Author Topic: Colossus Cutscene Crowdsourcing  (Read 4593 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Colossus Cutscene Crowdsourcing
The Colossus cutscene has a lot of text and graphics. It's quite a bit overwhelming how many individual animations/blocks of text/graphics are needed for this cutscene. :v: Was working at the incredible resolution of 640x320, so they were able to Lorem Ipsum almost all of it. However at 1080p, I can't get away with that.

So... let's do what we did with some of the early FS2 cbanim remakes and crowdsource it. Everyone take a little chunk to create and have fun with. Lore text and technobabble is good. Easter Eggs and HLP jokes/references are encouraged mandatory. (A little bit of both actually. It works better if people stumble upon the jokes unexpectedly.  :) ) Graphs or other static elements on blueprints don't need to be exactly like the original.. draw something that looks similar and it'll be just fine. Bonus points for labels that might make some kind of sci-fi sense.

Be sure to post what piece you are working so we don't duplicate effort.

Here's what I need....

Blueprints. Do not include the background grid because I'll add that later so they match. Please also stick with white graphics/text. I'll color match everything to blue later on. These need to be 1920x1080 PNG images with transparent background. I have provided hi-res renders of the Colossus wireframe to start.

Front

Left Side

Perspective

Right Side

Walls of Text. For these, you don't need to submit a graphic.. just a text file with paragraphs of text that will fit in the areas circled in red. I recommend watching the cutscene to get ideas of what the text should be focused on. See the above rules regarding Easter Eggs and HLP Jokes/References.

Generic 1

Generic 2

Beam Weapons

Crew Descriptions

Laser Turrets

Missile Batteries

Squadron compliment. Math is cool.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Colossus Cutscene Crowdsourcing
I forgot to add this...

Put your name visibly somewhere in the text or image you create. Immortalize yourself as someone who is awesome and helped complete this project.

Offline Ertanax

• Professional poet, trained scriptwriter.
I'm in for the technobabble.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Can I submit text here?

Description: For the number and placement of beam cannons (anywhere it can can fit)

Hidden Text: Show
“Unlike the Hades's flux cannons which were adapted from shivan components, modern beam cannons require large internal housings, and cannot be mounted on rotating turrets, so in order to allow full offensive coverage, the Colossus will possess a large number of beam cannons along it's entire flank, this makes the Colossus impossible to escape, and no recall or intervention can work against it! It's the Colossus! How could you destroy the Colossus? What a grand and intoxicating innocence! How could you be so naive!? Come and lay down your weapons, it is not to late for the GTVA's mercy.”
-DefCynodont119

My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
I call dibs on the right section of "Generic 1" :P

So far I have text for the top and bottom thirds...

Top third:
Blueprints

In an effort to save space at GTVA anchorages, proposals have been put forth for the neck section to be retractable into the main body of the Colossus.

Middle third
Power statistics

The GTVA Colossus is powered by numerous next-generation Vasudan reactors, allowing it to meet any challenge put before it. However, In the event of a catastrophe, the Colossus will explode very nicely.

Bottom third:
Alternative uses

With the enthusiastic backing of Admiral Colt, Admiral R. B. Bhat has suggested the Colossus instead be utilized for direct physical attacks against hostile warships rather then being a ranged platform, noting both its size and phenomenal speed when turning. Coincidently, Admiral Bhat was formerly a professional player for the Vasudan Baseball League (VBL).
EDIT: Main text done. Now to come up with something for the smaller texts to the sides of the main ones...
EDIT2: Alright, got some text for the sides!

Top third 4 boxes text:
While Alliance Admirals have protested these proposals as they may affect combat readiness of the ships in the event of conflict, leaked concept art of neck-less Colossi have led many in the general public to call it "cute".

Middle third side text:
Vasudan reactors only have a thirty-day return policy. It is thus inadvisable to either damage or destroy these reactors after thirty days.

Bottom third side text:
In theory, an array of spinning Colossi positioned around a jump node could whack any intruders back from whence they came. This tactic will require further study to determine if it is a worthwhile approach.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:54:12 pm by Colt »

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I'm in for the technobabble.

I'd like to get in on the technobabble too, even if I'm not very good at it. In fact, this is the reason I've decided to leave the editing of the tech descriptions of Exile's weapons for last. Basically, I dunno if I can write plausible technobabble, but I can recognize when technobabble is obvious bullsh!t. Case in point: I still haven't forgiven George Lucas for giving us the "hydrospanner" tool. A technobabble tool that means "waterspanner?" Really, George? At least the Kessel Run in "less than 12 parsecs" was more forgivable! (Not to mention that we got a movie starring Emilia Clarke as a Star Wars femme fatale out of that!)

