Author Topic: might sound utterly INSANE  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
might sound utterly INSANE
ok umm i got idea off VWBB:

well first lets make rank in FS2 actually usefull how about make an interface for capship flying a bridge (something like ST: Bridge Commander) and give the player ships depending on rank like you can choose to fly a fenris at rank of liutennant in multy or singleplayer as you gain rank you gain better ships aeolius etc etc

now you ask turrets they currently aim at multiple targets right...
well there is a way out make something of an automatic turret controll but the player flying the ship can allso override it and target targets that he wants manually....

to make the capship flying more interesting lets offer an upgrade solution come up with interface to upgrade (say we are a captain got orion right) the ship so you can stick available stuff like ultra anti fighterbeams on the ship....

now you ask why not stick mostly all ultra antis on ship.
well we could make a weapon type flack, anti fighter beam heavy beam types slots. so you cant stick all anti capship beams on a single ship but you can allso make the ship more powerfull as you advance through rank

there ARE a lot of things like what do you upgrade for how to jump to battle zone etc etc. i didnt figure those out and this idea probobly wont go through EVER...

but still whadda ya think it would give a new perspective to FS2 :)
I hate My signature!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
nah
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
as someone else is fond of say:

Drugs are bad 'kay?
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
so my suggestion is THAT bad? :(
I hate My signature!

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
it's not bad, but you need another game for that.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Bri_Dog

It'd be easier to make a FS mod for BC
Sig

Offline Solatar

Yeah, I think that would be absoutely awesome. I love the idea. I just don't think it could for Freespace2 unless you really worked at it.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Slow down there!

We have the source code yes, but that does not mean that we will actually make FS2 a multi-genre game.

It is utterly insane attempt to carry over features from say, Bridge Commander and Battlecruiser (3000AD / Millenium / Whatever).

FS2 is good in what it is now, but we can make it better in it. FS2 is about pilotin fighters and bombers, not cap ships. Few exceptions there will be, for example the big bomber from BWO and Whitestar from TBP. But they are not "pure" cap ships so to say.

Offline Solatar

Yeah, but if he wants to do what he wants, let him. I'm not stopping him.

As for Battlecruiser Millenium, that game is screwed up. Whenever I open up the options menu the game crashes, I've NEVER flown a fighter with the keyboard.

Offline RandomTiger

Basically as coders we want our efforts to be worthwhile. This is dependant on two things.

1. We finish then
2. Some uses them

The biggest jobs that we seem to be willing to consider are things like DX8 and hardware T&L. These should benifit all users and modders. Even the smaller jobs tend to be based on popular opinion or mods that look like they might come to something.

Offline Solatar

Yeah, I think the DX8 upgrade is probaby the first thing on the list, and should stay that way.

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
the thing with people would like the ability to do a "LIVE" jump between two areas of battle during any given time, would create an enourmous stress on performance, hence Memory requirements.

you would actually have to have a Virtaul mission that is taking place in memory only and not on screen. and if player decides to leave that area again, then you would have to move the current mission area to the virtual mission area, and vice verca.

so thats way out in the future, if there at all.

Would be ackward if everything was as it was when you left that area upon your return. you would expect the battle to have progressed.

regarding flying capital ships. yeah could be fun, but then again for how long.

with bobboau`s beams you could already try and get the feeling

by making some really sluggish ships and begin fighting it out.

anyway FREESPACE is a space fighter simulator, not Battlefield2930.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

jump drive ala privateer would be possible. you'd have to recode the way in which missions are handled. basically each star system would have it's own dataset with backgrounds and planetary bodies predefined. then you would have randomly generated ships if it were an open game like privateer. or you would have scripted ships in each system. I know a guy who plans to do this with the sourcecode but I don't know if he has a website yet.
wrong answer you see hiding in that asteroid belt are 6 dralthi fighters, a Kilrathi gangbang. -Devereaux

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Well you could add a bitmap cockpit overlays based on a table entry. Make the player's own ship visible from his eye point (so if you were on the bridge of a Star Destroyer you'd see the front of the ship out the window). You could even have a cockpit geometry sub-object in the .pof
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
Originally posted by DTP
the thing with people would like the ability to do a "LIVE" jump between two areas of battle during any given time, would create an enourmous stress on performance, hence Memory requirements.

you would actually have to have a Virtaul mission that is taking place in memory only and not on screen. and if player decides to leave that area again, then you would have to move the current mission area to the virtual mission area, and vice verca.

so thats way out in the future, if there at all.

Would be ackward if everything was as it was when you left that area upon your return. you would expect the battle to have progressed.

regarding flying capital ships. yeah could be fun, but then again for how long.

with bobboau`s beams you could already try and get the feeling

by making some really sluggish ships and begin fighting it out.

anyway FREESPACE is a space fighter simulator, not Battlefield2930.
'

umm why dont you use tachyon style stuff you jump it shows an animation of you flying by and loads at same time...... then you get to to place to place without needing loads of memory and preloading....
I hate My signature!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by IPAndrews
Well you could add a bitmap cockpit overlays based on a table entry. Make the player's own ship visible from his eye point (so if you were on the bridge of a Star Destroyer you'd see the front of the ship out the window). You could even have a cockpit geometry sub-object in the .pof

Maybe a tbl specified cockpit pof?

Offline Solatar

Yeah, that I might actually like. That would be nice.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Nooo! You can't do that! I always turned off the cockpit view and used the HUD anyway. Now, a targeting reticle that gives the gunpoints, like in Descent 3, would be nice...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
All i think that is needed is the ability for players at Rear Admiral or higher to be able to give commands destroyers, and only those at Commodore or higher to give orders to corvettes...

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
i know they do it in B5 and such.

but really picture this.

A rear admiral giving orders from a fighter, with absolutely no tactical displays.

The rank thing is there so that ppl can compare theire skills, not to have some function in-game.

And it would be hell for mission designers if players could order destroyers around. ofcourse this could be done so that mission designers could disable this feature, but then all would do it in order to have a "controlled" battle and then we are back to square one.

so i say it is to much for to little.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.