Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 373797 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Holy crap... I need to spend more money.

Offline crizza

Is it just me or will maneuver nodes make travelling much easier for...noobs like me?^^

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Probably. I'm really anticipating 0.18. I've been playing since 0.8.0--it was one of the last things I did before graduating. I sat down in a computer lab between finals and played for a while.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Is it just me or will maneuver nodes make travelling much easier for...noobs like me?^^

You already got protractor, but yeah, I think the nodes will be a big deal.

Offline crizza

I'm still stuck with the demo ;)

Offline newman

Sticking to the demo wasn't a good idea unless finances were really dire - differences between demo and full got so big, especially with the latest versions, that the two versions are barely comparable; the full version offers so much more than the demo, it feels like a completely different game (a much better one). I got the whole thing back when it was 7$. As far as the bang for buck ratio is concerned, best gaming investment I ever made. Of course now it's over double that, and it'll just rise. Still worth every penny.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Sticking to the demo wasn't a good idea unless finances were really dire - differences between demo and full got so big, especially with the latest versions, that the two versions are barely comparable; the full version offers so much more than the demo, it feels like a completely different game (a much better one). I got the whole thing back when it was 7$. As far as the bang for buck ratio is concerned, best gaming investment I ever made. Of course now it's over double that, and it'll just rise. Still worth every penny.
You and me both. I spent $7 on it on August 12, 2011.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I should have bought it then...

Offline crizza

Bought it for 18$...something around 14€...
So future updates are for free...sweet I guess.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i missed the 7$ window by a couple days. i forget what i ended up paying.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
looks like .18 just came out, downloading nao!
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline crizza

Hm...While I have a plane that is actually not crashing,  a spaceship is beyoind my...skills.
But if the update is for free...who cares^^
Edit: anyone else gets a servererror?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:50:01 am by crizza »

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Yay 0.18 is out!! I'm updating now!

Anyways, grab the new patcher and make a new directory for it.

Maneuver nodes are immensely helpful.  I had only managed to intercept Eve once in 0.17, which involved about a ten year chase on an orbit slightly inside Eve's, and the rest of the planets (save the Mun and Minmus) not at all.  Playing around in the wee hours of the morning, after the 0.18 release, my first interplanetary rocket got to Duna, orbited Ike a few times and then returned to Kerbin, with a final gravity assist from Ike on the way out.  The only reason I didn't touch down on either body was because the ship was designed to land on Minmus, where it would be light enough to land on the engine without knocking it off.

Upon return, I dropped the command capsule 30km west of the space center, upon completion of the nearly one-year mission.  With the capsule that close to base, I decided to make a rescue rover, using one of the probe modules and the large shuttle cockpit.  The pilots are now sitting comfortably outside the VAB, where they can watch further launches from a safe distance or join further missions, if I make some obnoxiously huge, multi-capsule vessel.

Methinks an orbital fuel depot is in order, so that subsequent interplanetary missions don't require the same massive, unwieldy rockets, unless I just happen to feel like derping around with a giant bomb that might happen to fly.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
I've been trying to put up a space station. It's tough to figure out what I want to build up there, though. My early designs have a fuel tank and 6-way port. I forgot about docking clamps on it though--so I can't dock anything even if I wanted to.

Next design will probably keep the big fuel tank for cargo (and 3 tiny radial engines for adjusting orbit) but I'm trying to think of how to adjust it. Unfortunately, MechJeb isn't yet an option. (No 0.18 release yet.)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Docking (and multiple CMs on a ship at launch) is immensely fun and satisfying. I've been itching to do a proper Apollo-style lander mission forever.

I couldn't get crew transfer to work without doing EVA, though, which was slightly annoying.

I have a hub with two habitation modules currently in a 110km orbit.

I've been rather ambitious with my fuel depot design, given how much excess fuel my lift vehicle had, upon reaching orbit.  The problem I'm running into with lifting the depot is that I have a whole lot of thrust at the back and a whole lot of mass at the front, and an itty-bitty control probe, sandwiched in the middle.  I've got a mess of struts distributing the competing loads well enough to get the ship out of the atmosphere, but when I was burning to establish orbit, I dropped the last of my radial stages, and the thrust from the central stage was still sufficient to overwhelm the remaining struts and crush the probe.  I think a certain measure of finesse will be the solution, rather than MOAR STRUTS, but we'll see.  Struts, after all, are a less finite resource than my available level of finesse.

I'll post some screenshots, when I'm a little more awake and have a little more of a station to show off.

Offline crizza

Puh...I'm just too stupid ro get a rocket in space o.O
And, I have to reinstall the whole game, 'cause saving is impossible.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
what
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.