Is there any way to read those text blurbs/increase their resolution so we can decipher them?

And I'll at least take on the Squadron Complement/Math Is Cool blurb since I've done previous work on that.

EDIT: Is there any way to freeze the cutscene in place so that we can study particular frames, like with Vpviewer or something? It's a royal PITA to try to decipher a blurb of text that's only on the screen for half a second out of a 3 minute cutscene.  :rolleyes:

EDIT 2: I'm a dumbass, I just realized I can just go to YouTube and watch and pause the Colossus cutscene there.

Now I have to contribute to the new Colossus cutscene, if only to make my own tribute to Kurtwood Smith, who both voiced this cutscene and memorably played Red in "That 70s Show."

"Computer, how do you say 'dumbass' in Vasudan?"

EDIT 3: Ok, taking my first look at this, it looks like the text blocks in both Fighter Complements and Crew Descriptions are the same paragraph starting with "Math is cool" repeated over and over. I'm of half a mind to just go Monty Python on this and just do my own Freespace-ish version of the "Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I might even throw in some Robocop and "That 70s Show" references in homage to Kurtwood Smith. Hell, I never saw "That 70s Show" but I did see Robocop and that one Star Trek Deep Space Nine episode "Things Past" that Smith was in. And I can look up Red and "That 70s Show" in TV Tropes for material.

Oh yeah, I'm gonna have fun with this. :drevil: :drevil: :drevil:

So, to reiterate, my chosen assignment(s) are 1) Fighter Complement (definitely) and 2) Crew Descriptions (maybe). Assistance/suggestions with the latter would be helpful/welcome, so PM me if you got any.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 05:21:39 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
My first attempt on Crew Descriptions:
“Math is cool. But Kurtwood Smith, who voices this cutscene, is cooler by far. He’s so awesome he was in both the first Robocop film and That 70s Show. Computer, how do you say “dumbass” in Vasudan? If Kurtwood Smith had been a pilot in the GTVA, the Shivans would never have gotten to Capella, because Kurtwood Smith would have shoved his foot up the Shivans’ collective asses. "Ooh, guns guns guuuuuns! Come on, Shivans! The 99th Skulls are playing...tonight! And I never miss a game!" I’ll tell ya, the Universe is a tough place. Let down your guard for one moment and the Shivans will kick you right in the ass.

For my next attempt, I'll make an extended text with gems from here.

...I can't tell if I'm taking this too seriously or not seriously enough. :nervous:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:07:35 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
SNIP

I just leave it here

You jumped the gun on this. standby...

Let's keep this thread dedicated to crowdsourcing all the huge amounts of text.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Squadron complement blurb - after looking at the cutscene, I've typed out something that should fit without scrolling:

The Colossus's hangar is nicknamed the "Hangar of HLP 0wnage" by pilots because it was specially designed by Holt Atmospheric Systems, with inputs from the Akheton Corporation, to fit 240 ships within an area that is only slightly larger than 9 Argo-class transports arranged in a 3x3 formation, while still being able to launch multiple ships quickly in the event of a hull breach.

In case you need a longer version, here's the original text I came up with when I first posted this message:

The Colossus's hangar uses a special compartmentalisation method, engineered by Holt Atmospheric Systems with inputs from the Akheton Corporation, to house its entire complement of 240 fighters and bombers within an area that is only slightly larger than 9 Argo-class transports arranged in a 3x3 formation. The hangar makes extensive use of hydraulic arms, gravity elevators, and the most advanced collision detection systems currently available to maximise the use of available space. Despite its boxy profile, the hangar actually employs a modular design similar to that seen on the GTM Hippocrates - in the event of a hull breach, sections of the hangar can be sealed off to prevent atmospheric bleed, while still allowing the Colossus to continue launching its fighter complement. The technology used in constructing the hangar, the sheer number of ships housed within such a relatively small space, and the hangar's impressive launch capability, have led pilots to dub it the "Hangar of HLP 0wnage", with the letters standing for "Holt's Logistical Parking".

Reference is linked in the original.

