Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 374376 times)

Offline watsisname

Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
Meanwhile, the Eve fleet is now eleven days out.

??

[img snip]

It has been suggested that the naming of the planet Eve was no accident, as it draws you in, with its intense gravity, and won't let you go, with its thick atmosphere.

But it doesn't have Dickstars.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

So, the spaceplane crashed.  Turns out that with the jet engines removed, the center of mass shifts so far forward, that it just can't keep its nose up.  Between that effort and maneuvering another interplanetary oiler between bodies in the Kerbin system, the Eve fleet got close enough to Eve's SOI that I had to start juggling ships again.

So far so good, on that front too.  After their final correction burns, there was plenty of time for me to perform a capture maneuver with each of the eight vessels.  I put them all in 250km x 62,000km orbits, so that I can do plane-change maneuvers, using as little delta-V as possible.  Seven out of the eight ships made their first plane-change, with the eighth passing its apoapsis, while I was shuffling fuel around in the Eve lander, so that I wouldn't lose anything but mass, when I ditched its interplanetary stage.  The nice thing about orbiting, though, is that you can just wait until the ship comes round again to make up for a missed maneuver.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I'm not awesome enough yet to be trying things like returning from Eve and building freakin' shipyards, so I've been messing around with trying to make weapons (without downloading specific weapon mod packs - kinda takes the fun out of it IMHO). Already have a few pretty solid cruise missiles, complete with reusable RATO launch carts and more rocket boosters for extra acceleration after target is locked and terminal course is achieved. I can get nice solid hits on whatever target I want, with a CEP of probably 10m or so. Everything is better with more rocket boosters.

Also been trying to make an ICBM (easy) with at least 6 or 8 MIRVs (not so easy). The most difficult part is that the stock parts and even the NovaPunch pack (which I did download), don't have any fins small enough for the half-meter MIRVs, so they have to be spin-stabilised, with enough delta-V to deorbit (well, technically they're suborbital to begin with, but you guys know what I mean) themselves and make minute corrections.

I'm noticing that, slowly but surely, I'm tuning down my tendency to overengineer things. KISS is a good thing.

UPDATE! Pictures.  :D

Kerbin Dynamics' newest cruise missile design. It cruises and stuff. The RATO rig is a bit different than the reusable one I'd been using. I forgot to get a picture of the half-dozen RATO rigs sitting in the grass past the end of the runway, with a few in the drink right off of the beach.

We are go for takeoff.

Jeb thought using a torpedo sonar as a guidance system was a good money-saving measure, but he forgot to turn his music down (was aiming for the windows - close enough).

And now, presenting the Kerbalhammer II Orbital Ballistic Missile. The Kerbals laugh at puny human treaties banning orbit-capable weapons systems.

Automated message: Kerbalhammer II launch successful.

Automated message: Kerbalhammer II orbital injection burn in progress. Separation of solid booster stage confirmed. Targeting information transferred to payload systems.

Automated message: Orbital injection burn completed. Jettisoning payload for independent re-entry.

Automated message: Payload detached and prepared for re-entry. Targets acquired; guidance computers active. Compensating for aerial drag factor. Optimal re-entry profiles established. Commencing retrograde burn.

Automated message: MIRV detachment confirmed. Terminal velocity profiles reached. Probability of mission failure zero percent. Calculated CEP five hundred meters. Neutralization of primary target imminent.

Automated message: Destruction of primary target confirmed. Casualties high. Destruction catastrophic.

Okay, not particularly impressive compared to some of the feats in this thread, but I had fun with it. One particularly fun moment was when I started the de-orbit burn on my "payload." The ninth picture, the lower stage? Yeah, that piece went whizzing by at ludicrous relative speed and almost took out the payload. Embarrassing failure avoided!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:43:36 pm by TwentyPercentCooler »

A thirsty fleet demands a bigger fueling vehicle!

Visibility from within the cockpit is ****.

One of those thirsty fleet vehicles is the interplanetary oiler, which needs to burn off its payload to make orbit, so let's gas one up!

Now, there was a question of landing capability.  Doing test landings, all parachutes and a full-throttle powered burn couldn't slow the thing down enough to stop the RCS tanks (because they're in an obviously vulnerable position) from exploding, upon touchdown.  Those test landings were done with full payload tanks, though, so with the payload drained, it would hopefully be safe to land.

This is a make-sure-you-get-it-right vehicle, since an attempt to abort will result in you having to land with full payload tanks, thereby peppering your command pod with RCS tank shrapnel.  If you get it to its destination, so that it can offload that excess fuel, then you're golden.

Now, catching up with the Eve fleet.  Formation flight!

Okay, it's a loose formation....

My efforts to get the ships into similar orbits, immediately upon their encounter with Eve, were unsuccessful.

Well, **** it.  We've got fuel, so let's start maneuvering.  The station hub was first in the queue to capture, getting quite a view of the planet's mercury oceans, in the process.

Then, the backup spacebus got a close look at several lakes and impact craters.

Next, the first fuel ship, burning over several larger lakes/seas and craters.

The lander was next in the queue, and while I thought about just dropping it straight onto Eve, but ultimately elected against that course.

Then the station power module came up for its capture.  Those big solar arrays each normally have a power output of 14.00 around Kerbin.  Near Eve, it's thirty-four to thirty-six.  (You're actually close enough that variation in your altitude above the planet produces a measureable impact on your solar panels' energy output.)  This helps run those ion engines at full-throttle, even without full exposure of the solar panels.

