Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 374393 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
FYI, one of the .17.1 updates was removing the parachute unspawning when deployed high speeds (!).  I was wondering what was going on.  :lol:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Using docking and fuel transfer I just launched a successful twelve-ship mission to Duna. feels good man

Offline crizza

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
A Mass Relay network would be absolutely hilarious to find. I expect it to eventually happen as a mod.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i launched a 6 ship duna mission (5 now as one of the fuel post has gone empty), it hasnt gotten there yet. fast forwarding would get in the way of my munar stripmining activities.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline newman

Landed pretty much everywhere with stock parts and kind of got bored of them so I went to check out what new mod parts are available these days. This made it possible to make a, shall we say, different approach to landing on other planets / moons :) I made some kind of truck / helicopter hybrid (basically just slammed two VTOL rotors on the thing) to see if this would even fly. Surprisingly enough, when thrust and mass centers coincide this thing actually flies like a proper helicopter, so after testing it on Kerbin, I decided to test it a bit further away: on Laythe (one of Jool's moons; Jool is a gas giant and currently the outermost planet in the Kerbol system - call it a Jupiter analog for lack of a better one. Laythe is an ocean moon that seems to be all about sandy beaches on it's bunch of small islands; perfect vacation spot for Jeb and the gang).

So, I slapped this truck with rotors on a massive rocket. What could go wrong?

Trucks in spaaaaceee!

Here's something you don't see from a truck's cabin every day. Chew on that, History Channel.

Picked a landing spot in relative vicinity of one of my previous landed missions. What's the point of awesome maneuvers if nobody's around to see your showing off, after all?

Amazingly enough, after ditching the interplanetary stage, the helicopter / rover stage didn't decide to have any nasty stability issues and instead flew like you'd expect a real helicopter to. That's definitely one of the cooler ways to land a spaceship :)

Lots of fuel left in the truck's main tank, these VTOL rotors are pretty efficient. Doesn't exactly fly too fast (managed to get it flying close to 100 m/s while maintaining a 500m altitude) and it's ceiling is just below 10k, but it's certainly a better way to explore Laythe than just having a regular rover - this thing can drive just fine, but it can also air hop between islands.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Nice, Newman. :)

I just discovered the hard way that jet engines don't work on Eve. So much for that round-trip... (I'd been counting on the jet engines to get me most of the way out of the atmosphere with good fuel efficiency).

Offline newman

Yea, Eve is difficult to get back from. Once you get down there it sticks to you like glue :) I wonder if the helicopter rotors might function well to handle a part of the ascent though - get you through the thickest part of that soup it's got for atmo, than ditch them and burn Nervas. Due to the thick atmo I suspect the VTOL rotors would remain effective on much higher altitudes than on Laythe.

Doing a round trip stock only.. I tried several times. Only combos I came up with are either having enough fuel but not having enough power to take off again, or having enough power but not nearly enough fuel to get back into orbit. Fairly sure it's possible but it stopped being fun after lots of attempts so I went to have some fun with different stuff. Like my "Dune Jumper" rover/chopper hybrid :)

BTW, have you landed on Moho? I was finally able to put a one man capsule down there; used what was left of the interplanetary stage to get close to the surface in a vertical descent, then when the engines started seriously overheating and I wasn't able to maintain enough throttle to slow myself down, I detached the last stage (one man pod + RCS tank + thrusters) and managed to land on RCS only. Reaching orbit again is a no-go using this approach, though.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
For a moment there I thought you were talking about a very different Eve, but then I realized I clicked on the KSP thread... :drevil:

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

BTW, have you landed on Moho? I was finally able to put a one man capsule down there; used what was left of the interplanetary stage to get close to the surface in a vertical descent, then when the engines started seriously overheating and I wasn't able to maintain enough throttle to slow myself down, I detached the last stage (one man pod + RCS tank + thrusters) and managed to land on RCS only. Reaching orbit again is a no-go using this approach, though.

I got one rover down on Moho, haven't tried to do a round-trip yet.

A lot of round-trip things are going to be much easier in .18, when we get docking and multiple CMs (so we can do ultralight Apollo-style landers that don't need to carry all the fuel to get home as well).

Still working on the landing/return vehicle for my next Eve attempt. I think it's got a chance, although I need to tweak the rocket to make sure I've got enough fuel to get it there. I just need another 6-800 delta-V...

Offline newman

Well, I've found that a 3x3x5 large tank ascent stage with 8 mainsails gets any interplanetary stage I want into orbit, or very close to one :)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Is it at the point where you can dock/reconnect with other ships? 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Is it at the point where you can dock/reconnect with other ships?

You can do that right now with mods, or next release on stock.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I miss this soooooooooooo much...

Any Orions/Sobeks floating around yet?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i know theres at least one other person in the freespace community making mods for ksp. mine are kinda crappy and im not sure i want to continue makeing them. but that said it doesnt seem like it would be hard to import freespace models into the game. youd probibly have to sub-divide ships into parts though (however the way they do parts modules might make it possible just to have single part ships, ive seen some mods that do that already). like what if the ancients were kerbals?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Explains how they died off. :lol:

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
i know theres at least one other person in the freespace community making mods for ksp. mine are kinda crappy and im not sure i want to continue makeing them. but that said it doesnt seem like it would be hard to import freespace models into the game. youd probibly have to sub-divide ships into parts though (however the way they do parts modules might make it possible just to have single part ships, ive seen some mods that do that already). like what if the ancients were kerbals?

Well, if you go and split the ships we love so much into sort of modules... we could then create all sorts of absolute monstrosities in KSP...

Just remember to make them realistically sized. I mean, how hard could it be to have a real sized Orion in KSP?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline watsisname

We're gonna need a bigger VAB. :p
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Get the VAB obliterator plugin. It should do the trick.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Explains how they died off. :lol:

they let jeb build and fly the subspace assault ship.

Nuke's Scripting SVN