By the way, do we use American or British spelling (above uses British)?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:16:25 pm by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

For the missile screen, counterclockwise, from bottom left to bottom right to top right

blurb under the little ani
The Colossus mounts a variety of missile weapon systems, including a variant of the fighter-mounted MX-52 heat seeking missile and 'Piranha' area denial swarm missile. These allow for unrivaled fighter and bomber defense, although budget cuts prevented the use of aspect-seeking missiles which have existed for at least 32 years by this point, seriously the Colossus can't afford a harpoon or two?

tall blurb under "specifics"
The MX-52 heat-seeking missile is an 8th generation anti-fighter missile, which while originally designed to be mounted on fighters found considerable usefulness even when mounted on capital ships.

Despite the relative age of the missile design it is cheap to produce, easy to procure, highly compatible with standard mounting set-ups and easily and quickly reloadable, while retaining sufficient firepower to form a credible threat.

The piranha is a much newer missile design, that fills in the gaps left by the MX-52  and other anti-fighter armaments. It was important that the colossus be able to fend off large clusters of fightercraft which the piranha handles ably.

The wide dispersion of heat-seeking missiles ensures that targets cannot maintain their safety even when obscured.

Used variants include:
XLL-14 'Piranha'
XLL-15a 'Piranha'
XLL-15b 'Piranha'
XLL-16v 'Piranha'

MX-52a
MX-52b
MX-52d
MX-52e

blurbs under the big ani
The MX-52 uses 4 IR emitters with an estimated target resolution of 3.2 meters and 5 degree thrust vectoring for guidance and control.

The warhead deals 25 damage whatever that means but seriously it's heat seeking this isn't hitting anything anyway just turn lmao.

The Piranha missile has 15 submunitions that are detonated remotely by a timed fuse or by proximity with the missile.

Fun fact: the submunitions have a turn time of 1.5 seconds, I'm pretty sure that's the slowest it gets for ""anti-fighter"" missiles.

The launch tubes are located in strategic positions around the Colossus' hull to minimize untargetable areas.

Each launch tube can cycled repeatedly for maximum fire rate and on-target saturation without danger of overheat or jamming.

Under "Sytems"(sic)
The modularity and adaptability of the missile tubes allows their use even in extreme circumstances. Power draw is minimal and crew requirements per launcher are modest. Significant damage control systems are in place in case of damage to the system, preventing premature detonation of warheads within the tubes.

Under specs
the MX-54 missile launcher comes in an 3x4x5x4x3 array while the Piranha launcher has 3 simultaneous 'canisters' prepared for launch within 30 seconds. Both can be reloaded from empty within 5 minutes.

Under weapon systems
Each missile bay operates independently allowing it to accurately track separate targets, and protecting them from a system-wide attack.
2 port
2 starboard
2 aft
4 forward

Under specs at the top
The missile bays on the Colossus are specially designed for it, allowing it integrate with the ship's systems.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:53:08 pm by Asteroth »

Here's another idea for one of the Crew Descriptions panels:
To accommodate the full crew compliment, this ship contains an unprecedented amount of recreational facilities. On proposal of Vice Admiral Skroob the following facilities were added: a two-story mall with various shops, two cinemas and an extended ball room. Furthermore, three swimming pools, a circus, and a zoo. Animals are to be shipped to that zoo as soon as it is logistically possible. To man the circus, all officers and crew serving onboard the Colossus have to take additional mandatory courses to learn appropriate entertainment skills. GTVA Central HR believes this also to be a good concept to improve social engagement within the crew.

Admiral Skroops proposal to also add a so called "Mega M.A.I.D." (Modus for Atmospheric Intake and Distribution) option to the Colossus remains under discussion. As does the idea of Corporal C. Braun, callsign SilverAngel, to add a "We break for nobody" bumper sticker.

For the Squadron Compliment:
Reminder

Any accidental damages to the hangar bay caused by the fighters or bombers operated within are NOT covered by the standard warranty for the GTVA Colossus. Please purchase the extended warranty package to include coverage for such damages up to 250 spacecrafts. Damages caused by intent or gross negligence cannot be covered.

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
I am calling dibs on Right side view and Top view blueprints. Gonna fill it with some neat technobabble and fancy imagery.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I'd like to claim part of the missile section.  If I can't come up with something good by tomorrow, I'll give it up.
Ctrl + f failed for some reason.  I'll take Generic 2 for 300.

Aft Decks:

Aft Decks contain Secondary Reactors A and B.  Reactor A is a 3rd generation 300 cubic meter Meson reactor, capable of 1.21 gigawatts of electricity. Designed by engineers Mike Kulas and Daniel Wentz.  Secondary rector B is a smaller 200 cubic meter 4th generation Meson reactor capable of 2.1 gigawatts. This was designed by Bob Ross and Tom Servo in association with the University of Deneb - Deneb VI campus.

