Author Topic: Wish list for Top-Secret Total Conversion  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Wish list for Top-Secret Total Conversion
Okay, I know it's not my place to ask, but I don't suppose somebody could put together a build of FS2 that just has the following:

- Fighter Beams (NO TILING!! I HATED THAT! It's a BEAM not a hacksaw...)

- DX8 input (soup up the graphics a bit)

- Increased poly count (when you see some of the models you'll understand! :D)

- Vastly increased ships.tbl allowance (I've got five different navies to fit in!)

- AVI support for campaigns and stuff

*Sits back and waits for the flak*

:nervous:

EDIT: Just a thought - would it be possible to up the 'communal palette' (textures, interface, anis etc) to 32 bit colour?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2002, 02:07:33 pm by 343 »
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline RandomTiger

Avi support is already in the DX8Branch.
Beam titling should be optional for the next release.
I would like to see support for 32 bit textures, not sure about ani's though.
What exactly do you want from DirectInput8 that you are not getting now?

Someone else can handle the rest.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
"NO TILING!! I HATED THAT! It's a BEAM not a hacksaw":doubt:
how many times must I say that it is
A: optional
B: what was seen was a test of the technical implementation not a good example of makeing it look good
C:entirly up to the modder on how to make it look

if you want to see a nearly complete implementation of the code look in my beta testing thread, DL the executable and play with the table values a while
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
I already DLed that, Bob. And Fred2 hates it! Or have you since released an updated code?

What I'm wanting for graphics and poly count and stuff, is simply to have more complex ships (the Karran ships are supposed to be sleek things! :D) and of course, more of them on screen at any one time. The climax of the proposed campaign is very much a tribute to the Battle of Endor (you actually get to fly INSIDE a giant warship to take out the reactor!) and during the main campaign you'll be fighting a silly number of smaller fighters.

The aim is to be of an intensity greater than both FreeSpace 2 and Starlancer.
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
------------

Offline Solatar

I LOVE flying inside ships and taking out reactors. I think we should make some models that are just big levels, like Descent. You fly around inside them. I could really use something like this. On that you can fly in and out of and then around inside for the TVWar project.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
Well, part of the reason that I want the manically upped poly count is I'm still unsure whether or not I'll make the ship as a whole (complete with the tunnel, reactor and stuff) or have two models - one for when it first appears (at a distance) and one for the final mission.
------------

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
Em... that don't sound so impressive...
But the code support would benifit me greatly if it could be done within 2 years :rolleyes: (because other wise I would have to learn to code and do it all my self  :wink: )
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
You saying that my idea doesn't sound impressive? Well excuse me for coming up with ideas that are only just getting off the drawing board!:rolleyes:
------------

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Killfrenzy
Well, part of the reason that I want the manically upped poly count is I'm still unsure whether or not I'll make the ship as a whole (complete with the tunnel, reactor and stuff) or have two models - one for when it first appears (at a distance) and one for the final mission.

Not Endor again... :rolleyes:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

But this thread got me curious...

My idea was a giant asteroid (empire strikes back) BUT a whole lot bigger.  Because that's where the really bad enemies are bred. So one of the climax missions will be to get to the complex, enter it, and "find the reactor" :lol:  No that's been done way too often! Really the objective is someting else, but there will be other secondary ones too... Complete as many of them as possible and then get the hell out! There would be a few cutscenes depending on what actions you take inside the complex...

Thoughts?
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
GE: The INSPIRATION was Endor, because in my opinion that is the finest moment in the Star Wars saga - it was that battle that turned me into a Warsie.

The battle is NOT going to have 'Endor' plastered all over it - hell, it's more likely to take place in a nebula and be more spontaneous. The battle starts out by trying to do a full frontal assault on the massive carrier, realising that it's simply not working, and then having the player simply trying to survive as the commanders and analysts work out a way to take the ship down. Then you're ordered to blow a few hull plates off the ship, and fly inside the construction in a desperate effort to find the reactor and send it over the edge.

If you don't, you lose the war - simple as that. This enemy poses far more of a threat than the Shivans did. And they don't just fight in space, either.
------------

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor

Mmmm...very sneaky way to get more information about an as-yet unreleased mission, GE ;)
-C

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
As yet unreleased, and as yet UNMADE! :D

I made a prototype today - and it does work....however, I've got to get the size right as the ship explodes too quickly post-reactor shutdown.

OT: Does anyone know what affects the 'blow up' time?
------------

Offline Solatar

I think explosion time is affected by how large the model is. Also, if you don't have in the tables that the explosion propogates through it, then it will just explode.

That for example. The station er, shrinks? until it dissapears in fact it actually moves away from you at as it explodes. This cycle takes 3 to 5 Mins I think... It would be cool if the different parts of it could be blown up individually, like:
The radar dish
The control tower
the Gantry arms (all of them!)
the landing pads( so ships can't dock there anymoe! well if they made them real docking points first, I use the circles for show)
ect..
and let it stay where it was till it exploded... The timeis right for a hughe object like that though.
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

btw i will surely try to do this anyway (at least splitting models if polycount is too high and other tricks...when i'll learn em -red alerts, multiple objects and so long)
BUT
i dare that with the fs2 collision system it will be VERY difficult since if tunnel is too thin you will see i think your ship transforming in a pingpong ball:)

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
In trueSpace, make your tunnel width about 5.000 x 5.000. That's the one that I've found works best. :)

Also, don't even THINK of giving different tunnel sections different textures! :D

So yeah - what's actually been DONE on the wishlist? I know that the beams have - what about the poly count and tables?
------------

Offline Fry_Day

Erm, the FS2 code is not built for flying inside large ships, since there's no type of face-removal except backface culling and frustum clipping. There's no PVS (a la quake) or portal-based stuff (a la UT, Descent Series), so basically you draw so much stuff you can't see so it can bog down even the fastest system (They didn't do all those portal-based renderers and PVS stuff for nothing, y'know). A pure Z-buffered implementation just won't cut it for anyone without a super system.

Edit: For the non-technical, what it means is that you're basically trying to draw everything, even when most of it won't be seen on-screen,making the amount of wasted pixels is huge, so either frame-rates are bad, or graphics are bad. Pick one.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2002, 12:39:02 pm by 791 »

Offline Inquisitor

Can't you fly thru the station?

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/techfs/fsships/arcadia.shtml

Maybe not as intricate, but you CAN fly thru that hole.

-edit-
nm, just reread that...
No signature.

Offline Solatar

What about the Karnak, and the Atlantis?