Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 614028 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: What are you playing right now?
But unlocking new executions, and the gravity star....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Because its bloody massive right?

Yeah. It's a big ole mountain of a game, and while I like the slow pace and atmosphere now, as I'm going through it for the first time, I suspect that the slowness will be rather grating on a replay.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It's the biggest hurdle to me going back to it rather than something I can dip in and out of.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I commemorated the release of The Manadalorian by downloading the EaW mod Rise of the Mandalorians. I frikin' loathe Basilisk war droids.

Beyond that I started  playing Divinity Original Sin 2.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Picked up a PS4 on Black Friday, and I'm starting on Horizon: Zero Dawn. Gorgeous game, and a really cool setting. Imma shoot some robots with arrows.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Tie Fighter 98
Now it's time for the cheat code tractor beam!
Really the people that just dump the beam energy on all other systems don't know what they are doing, take the ability to evade out on an A-wing and they drop like flies.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Been playing Project Warlock quite a lot recently. Despite the TVTropes article mentioning that having Slugshot and Magnum upgrades is a bit redundant, I prefer heavier guns rather than an autoloader, similar to my preference in FS2 for slower-firing guns that do more damage. A stock SMG provides all the spray I could ever want with almost the precision of a sniper rifle.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Been playing Project Warlock quite a lot recently. Despite the TVTropes article mentioning that having Slugshot and Magnum upgrades is a bit redundant, I prefer heavier guns rather than an autoloader, similar to my preference in FS2 for slower-firing guns that do more damage. A stock SMG provides all the spray I could ever want with almost the precision of a sniper rifle.
How is the save system?
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've finished Tie Fighter 98
This windows version is weird, while the late missions at least on appearance are a bit less buggy a few issues seem to still be there.
Unfortunately the mission with the asteroid base and the muurian transport seems to still have that AI bug that makes it extremely difficult on medium.
Then the next mission is mostly tedious because of course it's still transports, at least there is the jamming beam though of course the things still shoot at you during their overly long death animation so if you aren't pointing the beam at them because you are getting to the next target you still can lose half your shields and since you need to slow down since they are after all transports your evasiong capabilites are a bit hampered by the low speed.
Of course the worst part is that in these last missions Zaarin has Tie Defenders when you are on a Tie Advanced, a fighter that while is not that much of a disadvantage (especially with a tractor beam) it's still a slower and more fragile craft that is literally one advanced missile away from being space dust even with 200% shields.
I also suspect there is a weird dissonance between the damage the same missiles deal to enemies and the damage enemy missiles deal to the player because in a Tie Advanced I have been one-shotted multiple times by single adavanced missiles with 200% shields yet I often don't manage to one-shot enemy T/A with 100% shields with my advanced missiles, yes they usually are very badly damaged but I usually just die when I get hit with full shields by a single missile.
Other than that the glitchiest parts are outside the missions, often the music in cutscenes would glitch out and there is some weirdness with the secret order tattoos that have glitched out on me when I reached Emeperor's Reach and now do not display properly.
This and the excision of most MIDI music with the few remaming bits relegated mostly to cutscenes in what appear to be low quality pre-recordings instead of real time MIDI rendering that could benefit from an advanced soundbank like the DOS version take this remake down a notch. Otherwise with the directx 11 wrapper the graphics appear very clean and legible in high resolution which helps quite a lot during gameplay too since it helps to identify enemy fighter formations from a much greater distance without needing to scroll targets (which are rarely in order) and allow for a better distribution of anti-missile cannon fire on first approach.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 04:52:48 pm by Det. Bullock »

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Right now I am back to only Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath.  My ancient refurb GTX 480 finally gave up the ghost after over six years of hard use, so for now I am chugging along with a fanless Radeon 5450 whose origins are unknown.    My new RTX 2060 should be here Thursday, and I am looking forward to turning up the eye candy on some newer titles like Rogue Galaxy: Outlaw, Battlefront II (the new version), Titanfall 2, and  Destiny 2.  I also may try the Forza Horizon 4 demo; that was the only game I had that just refused to load with the old GPU.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
How is the save system?

It only saves in between episode segments, and if you play on any difficulty except Easy, there's a lives system - on higher difficulties, running out of lives means all your progress in an episode, or even the entire game, is erased.

Spoiler:
The save file itself is editable using Notepad++ though.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 (PC)
I reinstalled it with the expansion a few days ago, the gog version works very well out of the box but doesn't seem to play nice with Jedi Knight Enhanced (basically the fixess they applied to the exe to make it play nice with modern videocards interfere with the unofficial patch required for the mod to work) so I'm playing with the vanilla models but the mod that disables LOD works and that enough.
I'm playing it at 1280x960 and while I have found no way to make supersampling work with the game it still looks very nice.
I have decided to go full on secret hunting to get the extra Force stars early on, a few I remembered from the last time I played others I think I discovered for the first time.

How is the save system?

It only saves in between episode segments, and if you play on any difficulty except Easy, there's a lives system - on higher difficulties, running out of lives means all your progress in an episode, or even the entire game, is erased.

Spoiler:
The save file itself is editable using Notepad++ though.

OK, so they actually kept that threat of the game being "old school".
A pity that the "old school" games that this game took inspiration from were games for filthy casuals that let you save everywhere whenever you wanted.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:32:22 pm by Det. Bullock »

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Quake via the Epsilon mod. I am writing an article about quake and Quake 2 so I figured I had better play Q1 so I knew what I was talking about. Bloody good fun! IMO better than what I remember Q2 being, although I completed that way back in the early 2000s so I may not be remembering it so well.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Nier:Automata. Playing on hard with Xbox 360 controller. It's a challenge but overall a wonderful experience. Sound design and character/sword animations are particularly fantastic

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I installed Star Wars: Rebellion on a different computer, and much to my surprise and delight, there no longer seems to be any stutter or choppiness using the tactical screen! This was from a GOG install and recent download. If the chaps over there did something, they did it right. :D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Picked up some more of Horizon: Zero Dawn.  Every time I play it I instinctively reach for a nonexistent paraglider button.  Breath of the Wild spoiled every other open-world game for me. :D

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
My holiday mix has come down to:
Anno 1800, for when it's time to be chill
Mechwarrior 5, for when it's time to blow **** up
FTL, for the intersection of the two.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
In the last week I've played and finished Enslaved: Journey to The West (PC)
A nice story-driven action adventure, also there's Andy Serkis both as the player character's and the antagonist's voice.
It doesn't overstay its welcome but I think a less abrupt ending would have been nice.
It still has that weird triple A thing of going realistic while also going for almost 90s comic body proportions, though regarding the protagonist I wonder if it's a hint towards him being some weird mutant/genetic experiment, there are plenty of pretty vistas though and it's animated very fluidly.

I'm also playing Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of The Sith (PC)
Perhaps because I only played it when it came out on Steam and GOG (I'm using the GOG version) but I always forget how to deactivate that damn security switch in the asteroid level.

Xcom 2 Wotc with a ****load of mods, nearly around 150. Playing on 2nd highest difficulty, can't get higher now without being ripped apart by more than 200 % of enemies. The pods get so big on legendary :D but New enemy variants are fun, and some of the modded classes for soldiers really get strong once they reached The higher levels ;)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Fission Superstar X

You're flying for an eccentric madman, and the gameplay is sorta like FTL meets Convoy.  Tip: the shield can pull loot towards you if you shoot it in the general direction (I usually give enemies the hug of death and then do a quick 360 degree sweep of the shields).