Automated systems monitor the internal temperature of the reactors and shut them down if they are overheated. In the event of a full reactor core meltdown, automatic lockdown occurs on Aft Decks 12 - 47 and radiation shielding is secured in no less than 12 seconds.  Radiation damage will still occur in those decks, requiring dry-dock repairs.

3000 tons of meson reactor fuel must be delivered weekly to sustain the power requirements of the Colossus if it is on campaign. The same amount monthly, otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:19:54 pm by Cyborg17 »

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
My draft bid for Generic 2:

The Colossus is propelled by state-of-the-art impulse displacement systems jointly designed by Triton Dynamics and the Akheton Corporation, the apogee of joint Terran and Vasudan systems engineering.  High efficiency molybdenum polyorganic amalgam heat pipes redirect thermal energy to ship systems, including weapon turrets, shield deflectors, and life support.

The Colossus’ subspace drives are unique in their kind, having been designed using retrofitted Shivan prototypes and salvaged engine components from the Hades wreckage.  The primary drive operates in Class FX push-pull fashion, allowing the ship to perform in system shock jumps and to traverse jump nodes deemed by conventional astronavigation systems to be nigh unstable.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
How about sneaking some histroy into Generic 1 or 2?

This ship is named after the Colossus of Rhodes, a monument which is considered to be second youngest of the "Seven Wonders of the World" from Greco-Roman antiquity.
The original monument was erected between 292 and 280 BCE to commemorate the defence of the island state of Rhodes against the Antigonid king Demetrios Poliorketes. Demetrios laid siege to the neutral island from 305 to 304 BCE for its diplomatic ties to Pharaoh Ptolemy I Soter. Fearing that the Rhodians would supply his dynasty’s adversaries with ships in the then on-going conflict between the Antigonid and Ptolemaic rulers, Demetrios assaulted the island with superior force of troops and ships. Despite intervention from Ptolemy and the Antigonids being pressed at home, the Rhodian polis claimed the victory over the besieging force for itself. The Colossus, as an image of the Rhodes’ patron god Helios, was part of the effort to cultivate the narrative of a Rhodian victory, as well as to honour the patron god for what was believed by the polis to be his intervention during the siege.

The statue was destroyed in 226 BCE when an earthquake struck Rhodes, as it probably was not build to withstand the force of the tremors. According to the historian Strabo, no efforts to rebuild the Colossus were made because an oracle advised the Rhodians against doing so.

Despite its reputation as feat of engineering, both to its contemporaries and following generations, the Colossus was also considered a sign of hubris on part of the Rhodians. Various authors of the Greco-Roman period give anecdotes that the construction of the Colossus brought ruin to everyone involved.

The Colossus is often depicted in popular media as standing with on foot on either side of the moles enclosing the harbour of the capital of Rhodes. That image is fabrication which exaggerates the size of the statue, which was only about 30 meters tall, and removes the statue from its religious context to the polis. Contemporary authors did not specify the location of the statue, or its remains, probably because that knowledge was considered to be a given for their audience. It is most likely that the statue was placed within a Helios sanctuary or temple, its site however remains a matter of academic debate.

NOTE: The "second youngest"-thing needs citation; I'll get on that - however that should line up with the first appearance of the GTVA Colossus being "The Sixth Wonder" as the Pharos of Alexandria is the youngest in the most common lists of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World

EDIT: Added a short bit about the depiction of the Colossus of Rhodes in popular media
EDIT2: fixed the tense in the first sentence
EDIT3: corrected the dates in the second sentence
Edit4: grammar correction to sentence 3
EDIT5: changed the language of the first paragraph to make it a bit simpler
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 03:04:45 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Nahhh it should be about the ship.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Coming along nicely!

Here's what I still need.

-Lasers blubs
-Flak blurbs
-Beam blurbs (Def got this started with a paragraph a few posts up.)
-One more Crew paragraph.

Pics of what's completed.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:34:12 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
I actually love the bit about the ancient Colossus of Rhodes.  The FS Colossus is the Sixth (or was it Eighth) Wonder.  I vote for its incorporation into the cutscene.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
CREW: For the start of the engineering section:

The construction and maintenance requirements are vast, it takes two entire TC-TRIs just to ship the necessary amount of tan paint for the outer hull. To alleviate this, the Colossus has an on-board logistics corps to ensure proper use of all supplies.

My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299