Author Topic: I'm getting tired...  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
God, and you people say that my country is bad :p

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
LOL

Well, the thing is that our government is trying to become a nanny state, the latest plans are to make schools and other governemt facilities responsible for bringing up your child from Dawn till Dusk (Great choice of name there Tony, I think of vampires everytime it's mentioned). This is, to me, a terryfying prospect, your children being taken away from you and, to all intents, being indoctrinated to be 'a good citizen' ('Citizenship' is another aspect high on the agenda for the government).

If you couple this with an attempt to identify criminals from the age of 3 and it paints an horrific Orwellianesque picture of a society being controlled, evaluated and assigned to groups from cradle to grave.

Strangely enough, I don't think this is the intention, however, the government in adopting this 'We know things you don't, you'll just have to trust us, it's all for your own good' etc attitude are creating it nonetheless by treating an entire country as though we haven't been perfectly capable of raising our own children, finding our own jobs and making our own way without severe governmental intervention for hundreds upon hundreds of years.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
British society (and elsewhere) seems to have this tendency to abdicate responsibility rather than accepts it; not just in terms of kids (it's the parents fault, no it's the schools, no it's the police, no it's the government not letting us hit our kids any more, etc) but seemingly for everything (immigrants stealing jobs, filling up the NHS, all crime is down to youths, all that sort of rubbish).  

It's fuelled IMO as much by the media as anything; it's too easy to make headlines by blaming people rather than proposing actual solutions, and that translates to peoples minds and eventually filters through to the government.  Whether Labour are doing this out of some misguided sense of it being right, or to callously extend their powerbase, is a moot point as long as people have that sort of attitude.  Unfortunately, I can't see it changing.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Flipside
But ALL kids are criminals at 3 years old, they will quite happily steal, lie and cheat to get their own way, that's what being a 3 year old is all about!

Lol, that's somehow true, but it feels wrong to think that being 3 year old is all about stealing, lying and cheating :D
SCREW CANON!