Then the damaged spacebus.  It's still doing quite well for fuel, but I still don't want to risk sending crew back on it.  Ultimately, one dumb shmuck brave pilot will attempt to fly it back to Kerbin, while the other two crewmembers will be evacuated to the spare passenger slots on the fully functional spacebusses.

Almost finally, the undamaged of the original spacebusses, which got quite a view of a crater formation, including a couple of partially-flooded craters.

The second fuel ship lagged behind the rest of the fleet by over a day.  It got a look at the terrible orbital ribcage that I had constructed around Eve, prior to getting pulled in.

This ship came in on a nearly-polar orbit, and performed its capture burn over the most boring chunk of land that Eve has to offer.....except for that zit.  I may have to find out what that's all about.

Thus it came to pass that Eve's ribcage would have a sternum.

And I left off with the screenshots, shortly after the landing craft ditched its transit stage.  Now, I made an effort to ensure that the spent stage's orbit would catch Eve's upper atmosphere and eventually crash into the planet.  Then, I used the lander's NERVA to distance itself from the debris, which blew the spent stage away just hard enough to put it back into a stable orbit.

I guess you wouldn't know I'd been, if I didn't leave behind some kind of navigation hazard.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
I finally got the full version and started designing and flying rockets.

Powered flight into terrain.

Falls off the launching pad sideways and explodes.

Mutiny  - pilot refuses flight orders until I figure out what I'm doing a bit better.

Labor negotiations proceed successfully.

Powered flight into terrain. Again.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline newman

Had an issue with my computer (fixed now) that resulted in the system BSOD-ing on me while running KSP. I lost most of my flights, including all space stations and the Discovery - luckily I kept making backups of the persistence file at regular intervals, which means nothing was actually lost, I just lost a few hours of game time but every ship is still there and running.

So, yeah. Making a backup of your persistence file from time to time is a pretty good idea if you have stuff saved that you wouldn't want to lose. While it was annoying to lose a few hours worth of gameplay, it's a mere inconvenience compared to losing everything.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:57:30 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline watsisname

This is quite possibly the greatest thing I have ever seen in KSP.  FTL Kerbal Strut Eggs.  That's right.  You build this giant ****ing egg thing out of struts and **** and you put a Kerbal in it and it ****ing GOES.  This is the future of Kerbal Space Flight.  I dunno wtf you're all doing with rockets and engines and ****, **** that noise.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Just imagine, these instead of conventional propulsion methods attached to spacecraft with little Kerbals inside pedaling away to a super efficient future! Bet the Wright Brothers never thought of this when they had their bike shop

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you've inspired me to go build a kerbal trebuchet
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I decided to try my hand at some unmanned probes to scout the other moons of Jool while building some spaceships. Using a Duna assist, it'll take some nice images of the Mun, Duna, and Jool's moons before the next manned mission is sent.

Far Explorer I signs off from the Mun and begins it's year long journey.

Meanwhile the Pathfinder, the first prototype large interplanetary ship, is being tested in orbit of Minmus along with a small moon/asteroid lander. (second lander is on Minmus)

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Kerbal trebuchet? WAIT!

Kerbal Chunkin' contest incoming!

Offline newman

Ok, this was the hardest thing I've ever done in KSP, but I did successfully put a kerbonaut on Eve surface, and then returned him back home safe and sound.

First, I needed to get the selected lander design up in orbit, fuel it up, and dock two tugs to it that would deliver it to Eve orbit.

Then I transferred the crew over to the shuttle using my MRT (Mobile Ramp Tower).

The shuttle then delivered the mission crew over to the Discovery, docked at Waypoint Station. With an all systems go given, the Discovery then departed Waypoint and made it's way to Eve, where it met up with the Defiant lander.

Then it transferred some of it's fuel reserves over to the lander's two tugs, so they can deorbit it. Nielbin then EVA'd over to the lander.

Tugs doing a deorbit burn. They were ditched afterwards.

...and we're down. It needed a few dabs of the throttle prior to full chute deployments (drogue at 2500m, mains at 500m) to prevent it from falling apart.

The easy part.

Time for the hard part...

As long as this thing keeps going up without tipping over, I'll be happy.

Stage 1 ditched.

Stage 2 ditched, still going up. That's about all you can ask for when going back from Eve. It's very simple: up is good, down is certain death.

Moment of truth: if the last stage doesn't have enough fuel to finish orbital insertion, it's all over for Nielbin.

And back in a 300km orbit! That's a relief..

Discovery arriving to pick Nielbin back up.

Might as well pay Gilly a visit as long as we're here. Not like we're coming back after "Project Cluster****", as the Eve landing project was affectionately nicknamed, was over.. Probes, yes, manned visits, no thanks. Once was hard enough.

Orbiting Gilly at the incredible speed of 14.9 m/s...

No need for landers here.

Rendezvous back with the Discovery. Joncan's suit RCS tank is at about 40% at this point.

Time to burn for home.

After aerobraking at Kerbin, the Discovery safely docked back at Waypoint Station.

The shuttle returned to pick the crew up..

..and then returned them safely inside visual range of the KSC.

tl;dr version: sent a Kerbonaut to Eve and returned him safely home! Yay! That's one itch scratched :)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:55:38 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Great job. I've redesigned my SSTO, then left it laying about as I assembled the MIR. It's almost complete, I'm only waiting for Tiberdyne shuttle to be updated (since I gave up on attaching the Docking Compartment with the current one, it's too unbalanced).

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Damn, KSP has really changed since last I checked it out
"No"

Amazing job, newman.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken