IN fs1  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Hm, I'm wondering that if we can convert FS1 to FS2 then maybe there's a way to convert FS2 to FS1 ah? The hardest part would be the beams of course. Is that possible. I think it is! :D :p

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yeah, could be done as a long missile trail that goes really fast, like the lucifers SSLs, but they wouldn't be true beams (eg. you couldn't make slashers, and all the damage would be done in the initial blast). No glow either. Doable though, if you had the motivation
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
but what for? I guess everybody has FS2 here. what's the use of playing it again on an outdated engine?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
It's just an idea, nothing more.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
You can use FS2 beams in FS1, just copy everything beam related to proper folders, like effects, sounds and so on. :)

Offline HotSnoJ

• Knossos Online!
    • http://josherickson.org
Ya but how do you get all those efex in the game so it looks like the beams from FS2
I have big plans, now if only I could see them through.

LiberCapacitas duo quiasemper
------------------------------
Nav buoy - They mark things

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
You can use FS2 beams in FS1, just copy everything beam related to proper folders, like effects, sounds and so on. :)

of course not, the beam code isn't in the FS1 engine.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
You'd need some work to make something similar to beams, but it would be possible. I don't really see the point of it, though.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
I see a point...if you're bored enough to do something and if you succeed everyone would think you're cool!!! (I would think so)

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
My FS1 does not even run on my pc dunno why...It only ran once then it refused to start.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by venom2506

of course not, the beam code isn't in the FS1 engine.

The code necessary for beams is there, I have seen FS2 style beams used on FS1.

(Can't remember if it was me who tried it or did I saw a pic of it LOL ;))

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Originally posted by Mr. Fury

The code necessary for beams is there, I have seen FS2 style beams used on FS1.

(Can't remember if it was me who tried it or did I saw a pic of it LOL ;))

Wel if it was in the FS1 engine why wouldn't they use it then?;)
As to program something in the engine that isn't used is a waste of money and time...So it doesn't sound very logical imho.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by darkage

As to program something in the engine that isn't used is a waste of money and time...So it doesn't sound very logical imho.

How in the hell should I know?
Perhaps the engine just can use that kind of weapons but devs didn't thought of that back then?

Edit: Or then they saved it for FS2. ;)
Product sells better when you really have something new on it, FS2 was the first space combat simulator that has "real" beams. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2002, 12:22:22 pm by 173 »

Offline Nico

• Venom

That's what they did for red faction anyway.
SCREW CANON!

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum

Yeah right. SSM, Freespace is tired...etc etc. There's all sorts of junk hiding in FS. Stuff that never made it into use in the main campaign.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by Ten of Twelve
The hardest part would be the beams of course.
No, the hardest part would be the nebulas. Hard, as in IMPOSSIBLE.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Pfff Easy.

You just make a non-crash-into-able thingy made of 700 horizontal planes, nebula textured and speckled with that transparent green colour. Then you put 3 in the mission and spin them to give the full nebula effect.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Let me just say this: Nobody better expect me to do anything.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline JC Denton

• Node For Me
Even if the code for the beam effects is there in FS1's engine, it's doubtful that it'd understand the SEXPs that tell it how to use the beam.  i.e. FS1 probably doesn't know what to do if it finds a "beam-free-all" event in a mission.
"I condemn false prophets, I condemn the effort to take away the power of rational decision, to drain people of their free will -- and a hell of a lot of money in the bargain. Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain."  - Gene Roddenberry

"Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by JC Denton
Even if the code for the beam effects is there in FS1's engine
It's not. Period.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.