Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 374441 times)

Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
Anyone remember The Probulator?

Its great-great grandfather turns out to have been the Probulator 1000.

It still has the last part of the lift stage attached, but this is my first unmanned mission out to interplanetary space.  Since the intensity of light from the sun in KSP doesn't follow the inverse-squares law, like light does in the real world, Probulator 1000 will soon be on its way out to Jool and possibly Dres to see how well solar panels function at great distances from the sun.

In the planning phases are Probulator series 2000, 3000, and 4000, being (in no particular order) a probe carrier, a geological probe, and an orbital probe.

Further out, I'm considering manned missions to Gilly and Moho, now that you can land on them, instead of having your rockets eaten by defective meshes.  For something rather more ambitious, I want to do a land-on-and-return-from Eve mission.  Before that, though, I'll want an unmanned fuel depot in orbit of Eve, so that I can undertake the mission confident that, if the lander can get free of Eve's atmosphere, it won't have to worry about having too little fuel to get home.

One mission at a time, though.  More from Probulator 1000 to come.

Offline newman

Solar panels produce less electricity at Jool distances, but I've found it's still enough to run the probe core and all the instruments aboard. I wouldn't count on them powering an ion drive at those distances though - pack RTGs if you're going far away from the sun on ion propulsion. Heck, pack RTGs if you're going anywhere on ion propulsion, solar panels are inadequate, and will likely force you to keep the throttle at 1/3 or so to prevent the batteries from draining, and you won't be doing any burns in a planet's shadow.

Ion drives are boring anyways. Burns take forever and they suck with orbital maneuvers, such as slowing yourself down into an orbit, where having more power and shorter burn durations helps.

Moho worked before, at least for me, though it had the overheating atmosphere problem that made landings very difficult (or easy, if you take a light, RCS only lander). In 0.18 Moho's atmosphere is gone and there's no overheating, you can land on it just like you would on the Mun. Gilly's collision mesh has been fixed since 0.17.1 so knock yourself out with that one :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

The Best of Both Probes, Part 2
Think about it at your own peril.

Since we last left off, Kerbal Space Command demonstrated that they do care more for their expensive probes than their cheap Kerbonauts, by waiting for Jool to get into roughly the right position, before sending the Probulator 1000 chasing after it.  That chase began on the night side of Kerbin, beginning with the last of the lift stage's fuel.  Once that was expended, the probe dropped its lift stage and started its ion engines at low throttle to stretch its battery capacity, until morning.  When the sun did rise, the probe rolled to maximize solar exposure to its panels and throttled up.

Because the total thrust provided by the ion engines is so low, it's pretty easy to set up and tune close-encounters from half a year out, while still in Kerbin's sphere of influence.

About sixty days out from my Jool encounter, I set up a final correction maneuver, which would put me in an equatorial orbit over Jool, with a low periapsis, and promising a Laythe encounter, if I weren't planning to capture over Jool itself.

Ion drives are boring anyways. Burns take forever and they suck with orbital maneuvers, such as slowing yourself down into an orbit, where having more power and shorter burn durations helps.

4,200s specific impulse.  I've completed my Kerbin-Jool transfer "burn" (if it can be called such a thing) and fine-tuning maneuver to put me Jool's equatorial orbital plane, with a 175km periapsis, all while using less than a third of the Probulator 1000's xenon fuel.  Your impatience does not negate the unimpeachable efficiency of ion propulsion in KSP.  Their ability to suck through electricity also goes to the point of the experiment of seeing exactly how well solar panels work at ludicrous distances from the sun.  The sustainable throttle level, under solar exposure, will provide a practical measure of the panels' effectiveness.

Finally, leaving those ion engines fully dependent on solar power adds another layer of challenge to space flight, which I'm quite enjoying.  I've got to ration out battery power on night-side maneuvers and constantly consider the probe's orientation, relative to the sun, to maximize solar exposure.  Having to be more aware and plan around more obstacles is quite the opposite of boring.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Yeah, I actually like the ion drives; the lack of thrust can actually work in your favor if you attach them to things that require extremely precise maneuvers. I wish there was a larger ion drive in stock parts (I'm aware there's at least one mod with bigger ones, but it's "re-balanced" and I can't be arsed to go into the mod files and change the consumption rates). Or just make it a bit more scalable in that the maximum thrust would be less of a hard limit and more limited by max power output - actual ion thrusters work that way, as far as I'm aware.

I'm finally getting the hang of docking things, after feeling like a total moron for a while because of failing pretty hard at it. Space stations ahoy!

Offline newman

I'm not saying ion drives aren't efficient - it's just a matter of personal preference. Ion drives have their uses, but for the most part I've preferred to use the good old nuclear engines, which is pretty much the only way to go to Jool if you want to deliver a payload of 5 probes on a large interplanetary craft that you mean to use as a fuel depot for future missions. So it's not so much impatience as a matter of being practical for the task at hand - which is different with every player, and so are the solutions. I'd say there's no wrong way to do it in KSP as long as you achieve what you set out to do.

Also, check out the price of a single ion engine in the VAB - once we get a real career mode in where money's a factor I'd wager you'll want to be really careful what you use these for.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:04:10 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
And now for something completely different

Not sure if anything can be done with this at all...  :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline newman

A space dragon! It needs a small LFE in it's mouth to make it appear to breathe fire :) Is that yours or..?

Offline crizza

Don't tell me this is possible without using a mod :eek2:

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
HT's successfully bridged the gap between KSP and MC and built a Kerbal Ender Dragon.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken