Author Topic: Suggestion: model animation triggers  (Read 5105 times)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Suggestion: model animation triggers
Ok, I dunno if this has been already discussed or anything so here goes:
I think that a very cool thing to have in FS would be model animation triggered by a certain action or SEXP.

What I mean is, in triggered by a certain action:
- You want to have a fighter with weapon barrels like a minigun type primary. In PCS you would make the minigun sub-object, that would rotate if a certain primary point is fired (or any other action, combinations could be many... but the point is that the rotating animation would be triggered by a certain action on the model...). Another useful uses could be a single barrel kickback when fired, or any other thing...

By a certain SEXP:
- for example, you have a capitalship that has a super weapon, but its turret is very weak due to plot issues. Obvously you would want to have some kind of protection for the turret, so you would make a kind of shield door, that protects the turret. Now in a mission you want the super weapon to fire, but it is obstructed by the door, so you would make a SEXP that would make the door open, so that the weapon could fire...

What do you think of these???
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Re: Suggestion: model animation triggers
Originally posted by Raven2001
What do you think of these???

I think that we'd all best run and hide before the RoboTech guys get here and start p1mping this idea.

Seriously, though, I'd be very surprised if this hasn't been mentioned before. As a matter of fact, I think I even mentioned something like this with reference to how the models were jointed and animated in Total Annihilation.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
we (the robotech team ) already have programmers working on all the animation related stuff :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
*cough* hangar doors *cough*

*cough* docking clamps *cough*

*cough* Sathanas arms *cough*

*cough* the living [CENSORED] that I want to include in Into the Night *cough*

;)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by venom2506
we (the robotech team ) already have programmers working on all the animation related stuff :D

Are you guys working alongside the SCP team?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think think i convinced people to implement a descent style movement system, dont know if anyone is working on it.

ok, raven, i dont mean to overstep my athority in out little mod team, but CIM needs a phucking programmer! If you want to program for an EPIC scale campaign that will continue the legacy of the glorious game that is freespace, then join us now!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2002, 08:22:12 pm by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Inquisitor

I was about to ask if they wanted to share that code any time soon :)
No signature.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Sandwich

Are you guys working alongside the SCP team?

dunno, I guess so.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Originally posted by Nuke
i think think i convinced people to implement a descent style movement system, dont know if anyone is working on it.

ok, raven, i dont mean to overstep my athority in out little mod team, but CIM needs a phucking programmer! If you want to program for an EPIC scale campaign that will continue the legacy of the glorious game that is freespace, then join us now!

No authority stepping :) just your opinion, wich I tottally agree, but you gotta understand that almost every programer is workinh her on the SCP... I'm sure we will have the changes we require but it will take time... :(

I've tried to dig out a programmer here in my vicinities, but everyone is very busy (shoving their a$$es, cause I know what are these people business...)

*p1mp ALERT* BUT, if you want to take part in one of the best campaigns in the comunity ever, just E-mail to:
[email protected]
Satisfaction is 99% guaranteed, and if you don't, you get your money back in 30 days :D *p1mp ALERT*
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
of course first we need the animations to begin with.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
Really? I would have though you make the best animation system possible (or sutible) first?
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

That's what I was asking in my robot thread (move over RT guys)...

Soon I'll be testing a Zaku for the Gundam TC. What I wanna know is can we do dynamic animations to give it a little life... Like jerking a little when afterburners go on. Or that Idea I had for the beam saber or any solid melee weapon. a key is programmed and that arm moves once out and back so you position yourself to hit a target at melee range. One sword stroke... Maybe l8ter other anis could be made for things like a martial arts kick (Getter or G gundam).... But I think it would look wicked cool... Thoughts?

;7
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Solatar

Yeah, that would be cool. Also don't forget about the Mechwarrior TC ( I think someone was doing one).

You're right... And I think I know who it is...
You guys said it couldn't be done. Well there is a ground now :) At least it's a start :nod:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i still want fully detailed gatling guns, with all the features, theese include:

barrel acceleration/deceleration, aka spin-up/spin-down.

multiple ammo types (tracer, armor pircing, high explosive, shield distortion, and so on) .

deflection angles (scattering shots), scaled up with rpm.

limeted ammo.

finally, a rotating subobject (part of the ship) that spins in a manner syncronized with the fire rate of the gun.

and that is a simple as i can state it. not that this is not a turret, and is under player control as a primary weapon.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Sic 'em, Venom!

Actually, I don't think so. You guys'll have tp ask Max...

What is going on in the SCP?The only things I've seen are nav lights and beams on fighters. And while the former looks quite useful, isn't there anything else? Please excuse my ignorance.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2002, 10:48:33 am by 368 »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Well, last I heard, Penguin was working on dynamically allocating the tables using values from the registry, and a lot of the coding work is going into the DX8 upgrade. This involves rewriting a rather large portion of the rendering code-thus the lull in new things.
Several features have been put on hold until the DX8 routines are added, because upgrading the engine will make it much easier to add them and it means that less code will have to be rewritten.
That's the current situation as far as I know.
-C

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Well, last I heard, Penguin was working on dynamically allocating the tables using values from the registry...

Meaning exactly what?

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Sandwich

Meaning exactly what?

what you don't know what it means? it's like remotly cycling the superzaformer spline while creatorving the spoonz. What? it's not that? damn :shaking:
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by venom2506

what you don't know what it means? it's like remotly cycling the superzaformer spline while creatorving the spoonz. What? it's not that? damn :shaking:

:blah: