Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 374639 times)

Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
version .16 is out. new eva features. for new and exciting ways to kill kerbonaughts.

And because Squad have changed the updating system again the website has been pretty much gridlocked for the entire day...
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
and all my ships dont work and all the plugins i downloaded are borked. but i have jeb standing between the runway and the launch tower and have been shooting at him with rail guns.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Speaking of Jeb, I just managed to get updated to 0.16 and I find it locks up while loading MechJeb  :(

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It'll probably take a while before all those popular plugin mods are updated to work in 0.16. It's less surprising that the update broke the plugins.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.

Really guys?  I leave you alone for five minutes...

Yeah, I took Bill out for an EVA, but also played with my graphics settings a bit.  Went back to the rocket only to watch it tip over...

So I decided to at least make a scene out of it.

EDIT:  Made one a bit more stable, and landed on flatter ground.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:34:34 pm by Retsof »
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

I finally managed to land near that arch on the Mun.

Lets just say that I think its not safe for EVA ops...

[attachment deleted by a ninja]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:35:37 pm by butter_pat_head »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i got 2 kerbals orbiting mun. after some upper stage engines failed while attempting to land my munbase, leaving the station on a death vector. i managed to abandon ship with all 3 kerbals, and put 2 of them back in orbit using most of their jetpack fuel. i attempted landing with the third kerbal with disastrous results. then i got another munbase in orbit with 3 kerbals on board who also need to be evacuated.  this base stranded cause the new engines were uncontrollable and i had to eject them. the munbase consists of a couple of my 19-engine couplers, and some crew tanks (5 of them) sandwiched in between. i figure theres enough space to accomidate 18 of the little bastards, assuming jeb doesnt convert one of the modules to a bar. landing struts ladders and other features included. these parts include a large amount of descent fuel, so no extra tankage is required. reguardless after these two launches i perfected the base design, used engines that didnt suck, and rearranged my rcs thrusters as well as beefed up the structure. the capsule sits atop the whole thing with the descent stage is attached atop of that with a decoupler so it can be ejected after landing using the hover and eject technique. its configured much like an oversized abort tower, but with a lot more power.

so just got my 3rd moon base in orbit, with working engines and plenty of fuel. too much in fact, i want to lighten the load somewhat. so i decided to do a little rescue mission, to populate the base. with 5 kerbals to rescue i have something to do with all that surplus delta-v. there are also 6 kerbals on the ground occupying a rover and a wrecked ship (jeb among them, hince the wrecked ship) who would just love a place to stay. now i just need to figure out how to do a a sync orbit and rendezvous manuvers. ive already done the plane alignment, easy enough to do by eyeball (ksp's interface is good at that). and syncing orbit is just a matter of deviating slightly from the target's orbit and waiting. manuvers i learned to do playing orbiter.

the last manuver is kinda trickey. even if you get to where you can stay fairly close to the target throughout the orbit. the slight differences tend do cause a psudo-orbit where from either object's frame of reference the other object is always rotating around it. i could do the maneuver in orbiter by watching the orbital velocity parameter and trying to closely match velocity vectors while closing distance until i was in transponder range and could lock onto it with the docking mfd. the problem is (besides the fact i dont have a relative velocity gauge or docking mfd) the time it takes to do this allows both objects to follow their orbits somewhat, and its very easy to end up on a course that diverges greatly from where you had intended to be. i need more instrumentation to pull this off i figure. i could try to do it by eyeball. but the ship has plenty of fuel and the manuvers dont use much, and the last quarter tank should do the job. but im going to bed right now, i got to think about this some. maybe il post some pictures of the thing when its on the surface/rescuing kerbals.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 05:01:27 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I may be (well i know i am) late to take an interest in this. But i think i'll give it a go after work today. It's free right?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I may be (well i know i am) late to take an interest in this. But i think i'll give it a go after work today. It's free right?

