Author Topic: Best Game Soundtrack  (Read 19615 times)

Hey Undying's theme song had lyrics... and it was quite eeire.. 

(albiet they weren't singing english though something "Don spera spara, don spera sheo" )

Also call me stupid but I like the bonus track Homeworld by Yes.  It perfectly describes the struggle.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

You take that back!

Sonic music with lyrics...lyrics...kill all the music with lyrics!!

Halo's soundtrack had many lyrics (save the stupid Movementso the Odyssey)

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
You take that back!

Sonic music with lyrics...lyrics...kill all the music with lyrics!!

If you're strong, you can fly
You can reach the other side of the rainbow
It's all right, take a chance
'cause there is no circumstance that you can't handle
When you use your mind

Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom
Trouble keeps you runnin' faster
Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom
Save the planet from disaster

:p
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Cyker

No... kill the lyrics!

If I don't understand the lyrics, it's okay - Then it is just another pleasent sounding instrument.

But if I do understand, that just ruins it - Nobody can write decent lyrics anymore. They all either end up being soppy, silly or just plain lame!

Offline watsisname

Unreal and Deus Ex are my favorites, followed by the FS games and Lemmings (the Mac version, which had far superior music). There is also one track on the Descent 2 vertigo CD that I particularly like.
Which track would that be?  I like New Song #1 (what a name that is) :lol:  "Are You Descent" on the Infinite Abyss CD is quite good, too.  And of course, D1 was A1 supar.
Props to you for saying Lemmings.  Nothing like some upbeat music to bounce to while the little lemmings die in the most amusing ways.  :D

Freespace 1 had a lot of good tracks, though I can't recall any specific names at the moment, and FS2 had some good ones as well.

And I'm surprised that nobody has said Kingdom Hearts yet.  I simply love the soundtrack for that game. (KH2 even more so, though some of the remixed tracks like "Scherzo Di Notte" seem less intense than in the original).

« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:31:12 pm by watsisname »
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Halo's soundtrack had many lyrics (save the stupid Movementso the Odyssey)

That's Halo 2. And it had lyrics as well. Get your facts straight.

Lyrics means, you know, actual words. Not Gregorian-chant style.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yup, it's kind of complex, but one way of thinking about it is that Hymns don't have lyrics, they have words ;) Basically it's partly to do with voice harmonies as well as Choirs.

Does anybody remember Fury3 soundtrack offhand? I can't seem to find the cd anymore (probably lost in time)
Correction: i found the case just not the cd  :blah:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:58:19 pm by Scooby_Doo »
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

It may not be origional music, but my vote goes for the music on v-rock from GTA: Vice City.  80's metal rules.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Does anybody remember Fury3 soundtrack offhand? I can't seem to find the cd anymore

I have a few of the tracks, got them off Napster waaay back in the day. The Pharotek, Main Menu, Intro, Tech Descriptions, and one more track which I can no longer remember which level it belonged to. (Believe it was the namesake Fury level, but the track tags call it "Industrial Rage Theme".)

Also have the Terminal Velocity soundtrack, which I ripped out of the game.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Terminal Velocity... I missed that one.

I never got to play the later incarnations due to lack of a 3D accelerated computer at the time. Though I did run across a trailer or something and kinda liked the song in it...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Unreal and Deus Ex are my favorites, followed by the FS games and Lemmings (the Mac version, which had far superior music). There is also one track on the Descent 2 vertigo CD that I particularly like.
Which track would that be?  I like New Song #1 (what a name that is) :lol:  "Are You Descent" on the Infinite Abyss CD is quite good, too.  And of course, D1 was A1 supar.
Props to you for saying Lemmings.  Nothing like some upbeat music to bounce to while the little lemmings die in the most amusing ways.  :D

It's track 7 on the Vertigo CD. I'm not sure what it's called - the tracks on that CD don't have any names - but as far as single pieces of game music go, it's one of my all-time favorites. (it's the one in which the first 15 seconds and last 8 seconds are almost silent and contain just a few weird noises)

The Lemmings music is amazingly high quality considering how old that game is. I recorded all of it off my ancient Mac a few months ago. I'm listening to one of the tracks right now, actually. :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I quite like Meccs at the Ready from the Giants : CItizen Kabuto Soundtrack and all the various variations of it that you hear during the Mecc sections of the game. The tracks for Delphi and Kabuto don'tt quite excite me in the same way though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Nobody can write decent lyrics anymore.

Room of Angel from Silent Hill 4. Beautiful. Dark. Nasty.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Roanoke

I like the music form Quake2. I don't normally go for that sort of thing but it was one of the first PC games I got.
i was always into consoles and only got my first pc around 1999/2000 (IIRC).

oh and the original Souledge
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 03:58:37 pm by Roanoke »

FF7

Okay, I have to ask...how the hell can you, can anyone, say FFVII? I have both soundtrack and game, a friend gave them to me when cleaning out their stuff, and the soundtrack is extremely unimpressive in terms of both composition and quality. Further it simply fails as a soundtrack, hearing it ingame is jarring as all hell. It's a bunch of crappy MIDI tunes, which even though I'm not particularly fond of that or any Final Fantasy, do not do the game justice at all. Every time I hear it I think the person who decided to do things this way should have been stood against the nearest wall and shot.

It was crap if you had no decent MIDI synthesizer. Square included the Yamaha software XG on the disc, though, which made it sound awesome on a crappy card. Perhaps this was your problem?

I have to give Bungie credit for the best game soundtrack ever created. Halo 1 was excellent, with Halo 2 being even . My favorite songs from the H2 soundtrack are either In Amber Clad, or The Last Spartan

Have you heard Halo 2 Vol 2? Theres some really good stuff in there. I hope Halo3s music is as good as what we hear in the trailer.

My other favourites are Deus Ex, Wing Commander 3 and 4.

Offline Cyker

FF7

Okay, I have to ask...how the hell can you, can anyone, say FFVII? I have both soundtrack and game, a friend gave them to me when cleaning out their stuff, and the soundtrack is extremely unimpressive in terms of both composition and quality. Further it simply fails as a soundtrack, hearing it ingame is jarring as all hell. It's a bunch of crappy MIDI tunes, which even though I'm not particularly fond of that or any Final Fantasy, do not do the game justice at all. Every time I hear it I think the person who decided to do things this way should have been stood against the nearest wall and shot.

It was crap if you had no decent MIDI synthesizer. Square included the Yamaha software XG on the disc, though, which made it sound awesome on a crappy card. Perhaps this was your problem?

Yeah, you really needed a decent wavetable-synth card and sample bank to appreciate the music. The FM or Microsoft software MIDI emulation just doesn't cut it.

I was lucky - I had an AWE-32 with 32MB of RAM (Of which I was dead chuffed - Do you know how hard it was to find 2x16MB 30-pin SIMMS?!?!?) with a 25MB samplebank loaded and it was AWEsome ;)

It kinda sucks that MIDI's so neglected now - Even the latest X-Fi's come with really ****ty sample-banks these days, and my Live! uses friggin' system RAM to store the MIDI samples (Admittedly with 1GB , that 25MB bank doesn't make too bad a dent, but the problem is the Live! has to keep accessing the PCI bus, unlike my old unusable ISA-bus AWE, when playing MIDI. Not so bad now, but on my old motherboard I would get lots of clicks and pops during heavy MIDI+Wave use :().

Have you heard Halo 2 Vol 2? Theres some really good stuff in there. I hope Halo3s music is as good as what we hear in the trailer.

Never. where'd you get it???  :confused:

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I got it from Amazon.

It's awesome stuff. :yes: