Author Topic: Shivan Comm Node - problems with subobject deletion via SEXP  (Read 1146 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Shivan Comm Node - problems with subobject deletion via SEXP
I have this visual I've found years back. The missions it would have appeared in all fell victim to other circumstances.
But I though I get it out of the mothballs for reason that are non of your buisness. Actually with FSO 21.0.0, I though I could at least ditch having an additional asset around that needs to managed.

Except when I put it through the test on a recent-ish Nightly (20210601) it didn't work - I rolled the Shivan Comm Node back to the retail asset, ran the same SEXP again and it worked.

Please compare the left and middle segments of the following image to see the results:

I adjusted the event to account for the addition of the MVP-exclusive "piece-outer4a" suboject/subsystem:

Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( when
   ( true )
   ( ship-subsys-no-replace
      "Shivan Comm Node 2"
      ( true )
      "core"
      "piece4a"
      "piece-outer4a"
   )
   ( ship-subsys-vanish
      "Shivan Comm Node 2"
      ( true )
      "core"
      "piece4a"
      "piece-outer4a"
   )
   ( destroy-subsys-instantly
      "Shivan Comm Node 2"
      "core"
      "piece4a"
      "piece-outer4a"
   )
)
+Name: no-crystal-node
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1

But the intended result was not produced (see above on the right).

Of course, I had to a look at mv_assets_s-shp.tbm. And I am not quite sure what about it is breaking the SEXP:
Code: [Select]
$Subsystem: piece-outer4a, 0.0, 0.0
$Flags: ( "ignore if dead" "damage as hull" "no aggregate" "no disappear" "allow destroyed rotation" "untargetable" )

Considering it is the FSU who are responsible for this happening, it is only fair to get you involved in fixing it.

EDIT: Debug log; the debug build processes the event with any comment:
https://fsnebula.org/log/60bcbe2ad424e511af391314
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 07:24:31 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Shivan Comm Node - problems with subobject deletion via SEXP
It looks as if this was done to prevent the outer arms from rotating around a nonexistent center.  And separately, piece4a was split into an outer and inner piece, and "piece4a" was made a subsystem.  And they now have destroyed submodel versions as well.

I tried turning piece-inner4a into a subsystem and giving it the "no replace" flag, but that didn't work.  We'll need one of the FSU modders to chime in.