1.3.3 is available as a "demo"
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Will happily try the demo out. I'd check the site at work, but work are fickle and every gaming site worth visiting
Spoiler:
(apart from this glorious masterpiece of HLP'ness of course)
is blocked.

Any good features in the full thingamywotsit?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
EVAs are the newest big game mechanic added, there's a second set of rocket parts for the three-man Command Module, parts for making aircraft and shuttles, a second satellite, and a remade terrain engine.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
not to mention persistent objects, you launch it it stays there. and theres a useful quicksave feature, so you can retry that botched mun landing without having to launch another rocket. theres also minmus which i dont think was in the demo. and theres also a plugin system that can be useful.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.

Well, though my Munar lander damaged (detached) an engine upon landing, I managed to get a rescue ship there with room for everyone.  The problem is, that the "rescue" lander lacks the fuel to return... Well, their supplies should last them quite a while.  I wonder what files I would edit to simulate a fuel transfer...
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think if found a good technique for rendezvous manuvers. as you recall i had 5 kerbals stuck in munar orbit. 3 from a derelect munbase who's descent engines were non functional thanks to an assembly error. and 2 others who had bailed from another munbase, which also lacked functional descent engines and was on a doomed trajectory (there were 3 kerbals on board, one tried to land with his jetpack and went splat). to do the job i constructed a crew transfer vehicle, with space aboard for 13 kerbals.

anyway after aligning the orbital planes and a sync orbit manuver, and a lot of waiting. i get close to the taget. a burn is needed to close the gap in your velocities, prograde if its faster, retro if otherwise. this wont last for long, there is always some divergence between the trajectories. if the planes werent aligned well you would get north and south divergence. but since that was taken care of with an earlier manuver its not an issue (though you may have inadvertently diverged with other manuvers). you still diverge either toward or away from the planet and you need to do something about this. you really cant use prograde and retrograde manuvers either since these are needed to control relative speed. the trick i found was to burn towards or away from the planet to control the altitude divergence, while using prograde and retrograde burns to control relative speed. through a series of these burns you can get close.

inside 1km is good enough for an eva, i figure you could do a much longer approach as i didnt use a lot of the jetpack fuel, but these would be subject to greater perturbations. so i depart my crippled installation (its meant to work in gravity, it doesnt even have zero g bathrooms!) . essentially the trick here is to make the distance number smaller, without overshooting the target. pick up a reasonable amount of speed and wait. observe the stations movements in relation to the kerbal, and try to make the station hold a spot on the screen. this will make sure your headed to it and not just spinning around it.

when its close enough that you get an idea of your speed, its probibly time to slow down and go for the ladder.

and there we go, a ship full of kerbals, like 8 of them if i learned how to count right. theres room for 5 more, but then they would have to share their beer. but im gonna take em to the munbase with the working descent stage and room for 28 and see if they dont die when i try to land the thing. they can meat up with the other 2 crews on the surface and have a bbq.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:42:19 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
munar colonization continues!

after abit it became clear that ground transportation in the munar colony was lacking. kerbals were getting stranded 3 klicks from base when their jetpacks ran out. some rovers had been landed previously however, jeb being the daredevil that he is had wrecked all of them. so the eggheads at the vab modified the base launcher to carry a small motorcade.

unfortunately it blew up, so a second launch was planned. this time it went off without a hitch.

a little unforeseen problem arose. when the moon buggies were detached the base had to lift off again and land a little ways away. by the time they had the thing on the ground again all the buggies had rolled away. after some buggy wrangling, and swinging around to pick up bob who was stranded only a klick and a half away. after all they needed a 4th driver to take the cars to base.

following this the colonists had planned a outdoor nighttime meeting to figure out what kind of hardware they would demand next.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The smile on my face... You can not concieve of it...

:D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
man, those mods are awesome.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
oooh the autom8 dohicky in mechjeb is a lua interpreter. will have to play with that.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
hey quiestion, the free version will not support those new vehicles right?
el hombre vicio...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
No, the Demo doesn't have plugin support.